shape
carat
color
clarity

Sunny Tucson

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello All,

Arrived in sunny Tucson night before last. Will be here for two weeks. Spent the first day at the Ole Pueblo, my favorite show.

Will report on any new gem fines. Hear good things about the new Oyo red tourmaline from NW Nigeria.

Any PScopers here say hello.

Best,

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im jealous!!!!! I wanted to go soooo bad. Dave agreed we can go next year though.

Lovebaubles

Rough_Rock
Trade
Sounds like fun, wish I was there :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Please keep us posted. It''s always exciting to hear stories about what''s new at the Tucson gem show.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''ll be thinking of you down there in sunny Tucson, Richard. Love your eye for fine gems. Excited to see what you find and looking forward to your reports. Red tourmaline sounds lovely.
36.gif

BTW, I''m still working on "The French Blue". Husband wants to read it next, so I better hurry along.
35.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely jealous. Thanks for keeping us posted!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Richard,

I just sent a note to my contact in Nigeria to see if he can give me any info on that material. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep us posted.

Are the Oyo mines still producing any of the Paraiba-type material?

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hello back from snowy southern Virginia and thanks for letting us know what is up!
1.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rebekah and I spent the day at Centurion. That's the ultra-luxury show that actually pays a retailer's way in Tucson, food and lodging. It is located at Westin La Paloma. Great view of the mountains.

Being from New England, I don't take them up on it. If you pay my way I feel obligated to buy your product, so I prefer going as a day tripper---nice lunch though!

Pleased to report, this year things have changed. There is a new optimism and people are buying! I think the recovery may be catching on!

Sal from Cal

Rough_Rock
Trade
Glad to hear that things maybe looking up Richard. Looking forward to your reports....

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Richard, all good to know, thank you for the update. I''ll be there February 11-13.

Rain predicted middle of this week and early next week. Cold for us Arizonans but not you easterners, LOL.

Glad to hear people are buying, I was told that last year there was very little buying going on.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well, yes there is some buying going on though it is slow. The mood, however, despite the constant drumbeat of bad economic news is hopeful!

I have been mostly searching for stones for clients and have found prices fairly firm, no sign of the big discounts I have heard about from some quarters.

The AGTA show is visibly smaller but seems well attended as is GJX. Very few fine unenhanced rubies to be found. Yesterday I saw a few exceptional sapphires both heated and not. Found a wonderful padparadscha and a fabulous 1 carat gem pigeon blood Burma ruby, perhaps the best I have ever seen.

The weather today is lovely. Rose early and watched the magic of the sunrise over the desert. The false dawn is the time of mystery. The saguaro like stick men or sentinels outlined against a milk-gray sky. The clouds brushed like a watercolor with broad strokes of gray. As the sun rises over the hills it uplights the clouds and with a lining of orange, pink and umba!

Best to you all,

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for keeping us updated. I so wish I was there.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
All,

Home again, next stop Bangkok. Doing a lecture at GIA on the 24th, if you are in Bangkok please come by.

Will have an update on the new demantoid from Madagascar as well as Ethiopian opal, will post it here.

Best,

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2010 2:15:01 PM
Author: Richard W. Wise
All,

Home again, next stop Bangkok. Doing a lecture at GIA on the 24th, if you are in Bangkok please come by.

Will have an update on the new demantoid from Madagascar as well as Ethiopian opal, will post it here.

Best,
Very interested to hear about the Madagascan demantoid.

So... when are you coming to lecture at Gem-A?

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pandora,

Well, just had a brief interview with Gem-A CEO Dr. Jack Ogden. As you know Jack is a noted historian and it was really a pleasure talking with someone so well versed in the history of the trade.

Hoping to see a short review of The French Blue in the Gem-A newsletter then who knows, Rebekah loves London and of course, it would be an honor to give a talk at Gem-A.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results