shape
carat
color
clarity

Surprise present - blue topaz ring

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
So the other day my sweet boyfriend surprised me with a gift! He just completed his training program at his new job (a 7 month painful process) and after all the family had left town and graduation was all done, he pulled me aside and presented me with the below, as a thank-you for all the support throughout, he said. I was tickled pink, he''s usually not spontaneous about gifts like this, so it was a nice surprise!

And.....well the funny part is that this ring, more or less, exhibits every design aspect that I despise. LOL. It''s almost comical how utterly off-base he was with regard to everything I like. It''s a square stone, split shank, chunky modern design, massive prongs, etc. I love delicate, vintagey rings and curvey shapes. Plus it''s a blue topaz, no doubt heated/treated and therefore not likely to be something I would ever buy.

And yet, I do sort of love it! I guess it''s the definition of "I love it because he gave it to me" - that is very true, I just never had it tested before now. I definitely don''t like the design, but whenever I look at it, it reminds me how excited he was when he gave it to me, how he said that it just jumped out at him from the jewelry case and he loved it so much that he had to get it for me. I mean, he said he got it because the color reminded him of my eyes! He''s on crack, my eyes are nowhere near this color, but really how cute is that??

Arch_down1.jpg

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Another view from the top. The top-down view is kinda brutal, haha. Such a severe ring.

Arch_down2.jpg

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
I like the side the best - it manages to look somewhat graceful on the side view.

Arch_side1.jpg

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
And the side again. The color of the second and third pics are fairly true to what I see IRL. It IS a very eye-catching color, even if it''s been treated.

Arch_side2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see the appeal of the design from a male perspective; it is very clean and modern looking, almost architectural. But I do think the gesture is very sweet. Now, it’s your turn to gently guide him towards what you prefer.
11.gif
9.gif

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Yes, Chrono, I totally agree about the design being kinda masculine and architectual - I've nicknamed the ring, in my head, 'Archi' for that exact reason.

He and I have been bumping up against the fact that we have polar opposite jewelry tastes already when shopping for the ering. I'm sort of wondering if he got me this because he's going to go with *my* preferences for the ering, so he wanted to get me another ring, one that expresses the style he prefers. That's just my conjecture though.

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
And separate, side note: I took these pics on my freakin PHONE. I can''t take pics this clear on my Nikon...not that I''m bitter. Anyway, it''s a Google Nexus, for anyone that wants a really good camera on their smartphone - I was amazed how well these came out.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
LOL..goes to show what we(men) think looks good or what a wonmen would like is 98% time way off especially when it comes to jewelry..still nice gesture..just um..make ..sure..he..um..knows you want to pick the E-ring out when that time comes

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confession coming up: I actually like the sleek and modern look of the setting.
emembarrassed.gif
At least it doesn’t look chunky in your pictures.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it too! I think it''s quite pretty, certainly doesn''t look chunky to me.

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Thanks chrono and alene! I wanted to post it to see what the prevailing opinion was, whether it was in agreement with me or not.

And yes, there is definitely something to be said for the clean design. It also feels VERY sturdy, which I appreciate.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I am in love with that ring too!
30.gif
What a nice gesture, and so very thoughtful!
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dig sleek and modern, and I really like it a lot!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pretty. It doesn''t look at all chunky in your pictures.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Red, I think its gorgeous. I love the side view that you posted, and I like the "architectural" element. I don''t think the prongs are huge; I think they''re perfectly fitting for the ring. I think it actually reminds me of "Pokey''s Special", without the pave.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I love that ring!. It is so sleek and modern, it''s one of the nicest I''ve seen. It is delicate and the right size for your hand.
He did a great job. There is room in your "taste" to enjoy all types of jewelry. I got real excited when i saw it. I think he has good taste.

Thanks,
Annette

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
You know, normally I''m not a fan of those architectural modern designs either, but I''m really liking this ring. It has a smooth, understated grace to it. Something about the combination of elements is really compelling and attractive, even though if I were just reading the description with no pictures I''d be all "ew wut."

But actually seeing it, and seeing how all the pieces come together, that''s a really nice piece. It doesn''t look blocky at all.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the ring too. Much nicer looking to me than these diamond halo''s you see so much of. Maybe it''s a male thing.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a very nice and delicate design. Congratulations!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice!
36.gif
It dosen''t look chunky to me either. I think the stone and the setting really play well together.

-A

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I also think it is a very pretty ring.

I recently directed my 23 year old son towards a blue topaz pendant for his GF. He doesn''t have much money and his GF loves blue. He was thinking a sapphire, but sapphires in his budget just don''t look as nice as blue topaz. I think they are a very pretty stone. His GF was thrilled. So, just enjoy it. If all goes well, there should be many more opportunities for jewelry purchases in your future.
2.gif

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
I think the ring is very pretty and I LOVE the story! What sweethearts, both of you.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Really pretty - I love the sleek and modern design. I also like blue topaz a lot, even though it''s treated.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
well - it may not be your taste but it is really lovely :) AND BONUS! Now you can slowly work your way into letting him know that you want to be part of any future e-ring process haha

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I do like it too! Especially the side profile. Maybe I am seeing too many haloooss... (though I have to say that I love halos)

redhead02

Shiny_Rock
Thanks very much for the kind words everyone :) I appreciate you taking the time! The ring has definitely grown on me, and I'm sure it will continue to do so :)

smitcompton you are so sweet! I'm excited you had such a positive reaction to the ring, thanks for the compliment. Although, yes it def seems it's his taste to praise, not mine! :)

Liane yes I do agree that there's something about how it all comes together that is appealing, especially from the side. By the way, I LOVE your set, and sigh at it whenever I see one of your posts.

Gene and chictomato, haha you know it's funny. I joined PS obsessed with halos, now after a year I am rather sick of them. I picked out a solitaire recently as an idea for an ering setting, which is VERY sleek, simplistic, etc...maybe I'm headed more towards rings like this in general anyway.

Aww, karpouzi thanks you're a sweetie too! And um, WHAT stone is that in your avatar? Chrysoberyl? I love it!

Cehrabehra, too true! We've done some hunting for erings together, so I think this was his way of compromising so he can get me more what I like for the ering.

And again, thanks Chrono, amethystguy, alene, brandyz28, packrat, Kismet, Indylady, crasru, Arcadian, FlyGirl, and jstarfireb!

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/10/2010 4:36:01 PM
Author: jstarfireb
Really pretty - I love the sleek and modern design. I also like blue topaz a lot, even though it''s treated.
I feel the same. I like your ring and your BF sounds very sweet. :)

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am with you redhead, I like round, delicate vintagy things and to be honest, I would never wear that ring. Nothing wrong with, just the opposite of my style. That being said, DH once gave me these earrings which were very treated rubies cut in a heart shape. Not my thing at all, but I love that he wanted to get me something pretty and tried. I don''t wear them as I have problems with my left ear piercing and they don''t go in, but I have worn them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results