shape
carat
color
clarity

Stumped on oval orientation

Not sure if I should have this mounted e/w or n/s? I love classic styles so much but there’s something about an e/w setting that gives a spin on the classic style and I equally love the idea of that too. Stone is 5.09 i/vs2 natural 8F2FE181-73D3-452D-A675-E429794A1950.jpeg

Attachments

• 923CB847-FAB3-4629-B303-670F102B7A3D.jpeg
    923CB847-FAB3-4629-B303-670F102B7A3D.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 64
  • FFABD3E4-931C-4CAD-879F-E72CA3FD72B2.jpeg
    FFABD3E4-931C-4CAD-879F-E72CA3FD72B2.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 4726F0D0-416F-4F1F-910F-59F7A789023A.jpeg
    4726F0D0-416F-4F1F-910F-59F7A789023A.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 75

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
It is personal preference, but I have to agree that there is something about that E/W orientation that is lovely! I know it is an optical illusion, but to me it appears larger E/W because no skin shows on the sides.

Does it stack better with your bands in one orientation or the other?

It is personal preference, but I have to agree that there is something about that E/W orientation that is lovely! I know it is an optical illusion, but to me it appears larger E/W because no skin shows on the sides.

Does it stack better with your bands in one orientation or the other?

There is certainly more finger coverage e/w, which I like. My band is an alternating round and e/w oval eternity band. Setting it n/s would make it easier to see more of the stones in that band but an e/w orientation would not completely obscure them either. I also have other options for bands- my original wedding band is a 2 mm plain gold band. I still wear it frequently. My main concern was whether or not it’ll make my fingers look “stumpy” and whether or not the e/w style is more of a fad vs one I’ll get away with wearing for a long time without dating my piece.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, I'm a N/S person but I really like the look of it E/W on you. I think its because its such a large stone
that it gives you great coverage E/W but the width also gives you great coverage N/S.

So, E/W is my vote!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm a big E/W fan! My colored stone e-ring is E/W and I love it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
What does your other jewelry look like? Is this an engagement ring or a fun ring? I like both orientations so I think it depends on what better fits your collection and the kind of ring it's going to be. It definitely doesn't make your fingers look "stumpy" in the E/W orientation, I think it's still very elegant but of course N/S is more classic.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer N/S orientation, but of course it all comes down to personal preference. Even if you go one way and decide you want the other, you can always reset.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go E/W but like others have said, that's personal preference. Which do you like best is the only real thing to consider.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is your personal and jewelry style? Classic or more modern? Unusual or on trend?

What does your other jewelry look like? Is this an engagement ring or a fun ring? I like both orientations so I think it depends on what better fits your collection and the kind of ring it's going to be. It definitely doesn't make your fingers look "stumpy" in the E/W orientation, I think it's still very elegant but of course N/S is more classic.

This is an upgraded/extra wedding set. It will be used for special events primarily, but I might wear it from time to time as well. My daily wear/original set is a very traditional 2 carat round claw prong solitaire , plain gold wedding band and a 5 stone anniversary band.
I have both very traditional and modern pieces for other jewelry. As for myself, I’d say I lean towards being a non traditional type of person and I tend to stand out from the crowd when I go places.

What is your personal and jewelry style? Classic or more modern? Unusual or on trend?

I have jewelry from traditional to modern to a pretty extensive collection of vintage and antique pieces. I love them all. My personal style is pretty non traditional- I’m covered in tattoos over probably 50 or more percent of my body, and some piercings, sometimes my hair is non traditional colors, I tend to be noticed and stopped on the street so people can see my work more closely pretty frequently.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
This is an upgraded/extra wedding set. It will be used for special events primarily, but I might wear it from time to time as well. My daily wear/original set is a very traditional 2 carat round claw prong solitaire , plain gold wedding band and a 5 stone anniversary band.
I have both very traditional and modern pieces for other jewelry. As for myself, I’d say I lean towards being a non traditional type of person and I tend to stand out from the crowd when I go places.

It sounds to me like you want to do E/W! Have you decided on a setting or jeweler yet or were you first starting with orientation?

It sounds to me like you want to do E/W! Have you decided on a setting or jeweler yet or were you first starting with orientation?

This is the actual setting. My jeweler sourced the stone for us about 6 months ago, then we started the cad design process for the semi mount and band pictured. I really liked his idea of e/w ovals on the band, alternating with round to compliment the melee on the semi mount. I’ve been struggling with the orientation for over a month- we made sure I would be able to set it both ways when we made the ring because I was still undecided during the design process. Now I’m getting a little antsy about having such a pricey stone sitting loose (it’s in our safe but still) and just want to get it set so I can start enjoying it. I was definitely a little self conscious about my fingers looking like sausages without the elongated look of n/s though, or that the stone didn’t look right horizontally to other people who know more about fancy shaped diamonds than I do. I want it to be fun, absolutely. But I also want to flatter my hand and be aesthetically pleasing

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
This is the actual setting. My jeweler sourced the stone for us about 6 months ago, then we started the cad design process for the semi mount and band pictured. I really liked his idea of e/w ovals on the band, alternating with round to compliment the melee on the semi mount. I’ve been struggling with the orientation for over a month- we made sure I would be able to set it both ways when we made the ring because I was still undecided during the design process. Now I’m getting a little antsy about having such a pricey stone sitting loose (it’s in our safe but still) and just want to get it set so I can start enjoying it. I was definitely a little self conscious about my fingers looking like sausages without the elongated look of n/s though, or that the stone didn’t look right horizontally to other people who know more about fancy shaped diamonds than I do. I want it to be fun, absolutely. But I also want to flatter my hand and be aesthetically pleasing

Oh! Because it was shown both ways I thought it was some kind of temporary setting. Now I understand!

I stand by what I said before: it absolutely doesn't look like "stumpy" or "sausage" fingers set E/W, I think it's pretty and flattering. Do you always wear your nails long? One thought might be to see how things look with short nails if you ever do that. And since it seems like it can be set either way, it also seems very possible that you can just reorient it if you ever get sick of it being E/W.

Oh! Because it was shown both ways I thought it was some kind of temporary setting. Now I understand!

I stand by what I said before: it absolutely doesn't look like "stumpy" or "sausage" fingers set E/W, I think it's pretty and flattering. Do you always wear your nails long? One thought might be to see how things look with short nails if you ever do that. And since it seems like it can be set either way, it also seems very possible that you can just reorient it if you ever get sick of it being E/W.

I appreciate the reassurance!! My nails are always long. And typically in fun colors. They’re natural nails. I don’t cut them down any shorter than this unless I break one, and my last break was back in September! I just keep them filed to about this length. No polish mail pic, just because I’m proud of them 0FDDA262-50EE-4AE8-8617-AD2364C9A9F5.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have jewelry from traditional to modern to a pretty extensive collection of vintage and antique pieces. I love them all. My personal style is pretty non traditional- I’m covered in tattoos over probably 50 or more percent of my body, and some piercings, sometimes my hair is non traditional colors, I tend to be noticed and stopped on the street so people can see my work more closely pretty frequently.

EW it is then! NS is very traditional .

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love NS usually, but both look great on you!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NS

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if the E-W orientation gets in the way of the other fingers?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
N/S Beautiful diamond!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results