shape
carat
color
clarity

Tanzanite color

stci

Ideal_Rock
Would like to know if it's a beautiful color for a tanzanite.

Your opinion please.

423956411_o.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It looks very grey to me. Also is it a shadow or is the color much darker towards the bottom of the stone? it seems to lack blue and purple flashes that make me love tanzanite.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hard to tell from just one photo but as it is, ditto what Sarahbear said. Not much purple in it. Also could have better saturation.

--- Laurie

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm worried about what looks like a window . . .

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Too pale and too grey for me I'm afraid.

ruffysdad

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think the right color of any stone is the one that turns you on. I had some very pale tanzanite melee once, that would have been classed too little color but it sure floated my boat. Imagine accent diamonds with just a snidge of blue/purple in them. Very pretty little stones and I've never been able to get anything like them since.

Pete

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful colour for one person may not be for another person. However, if you are asking what the trade desires, then it is a rich sapphire blue. The picture is also taken from an angle so there are other things to consider.

1. Window
This would not bother me if the colour is good and the price is right. With the picture taken at an angle, I see a tilt window which is normal. I cannot tell if it truly has a window unless you have a picture of the tanzanite straight down the table.
2. Trichroic
Depending on the angle, it will show different colours, in this case, three. One cannot tell if a stone is truly right for you based on a single picture.
3. Lighting
Again, the colour of the tanzanite is affected by the type of lighting (indoor, outdoor). Not knowing the lighting used, I’m not sure if this is the best or worst lighting for the stone.

This buying guide might help you make the right decision.
http://www.palagems.com/tanzanite_bancroft.htm

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1290484526|2776153 said:
It looks very grey to me.

Thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth. At least you said the "g" word, and not me!! :lol:

Fine tanzanite is a violetish blue and typically medium dark in tone, and very very saturated without any grey.

Lapigems.com has some nice tanzanites and a buying guide as well.
http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as I think it is beautiful.

Desirable color in trade terms is a whole different thing and has been covered well by the other posters here. So it sounds like this isn't a "top" color tanzanite, but if you love it, that's what matters. None of my tanzanites are anywhere near top color, but I love them all!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
Funny, it doesn't even look like a tanzanite to me. Although, it is in a pendent, which is what experts recommend as a setting for tanzanite.. I don't see a window, it seems like a light from above is reflected. It also seems opaque and is that checkerboard on top?

Annette

stci

Ideal_Rock
I will receive it these days and take better pics but I think (for the price I paid) it will not be a treasure! :bigsmile:

I'm really stupid when I look for good color and saturation. I can't see the grey in this stone. Don't know if I will be able to find a beautiful stone someday! :bigsmile:

Thank's for you opinion! You are nice! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best way to learn how to detect modifiers like grey and brown is to compare a gem with those of fine saturation of color. A gem show is a good place to learn. Enjoy your new tanzanite piece. :))

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
stci|1290576525|2777807 said:
I will receive it these days and take better pics but I think (for the price I paid) it will not be a treasure! :bigsmile:

I'm really stupid when I look for good color and saturation. I can't see the grey in this stone. Don't know if I will be able to find a beautiful stone someday! :bigsmile:

Thank's for you opinion! You are nice! :love:

I obviously don't have a discerning eye (yet) either. I'm looking at the stone and thinking... grey? I guess I can see it now when I'm looking at something true blue.

It looks very nice anyway. Enjoy and I hope you put up lots of pictures.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Chrono says, the trade prefers blue. And they may be quite expensive. I saw only one true blue, without any purple in it, and it was cut by Lisa. It was an excellent stone; hope she could bring more from her trips. If it is not blue, and is more violetish, it'd better be very saturated. The one in your picture is not, and it does have a greyish hint in my opinion.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone does have a touch of grey BUT if that's the colour that you prefer then there's no problem with it. The trade prefers more blue stones (with hardly any violet - or purple as people will perceive it). Generally speaking, consumers prefer violetish blue and this is my favourite also.

