shape
carat
color
clarity

Suggestions??? Gift for my mom.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
So, I am a frequenter of the bridal threads these days...but, I thought I''d step over here and see if I could get some advice from you all.

I''m getting married in May. My mom is a single parent, giving me away, paying for majority of the wedding. She''s one of those moms who tells you not to spend your money on her, but save it for later (she''s actually returned b-day gifts before).

At any rate, I wanted to do something special for her for my wedding. She is wearing what she describes as a "hot pink" dress. She is fair and blond with hazel eyes. I wanted to get her some nice earrings to wear at the wedding. I found a pair of pale pink topaz with pave diamonds around, but finding out the color of her dress, I think the color is off.

Budget is about $200, maybe up to $275. Can anyone make some recs?

Thank you in advance!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

Do you want earrings only? Definitely pink?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I''d lean towards a pink sapphire ring for my mom. Pink spinels are also pretty, as well as natural colored pink topaz, rose quartz, and Malaya garnets. How long is there until the wedding? Are you looking only for a particular shade of pink? It might help if you post a picture of her dress if you''re trying to match.

For starters, I''d check out:
Mastercutgems
Dan Stair
Barry Bridgestock at ACS
Gemrite
The Gem Trader
Precision Gem
Simply Sapphires
Multicolour
Oddyseygem on Ebay
Weblorn on Ebay

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
Well, I do beadwork, so I was going to make her a bracelet. I''m thinking about making a necklace, too. But, I can match swarovski crystals to whatever the earrings are.

I''d like the earrings to be somewhat practical. On the ear or a very small dangle, I''d like her to wear them again rather than leave them in the jewel box.

That''s what I''m thinking...unless there is a better suggestion? I''m pretty definite on the bracelet.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
So you''re looking for studs?

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
The BlueNile earrings are pretty - is there any way to get your mom to send you a photo of the dress? or for you to see it so you know what shade it is?

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
MAC, I like the Blue nile earrings. That shade would look great on her!

She says its hot pink. Wont send me a pic or a link. I''m going home to florida at the end of the month, so I''ll get pics then. Wedding is May 22nd.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The unfortunate thing (kind of) for you is that "hot pink" i.e. any saturated shade of pink, if naturally occurring in gemstones, tends to be on the expensive side - cause it''s a very popular color. If you see an affordable piece with pink topaz, it''s that way because stones are coated with a layer of specially applied chemicals, so you get that vibrant shade of color. Without this treatment such stones would be colorless or an ugly shade of brownish/greyish, and the treatment is not permanent, so stones will probably start to wear away this nice pink color over time. In that case I''d rather use plain old CZ, cause at least it won''t lose it''s color. It''s best that you, if you want earrings with a natural gemstone, focus on styles that include several small gems, instead of one larger (cluster dangles, channel set hoops etc.). Also do a bit of google searching on gemstone treatments, so that you can determine what''s acceptable to you.

beadchick

Shiny_Rock
You know what though, I don''t even think they HAVE to be hot pink. Orange is the wedding color, those would match, wouldn''t they? I was also thinking of a brown topaz or pink amethyst?

Want to stay away from aquamarine because she already has my grandma''s dior aquamarines.

vsol

Rough_Rock
I''ll start off by saying I''m a newbie, never been married, and a guy with bad taste =)

Now with that said -- I would go with a brooch to be honest (they might even be the traditional Mother-at-a-wedding gift?). And something dark to contrast with her dress. You can find plenty of nice diamond brooches set in a dark metal like rose gold or bronze at estate stores and browsing about the internet. I''m sure you can also find new brooches which would look great, they might just be a little more than what you can find as estate. I definitely like the deep bronze or rose gold color on top hot pink though. just my two cents.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I love the earring idea.

I would suggest looking at garnets for oranges and pinks at a reasonable price.

Trilliant shapes also sparkle like mad if you can find them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results