shape
carat
color
clarity

Summer Vegetable Recipes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I started a vegetable garden this year in our backyard. It''s done very well and we have loads of summer veggies. So, I''m looking for new recipes. I think this will be a great thread to share some of your tried and true recipes. So, do tell, what do you make with your zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, tomatos, green beens, peppers, etc?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a veggie eater sap. I love putting zuccini, peppers and carrots on the outdoor gril. Just brush them with a tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and grill them. They taste so good when they''re roasted.

I also make sauteed zuccini in a huge t-fal fry pan. Put a little olive oil in the pan with fresh sliced garlic. Let it get hot. Add sliced zuccini, salt and pepper. Keep it covered and stir every five minutes. Add diced fresh tomatoes and cook that down for seven or eight minutes and you have a very nice very fresh tasting side dish. Zuccini cooks down a LOT. You''ll get a 1/3 amount of cooked zuccini for the huge amount you throw in. Zuccini has a high water content.

I''m going to be up to my ears in tomatoes soon. If you have lots of large tomatoes, you can put them one at a time in a huge slotted spoon and dip them in boiling water for 30 seconds each. Then let them cool in a huge dish. Peel off the skins and freeze them for use during the winter time for things like fresh tomatoe sauce. I put them into big zippy bags and save eight or ten at a time.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Grill those babies! :)

Zucchini bread - I made zucchini almond enchilladas from the Moosewood Collective cookbook that were really good

I LIVE for cucumber salad. Boil water, sugar, and cider vineagar together. Dash of celery salt and pepper. Pour hot over cucumbers and onions. I have a good sweet and sour recipe too where you soak the cucumbers in salt water for an hour, drain, and then add red wine vinegar and sugar. YUM.

Ooooh and you can make sweet pickles! I love the bright green ones that my g-ma makes, you can''t get ''em at the store.

Green beans - freeze and save for shepard''s pie in the winter

Also, you can do a 3 bean salad with green beans and those peppers and a couple cans of kidney and different kinds of beans and some onion. Use the chunky italian kraft dressing and it''s practically ready-made.

Tomatoes - carve out and fill with cottage cheese and garnish with pepper. Tuna salad is excellent served this way too. At my grandma''s house, summer tomatoes are served just sliced on the place with a little salt. YUM. An italian version - make a caprese salad with fresh mozzarella, basil, and olive oil. ''Nother big yum for me there :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results