However, there is very little price difference between a top top top colour Tanzanite and one that is slightly too purple/too grey or other combinations so if the price is right then go for it!

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that these sorts of posts should include the prices of the pieces being inquired about. If the question is meant to inquire about how nice a color or other quality is for the price, then it would be helpful to know the price range along with having the picture. That's a great color if the pendant costs under $200 and the stone weighs around a carat. If the price is $500 then it changes things a little and if the price is $1000 it changes things a lot. The "nice-ness" of a color depends greatly on it's price. That particular tanzanite has a color which I would call a medium blue, it's not top, but then it's WAY above the bottom. If the price is right and you like it, then nothing else matters, (not even opinions from those of us in the peanut gallery).

stci

Ideal_Rock
Ok Michael... I paid $65 gold chain include. Suppose to be .75 ct. This is why I don't expect to have a treasure but I think I love it.

Will see when the package will arrive to home. 8)

You know, in my family, nobody are gem or diamond expert (+ me)! :D Perhaps I will wear this pendant and they will find it beautiful.

The first thing I will look for was window, saturation and grey tint. Probably It will be impossible to me to see those particularity! It will be the first time I will see a tanzanite for real! Imagine! :lol:

But I am here to listen and links gave by other ladies really help me to understand the saturation and what a beautiful tanzanite look like:

Is it true to say that saturation is very important no matter the type of stone?

tanzanite-45_10cts.jpg

tone-saturation-chart.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I could not keep it to myself... I bought this tanzanite from Lisa Elser. It is in transit. But it is clear blue. She had a round cut, rounds perform better but it was blue-purple and this one is just blue. I shall post real photos when I have it. But I already know what I am getting. Trust me, it has not been photoshopped. Since I am not an tanzanite lady, I am going to stop at it. But I have to have at least one tanzanite.

bluetanzlia222.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stci|1290666395|2778877 said:
Is it true to say that saturation is very important no matter the type of stone?

Saturation, as well as tone are very important, no matter the type of stone, if quality of color is something that matters very much to you in a gemstone purchase. Saturation is also tied to tone because if a stone is too light in tone, or too dark, it will lack saturation as well. Grey and brown in a stone indicate a lack of full saturation (vivid saturation). Some colors (hues) can be lighter in tone and still have excellent saturation, for example, the hue yellow. Some hues, such as blue, can be darker in tone and still have excellent saturation, but it really depends on the hue.

http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Color_grading

Now depending on your budget, perhaps vivid saturation and ideal tone is not something that can be had at an affordable price, and that is fine. That is why many people try to buy the best saturation/tone they can. I certainly have gems with grey in them that I still wear because the color to me, is good enough. Vivid untreated gems are very rare, and can be very pricey, especially if they hold their saturation levels in various light sources. Red is the most expensive hue, and the most expensive colored gems (outside of colored diamonds) are untreated pure red rubies that have vivid saturation. Other important components of the worth of a gem are also rarity, gem species, carat weight, luster, durability, treatment, clarity, and cutting, but color is probably the most significant of these variables in the determination of value. Treatment is also something to be highly considered if you are trying to collect, as some treatments can devalue a stone significantly, even if the color is vivid (like beryllium treated sapphires).

You had asked if the stone was a "beautiful color" for a tanzanite, so some of us answered with "ideal color" for a tanzanite. If it is beautiful to you, that is a different story. :)) Color can also be highly subjective, but the textbook ideals can vary greatly from what individuals consider "beautiful." However, if you were to see in person many fine tanzanites, your ideal for beauty might change, or it may not.

When I first started collecting many many years ago, I had confused tone with saturation, and I thought all dark toned stones were fine color. :oops: As a result, I ended up with a lot of extinct, black, unattractive stones. The most you learn about all the variables of a gemstone that I had mentioned, the better you will be able to make a more educated purchase.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hang on - you paid $65 for this AND it included the gold chain? :appl:

Well, you've most certainly got a deal and no, for that price, the Tanzanite is not going to be a top colour unfortunately. Typically (and this is a very general statement), you can (if you know where to buy) get top of the range Tanzanite for $480-580 per carat. Prices are highest in the over 1ct to 5ct range. The prices then drop to slightly less for bigger stones.

