shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the 1.52 ct. tanzanite that I received in the mail today from Gene. It measures 7.7mm. Most of the pictures I took along with its friends also from Gene - a yellow grossularite garnet that is 1.8 ct. and measures 7.6mm. The tsavorite which is 1.5 ct and measures 6.75mm I posted in August but decided to repost since all three stones will be going into a three stone pendant. My pictures do not do these stones justice so I apologize to Gene for making the stones not look as pretty as they really are!

PA211526.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Yellow grossularite...

PA211530.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Original picture I took back in August of the smaller tsavorite and the large one...

P81803591.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
It''s interesting how the small tsavorite looks different when I photographed it today. It has no yellow secondary. If anyone thinks they see yellow it could be since it''s sitting next to the yellow garnet.

PA211536.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Another...

PA211547.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock

PA211542.JPG

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Last one I think...

PA211537.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful - that should make one heck of a pendant!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s going to be a great pendant too. To prevent the yellow garnet from influencing the colour of the tsavorite (which I know has blue), how about putting the tanzanite in the center instead? How does that look?

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
That''ll be a lovely pendant.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, ma re, Chrono and oddoneout. Chrono, if I have time later day I might reorient the stones and take some more photos. I don''t think the yellow grossularite influences the tsavorite in real life so much. It seems to be more an effect in the pictures.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Are you thinking of using only white metal for the whole pendant, or maybe playing with colors some more? For instance you could set the tsav in white, gross in yellow (probably can't hurt it, only make it an even nicer shade of yellow) and tanz in rose (could make it slightly more violetish, if that's something you'd like).

Just a suggestion.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 11:10:18 AM
Author: ma re
Are you thinking of using only white metal for the whole pendant, or maybe playing with colors some more? For instance you could set the tsav in white, gross in yellow (probably can''t hurt it, only make it an even nicer shade of yellow) and tanz in rose (could make it slightly more violetish, if that''s something you''d like).

Just a suggestion.
I am going to have Julia Kay Taylor do this pendant for me. I had wanted the tanzanite (the tsavorite too) in white gold but had a feeling she would not like doing that because I know jewelers dislike working with white gold. And because it is a tanzanite and a bezel which would make it difficult. She said she''d be willing to do it if she could use 18K or 22K yellow gold. I don''t know anything about how easy rose gold is to work with but that would certainly be pretty.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy color combo!

I had thought of having Julia bezel my tanzanite, but I was worried about the intricate outline getting lost. I think it would look gorgeous in rose gold though!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
What pretty stones! I think it will be a lovely pendant!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. They will look great together.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 5:16:49 PM
Author: Cind11

I am going to have Julia Kay Taylor do this pendant for me. I had wanted the tanzanite (the tsavorite too) in white gold but had a feeling she would not like doing that because I know jewelers dislike working with white gold. And because it is a tanzanite and a bezel which would make it difficult. She said she''d be willing to do it if she could use 18K or 22K yellow gold. I don''t know anything about how easy rose gold is to work with but that would certainly be pretty.
Well if you''re thinking bezels, there''s no particular reason why you couldn''t go with silver instead of white gold, and especially so if you''re on a budget. And if she''s OK with working with rose gold I''d suggest that YG is 22k (to make it more yellow) and that RG is 18k (to make it more rose). But it''s all up to your taste and personal preferences. I''m sure JKT will do a great job of guiding you through this project.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2009 5:25:06 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Yummy color combo!

I had thought of having Julia bezel my tanzanite, but I was worried about the intricate outline getting lost. I think it would look gorgeous in rose gold though!
Your stone does have a cool outline so I can see why you wouldn''t want to hide it. My tanzanite has a bit of a cool outline too but I like bezels so much better than prongs so...

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks packrat and marcyc!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 1:39:19 AM
Author: ma re

Date: 10/22/2009 5:16:49 PM

Well if you''re thinking bezels, there''s no particular reason why you couldn''t go with silver instead of white gold, and especially so if you''re on a budget. And if she''s OK with working with rose gold I''d suggest that YG is 22k (to make it more yellow) and that RG is 18k (to make it more rose). But it''s all up to your taste and personal preferences. I''m sure JKT will do a great job of guiding you through this project.
I am going to "talk" to Julia more in December and see what she is comfortable with. I did mention her argentium silver to her but didn''t get a definitive answer as to whether she''d be comfortable using that. Thanks for the suggestions.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not bezel a tanzanite, too soft. It would probably get damaged, chipped, and I''m not sure that Julia would want to do it (has she bezeled tanzanites before?).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 2:19:57 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I would not bezel a tanzanite, too soft. It would probably get damaged, chipped, and I'm not sure that Julia would want to do it (has she bezeled tanzanites before?).

She has, you can see the pieces on her website. Funnily enough, they were trillions too, haha.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/23/2009 2:23:06 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

I would not bezel a tanzanite, too soft. It would probably get damaged, chipped, and I''m not sure that Julia would want to do it (has she bezeled tanzanites before?).

She has, you can see the pieces on her website. Funnily enough, they were trillions too, haha.
Cudos to JKT. She sounds like a great benchperson. Her work is lovely and if she can bezel a tanzanite, I''m impressed!!
9.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
She said she would be willing to bezel it if she used 18K or 22K yellow gold.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Love the colors, and I think you could put it all in YG without making the tsav appear yellow; it appears a nice pure green on my monitor.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 4:10:35 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Love the colors, and I think you could put it all in YG without making the tsav appear yellow; it appears a nice pure green on my monitor.
I was kind of wondering about that. I wouldn''t want to make it appear yellow when it isn''t!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 4:18:33 PM

I was kind of wondering about that. I wouldn''t want to make it appear yellow when it isn''t!

Yup, personally I''m normally more of a WG kind of gal, but I think the purple of tanzanite looks great in YG, as well the yellow grossular...and I don''t think the tsav will be harmed by it one bit.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 4:26:01 PM

Yup, personally I''m normally more of a WG kind of gal, but I think the purple of tanzanite looks great in YG, as well the yellow grossular...and I don''t think the tsav will be harmed by it one bit.
I did ask her if she bezels them all in yellow gold if she could somehow incorporate some white gold because I''d like to have some options as to what color chain to wear it with and any other jewelry.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 4:26:01 PM

I''d asked her if she could incorporate some WG somewhere on the pendant if all the stones end up being bezeled in yellow. That way I can wear it on a WG or YG chain and also wear it with my platinum e-ring.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/23/2009 8:15:13 PM

I''d asked her if she could incorporate some WG somewhere on the pendant if all the stones end up being bezeled in yellow. That way I can wear it on a WG or YG chain and also wear it with my platinum e-ring.
A WG pendant bail wouldn''t be complicated to do I''m guessing, and it would make the piece more versitile. Or you can suggest some WG elements between each of the stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results