shape
carat
color
clarity

Tahitian question

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I am trying to understand round Tahitian strands. I found a strand of 9-11 mm medium gray round Tahitians with not much overtone. They are less than $2000 with blemishes graded at AA+. It is from a reputable company. Is the price below $2000 because of the lack of overtone?

I wear a lot of red (bluish and orange-red), blue, gray and black and thought it would be good to get a gray set.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You pay for the size, matching, luster, and blemishes in addition to overtones.

Most Tahitian pearls have a grey body color, so grey pearls should be among the least expensive, all other things being equal.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Flygirl.

Does anyone with gray Tahitians find that they get worn a lot?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I suspect that price is for the round shape. Round pearls always cost more than baroques.

I would wait for a strand with overtones. I have some grey freshwater pearls, and they were inexpensive. If you're going to spend a lot of money, wouldn't you want something special and spectacular?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Grey freshwater pearls? I didn't know they existed. Is that a natural color? It sounds lovely.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I believe silver is a natural color for Tahitians. Freshwater pearls occur in many colors, but I think the grey freshwater is a dyed color. I have some that are silver, and some that are a deeper color. You can find silver freshwater soufflé pearls that are not dyed, and silver keshis, I don't think they are dyed.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I would prefer to get natural instead of dyed, in a medium gray. Thanks, Ennui.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a light grey baroque strand with silvery overtones. I wear it quite a bit.

_28598.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Cmd, that looks gorgeous on you!

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I will chime in with cmd2014, I have a strand from PP, it was described as a Rikitea, AAA drop shape green body peacock tahitian, but in real light it is a silvery gray to very light green with light pink, blue and peacock overtones, when I wear black is looks gray, when I wear gray it looks gray, if I have kiwi green on it takes on the light green color. I had it strung on a silver/gray silk. I wear this strand the most out of my tahitians from PP. I also have very light green peacock tahitian studs that are lighter than the strand, they work so well in a wardrobe, even with my dark green body peacocks.

dsc04069.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Frostme. Yours look beautiful too. The lust on both your and Cmd's strands are what makes them look special, I am realizing.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Frost Me, I love that strand! It's my favourite of the ones you got in the Tahitian sale. :love: :love: :love:

I think luster is key. Without it pearls look flat. Other than that, I think it's a matter of finding a colour and size that flatters you, a shape you like, and a level of surface cleanliness that won't bother you.

More pics for colour reference. I wish mine had a bit of an overtone, as they are pretty solid grey. I've seen ones with hints of rose or peacock that are super pretty (and it gives them a bit more depth). If I had $$$ the Kamoka moon pearls one would be mine!

_28599.jpg

_28600.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results