For future reference, some of us mentioned seeing grey in your stone? Here's why ...... this is one of mine next to yours. Can you see the difference? If ever you decide to buy another Tanzanite, look for one that looks rich, warm and vibrant and when you move it you should see pinks and reds.

Many congratulations and enjoy wearing your pendant.

Tanzanite Comparison for ps.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
Thank you very much girls! You help me and I listen each time I come in this topic.

LD... I can clearly see difference between your gorgeous heart and oval mine. Incredible! :love:

TL... you are a big source and fav for education. Thank you Sweety!

Crasru... OMG!

Another question please: Where is my tanzanite in the chart tones and saturations? Impossible to determine by myself.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Impossible to tell from your photo I'm afraid. Wait until you get it and then hold it up next to the chart. Pick the nearest in terms of lightness/darkness and greyness (if that makes sense)?

The reason I'm saying it's impossible is because in your photo, you can see some green. Now that's not impossible because Zoisite can be green if unheated and there are bi-coloured tanzanites also. However, I suspect when you see it in real life it won't be apparent and is merely the photograph.

If I were a gambling woman I would say middle row third or fourth from top but that's a guess!

stci

Ideal_Rock
Last news about the pendant.

Signed AV for A.V. Jewelry of New York. Who knows? :confused:

Another pic on black background:

423956397_o.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi There: I think for the price you got a BEAUTIFUL pendant and certainly one that I would wear
a lot if it were mine!!!!!!

I can appreciate things that I think are beautiful, and I can appreciate gemstones
that others collect and share on this forum.
I am getting a good education here as well, and although I still love the
gemstones I have purchased, I am learning to be a more discerning shopper / collector!

Wear your beautiful gemstone and enjoy it!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've got an absolute bargain for $65. Is it top? No, but nobody would expect a top tanzanite complete with setting and chain for that price. I second LD's suggestion to hold the stone up to the picture when your pendant arrives to get an approximate colour rating. It still will not be accurate due to monitor calibration and the fact that your stone is 3D while the colour off the chart is 2D, but it is better than nothing.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Just want to let you know I got my pendant and I adore it!

The color is perfect, the setting too and I can see sparkly each time I see it in the mirror!

Will make pictures for you soon!

I'm soooooo happy with this little beauty! :love: :love:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very bright, elegant and eye-pleasing!

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
It looks classy and expensive overall I love the double claw

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I'm so happy you love your pendant!!!!
Wear and enjoy!!!!!! :))

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi STCI: :wavey:

Pete gave some great insight. Be aware most gemstones exhibit modifiers. Sometimes tanzanite can have a bit of that "steely grey" look.

It is hard to evaluate the stone from the picture, especially due to the fact that tanzanite looks different viewing the stone tilted.
Tanzanite is a Trichroic gem, meaning it can exhibit one of 3 colors depending on how it is viewed. (1)Blue,(2) An Amethyst to Red (3) or Greenish yellow to Brown. Some rough stones exhibit a purple blue hue out of the ground but most all gem rough is heated after it comes out of the ground which removes the remnant brownish grey color to leave the pleasing violet or purple blue which you see in some of the most beautiful gems.
Some of the finest Tanzanite looks like a high quality sapphire and the larger ones contain the beautiful rich depth in color. Premium stones will show a primary blue color with a secondary purple hue. The color between the blue and purple is based on the ambient light in which it is being viewed.

Your stone is an eye pleasing stone, and for the price you got it at, it is a real value. I really like it, It has "Charm"

The attached picture is how a tanzanite can look viewed on it's different axis's.

Top view of this tanzanite gem displays a surprising trichroic color shift of a Teal Green and displays a deeper sapphire blue color from the side profile of the same stone.

Nice Pendant and a great Value! :tongue:

pricetanz.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results