shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori in Montreal

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
OMG, the man of my dreams has finally popped the question...
He proposed to me with a 10K gift certificate for an engagement ring in order to let me to pick something I really love.
I've always loved the Tacori line of engagement rings, with their delicate detail and feminine appeal.
Since I live in Montreal, I am not sure if I should purchase the ring locally or buy it in New York or Los Angeles next time I visit .
My fiancee thinks I could get a bigger diamond in the US, due to the present exchange rate.
What shall I do ?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondgirl7|1360357168|3375544 said:
OMG, the man of my dreams has finally popped the question...
He proposed to me with a 10K gift certificate for an engagement ring in order to let me to pick something I really love.
I've always loved the Tacori line of engagement rings, with their delicate detail and feminine appeal.
Since I live in Montreal, I am not sure if I should purchase the ring locally or buy it in New York or Los Angeles next time I visit .
My fiancee thinks I could get a bigger diamond in the US, due to the present exchange rate.
What shall I do ?
aw i love that proposal idea! Something to note, for the reference--Tacori settings are kind of pricey and will eat up a good bit of your budget. So keep that in mind.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! That's really exciting!

A trip to NYC would be awesome for shopping, however, if you don't have the time and/or budget, you could definitely get the Tacori in Montreal. My SO recently order my tacori e-ring (we're in Alberta) and the store is giving us USD pricing. A few months ago, the store had a Tacori trunk show and for that particular weekend they were selling the Tacori at US prices. We went to the show but we weren't ready to purchase at that time. We stayed in contact with the sales associate and she gave us US pricing (this was just a few weeks ago). No garantee that all stores would do that but you can certainly ask. It'll make your budget go a lot further.

Oh, and for what it's worth, we bought my stone separately, NOT from Tacori. I wanted an OEC which I bought pre-loved from Erica Grace.

Is that amount for the e-ring and the wedding band or just the e-ring?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Old Gold is in New York and carries Tacori. You could just arrange it over the phone/email. Exchange rate is 1:1 right now... unless make you buy options on currency.

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your comments.
I'm going to visit a few jewelers this weekend and compare prices.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! what a great way to propose - a gift certificate and you get to pick the diamond and setting - your FI is on the cutting edge!! He's a trend setter!!! :appl:

I'm in Ontario and even with taxes at the border, you WILL get more bang for your $10K buck by purchasing via a PS vendor. I have purchased from IDJ, BGD, DBL in the states and it was still cheaper than in Canada.

If you think Tacori is the setting you want, that's great, but there are an amazing range of options out in "PS land" that could really maximize your budget! Happy hunting and congratulations again, my fellow Canadian!!

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
Thanks again.
Yes, my fiancee is a sweetheart but not very good in picking jewelry. Actually, I do prefer picking my own engagement ring as I have a pretty clear vision of what I want. ;-)

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
diamondgirl7|1360370571|3375704 said:
Thanks again.
Yes, my fiancee is a sweetheart but not very good in picking jewelry. Actually, I do prefer picking my own engagement ring as I have a pretty clear vision of what I want. ;-)

And what would that be? Do you know what size center you want? What's your finger size? Would your FI be open to you getting the biggest center now and putting it in a temporary setting and upgrading that later?

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
I am a size 5, looking for an emerald cut diamond, VS1-2, G/H, around (or slightly below) 1.00 ct., set in 18 or 19K white gold with a delicate melee halo and some small RBC's on the shank, milgrain on the edges.
My fav mounting so far: http://www.tacori.com/2620ecsmp.html
Is that realistic, considering my budget ?

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
diamondgirl7|1360375969|3375763 said:
I am a size 5, looking for an emerald cut diamond, VS1-2, G/H, around (or slightly below) 1.00 ct., set in 18 or 19K white gold with a delicate melee halo and some small RBC's on the shank, milgrain on the edges.
My fav mounting so far: http://www.tacori.com/2620ecsmp.html
Is that realistic, considering my budget ?

For the setting, it is realistic for sure. I use this website for Tacori pricing bc it lays out all the possible options for pricing. Full pave, half pave, gold, plat etc. click the pricing options tab. These prices are in usd.

http://www.tqdiamonds.com/shop-online/engagement-rings/tacori/dantela-collection/tacori/tacori-18-karat-dantela-engagement-ring-2620ecsmp.html

Not sure what Tacori's pricing is like for diamonds as I bought my stone separately and Tacori is fine about setting stones that aren't theirs.

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
Thanks, maccers, for your help and the link.
So, according to this link the mounting should come to roughly 3.3K including all the small stones.
Leaves me with 6.7K for a suitable emerald cut.
I am going to check things out tomorrow.
Thank you all for your input, I'll keep you posted...

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the heads up.
We just came back from this morning's ring hunt.
Well, to be honest, I am a little dissapointed.
So we went to this jewellery store who is one of the very few licensed Tacori dealers in town. The choice of inventory was not overwhelming, although we were told any model could be ordered within a couple of weeks time and even customized versions were possible. What really surprised me is the fact that the Tacori mountings we did get to see looked quite different from those depicted on the web. They seem less "crisp" and look a lot more flimsy in real life. I mean, the contours are not as sharp and the shapes are not as clearly defined as in the photos, giving them an almost "worn" or used appeal. Don't get me wrong, the designs are beautiful, I only wish the workmanship had been better. Again, I am not an expert in jewellery fabrication but I think the actual product should match the advertised picture, especially at this price point. Could it be that we just caught a bad batch or has anybody else had similar experiences ? We are going to see some more jewellers this coming week. Any hints on who else sells nice engagement rings ( not necessarily Tacori) in the Montreal area?
Thanks again for your help and the links. Where are James Allen and Since1910 located and are they affiliated ?

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I am also in Montreal and I am/was also in the same boat as you. My boyfriend proposed in November with the diamond so I had carte blanche on the setting which was perfect and amazing. I had already decided that I wanted the Tacori 2620 (same that you posted a link to, except for a round diamond). I went to the authorized dealer on St-Laurent in Little Italy and I was also so disappointed when I saw them in person. They look so bright, beautiful and shiny on the website, but in person they seemed dingy or sort of used looking. There was no sparkle. I left the store confused.

I was glad to hear that they had the exact same prices as the US ones and the girl mentioned to me that they were negotiable, but after seeing them in person, I wasn't sure what to do anymore. I felt like if I got the Tacori I would be settling for less, especially at that price point. I went to Tiffany, Kaufmann de Suisse and Chateau D'Ivoire not too long ago and I noticed how shiny and bright their settings are. They do lack some originality for me, which is what drew me to Tacori in the first place, but it just confirmed that the Tacori settings would always leave me wishing I had opted for something different.

So I have since been browsing the web, looking at hundreds of pictures and selecting everything I love about certain settings, and will be going the custom route section to really get exactly what I want. I will personally be having it done out of the country where my boyfriend works, but if it wasn't for that, I would be going with either Steven Kirsch, Victor Canera or even Whiteflash, GOG, James Allen, BGD and all the other vendors that are highly recommended on PS. I recommend you check them out, they have so much selection and I'm sure you could discuss you budget and they would work with you to find exactly what you want with the best diamond possible.

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much Ccloe and Clueless for your input.
Has either one of you had any personal experience with the jewellers on the PS site and/or importing a finished piece of jewellery from the US into Canada?
More and more I am thinking of going the custom route.
If you know of any good custom jewellers in Montreal, please advise, I would greatly appreciate that too.
I am a little hesitant making a purchase of this magnitude "site unseen", but who knows.
I do travel to NYC and LA frequently, if any of the here present vendors are located in one of those cities, please let me know.
Thanks again for all your help.

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
Thanks to your suggestions and based on some of my research on the web I have decide to wait until I see the full spectrum of Tacori rings at H.L.Gross and Bro. ( Since 1910 ) during my next trip to NY. It seems they have the largest inventory of designer jewellery in the industry. I also love their on-line store but prefer to see the pieces up close and in person.

diamondgirl7

Rough_Rock
Just a quick thank you for your valuable input and a short follow up to the events of the last few months .
So, I did end up buying my Tacori ring during a visit to New York in April and I am very happy with it.
I got a beautiful 1.17 carat emerald cut diamond and the 18K white gold mounting is just stunning.
Looking back though I must say for Canadians it is not worth the hazzle or the savings.
I recently learned I could have had the same ring made in platinum and at a lower price right here in Montreal.
A co-worker introduced me to Ex Aurum Jewelers ( www.exaurum.com ), a local manufacturer and wholesaler/retailer who carries a stunning array of designer engagement rings and jewelry for all occasions.
I might let them redo my ring eventually as it wears out and will make any future purchases right here in Montreal.

Thanks again and enjoy a hot summer in our great city!

Ex-Aurum

Rough_Rock
diamondgirl7|1375211969|3493219 said:
Just a quick thank you for your valuable input and a short follow up to the events of the last few months .
So, I did end up buying my Tacori ring during a visit to New York in April and I am very happy with it.
I got a beautiful 1.17 carat emerald cut diamond and the 18K white gold mounting is just stunning.
Looking back though I must say for Canadians it is not worth the hazzle or the savings.
I recently learned I could have had the same ring made in platinum and at a lower price right here in Montreal.
A co-worker introduced me to Ex Aurum Jewelers ( www.exaurum.com ), a local manufacturer and wholesaler/retailer who carries a stunning array of designer engagement rings and jewelry for all occasions.
I might let them redo my ring eventually as it wears out and will make any future purchases right here in Montreal.

Thanks again and enjoy a hot summer in our great city!

Thanks for the kind words, Diamondgirl! We're glad to have been able to help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results