shape
carat
color
clarity

Study shows that heterosexual men are "reproductively focused" when meeting an attractive woman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Story here :)

"Men lose their minds speaking to pretty women"
Talking to an attractive woman really can make a man lose his mind, according to a new study.

Pat Hagan
Published: 10:28AM BST 03 Sep 2009

The research shows men who spend even a few minutes in the company of an attractive woman perform less well in tests designed to measure brain function than those who chat to someone they do not find attractive.

Researchers who carried out the study, published in the Journal of Experimental and Social Psychology, think the reason may be that men use up so much of their brain function or ''cognitive resources'' trying to impress beautiful women, they have little left for other tasks.

The findings have implications for the performance of men who flirt with women in the workplace, or even exam results in mixed-sex schools.

Women, however, were not affected by chatting to a handsome man.

This may be simply because men are programmed by evolution to think more about mating opportunities.

Psychologists at Radboud University in The Netherlands carried out the study after one of them was so struck on impressing an attractive woman he had never met before, that he could not remember his address when she asked him where he lived.

Researchers said it was as if he was so keen to make an impression he ''temporarily absorbed most of his cognitive resources.''

To see if other men were affected in the same way, they recruited 40 male heterosexual students.

Each one performed a standard memory test where they had to observe a stream of letters and say, as fast as possible, if each one was the same as the one before last.

The volunteers then spent seven minutes chatting to male or female members of the research team before repeating the test.

The results showed men were slower and less accurate after trying to impress the women. The more they fancied them, the worse their score.

But when the task was repeated with a group of female volunteers, they did not get the same results. Memory scores stayed the same, whether they had chatted to a man or a woman.

In a report on their findings the researchers said: ''We conclude men''s cognitive functioning may temporarily decline after an interaction with an attractive woman.''

Psychologist Dr George Fieldman, a member of the British Psychological Society, said the findings reflect the fact that men are programmed to think about ways to pass on their genes.

''When a man meets a pretty woman, he is what we call ''reproductively focused''.

''But a woman also looks for signs of other attributes, such as wealth, youth and kindness. Just the look of the man would be unlikely to have the same effect.''

-----

Just thought this was an amusing study and wanted to share.
9.gif

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
NOW I get it! And all this time I thought I was having "blonde" moments. Luckily I am in construction and dont meet all that many pretty women in a days work! lol

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Didn''t we all know that men are easily amused by a hot woman (or even just halfway nice female body parts)? We know men are not concentrating on anything else but sex when chatting with a woman. I know I''m generalizing but for the most part it''s true.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I can clam up or become distracted or embarrassed when talking to an attractive man whom I don''t know well, so I''m sure I would have scored like the men in that study. I wonder what this says about me? I just recently told DH how I became more aware of this reaction because when I pass an attractive man somewhere, I subconsciously think, ooooh, attractive man, I wonder if he''s checking me out. I only recently realized that at 33 weeks pregnant I am probably not being checked out very much! It''s not that I am in any way looking for a man or planning to flirt or anything; I think it''s just a biological instinct.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
No surprises here.... Guys get pretty dumb when it comes to a pretty girl...
41.gif

(In general. Not EVERYONE behaves like a goofball, so please don''t yell at me)

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Why do they give researchers money, I wonder, so that they can ''find out'' things that everyone has always known?
somebody should do a study on that!

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Really attractive women should come with a warning label:

Do not attemp to operate heavy machinery, operate a motor vehicle, or make even the simplest financial decisions while in my presence.
I was taking a pretty damned hot associate for a motorcycle ride last weekend and it was all I could do to keep the bike on the road. I have spent many years behind the handlebars and this was disturbing.

If she sold Ferraris, I''d own five of them

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
The next time I''m talking to a guy and he seems to actually be paying attention and able to have normal brain functions, I''m going to kick him.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a social psychologist, even published in that journal, which is quite reputable, and even I agree with Black Jade... seems too simple.
20.gif

But then again, journalists always oversimplify. I tracked down the actual article and indeed it is somewhat more complicated. Anyone interested, here is the reference:

Interacting with women can impair men’s cognitive functioning
Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Volume 45, Issue 4, July 2009, Pages 1041-1044
Johan C. Karremans, Thijs Verwijmeren, Tila M. Pronk, Meyke Reitsma

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/5/2009 12:19:34 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
I''m a social psychologist, even published in that journal, which is quite reputable, and even I agree with Black Jade... seems too simple.
20.gif

But then again, journalists always oversimplify. I tracked down the actual article and indeed it is somewhat more complicated. Anyone interested, here is the reference:

Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Volume 45, Issue 4, July 2009, Pages 1041-1044

I''m a social psychologist, too. And I was actually in Nijmegen this summer for a few months working with Johan (the first author). Small world :)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 9:22:51 PM
Author: packrat
The next time I''m talking to a guy and he seems to actually be paying attention and able to have normal brain functions, I''m going to kick him.
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2009 12:19:34 AM
20.gif

Oh, very cool! Thank you for doing that, dd.
1.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
let me guess.....This study was conducted by men??

2.gif

LOL, packrat!!

Actually, next time DH isn''t paying attention to what I''m saying, he''s gonna get lucky!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Guilty.

But, I have not read the article. Is there anything but conjecture that supports the additional hypothesis, beyond the observations, that the cause is biological/anthropological in nature?

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
So that explains it. All this time I thought the men I was dating were dumber than post rocks, but they were just blinded by my beauty
11.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha, see, I knew that was why the pretty girls in my class would come to class in short skirts and tight tops on test days!! And sit in the front of course
2.gif

I''ve gotten distracted talking to really attractive people, it''s hard to concentrate because in my head of thinking "OMG, SO PRETTY!"

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/5/2009 6:48:56 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Guilty.

But, I have not read the article. Is there anything but conjecture that supports the additional hypothesis, beyond the observations, that the cause is biological/anthropological in nature?
You are on the money here, but it is not the study authors who make this leap. The author of the journalistic piece took their comments in the discussion about *possible* mechanisms to explain their finding -- that men, not women, showed decreased cognitive capacities after speaking with an attrwctive woman, not a man -- and stated it as fact. This happens all the time when mass media gets ahold of findings, and it really gets my goat.

A more likely cause is something that the authors actually measured in one of their studies -- the men''s interest is making a positive impression on the woman. To the extent that they were motivated to manage the impression that they created, they showed decreased cognitive abilities, which makes sense since much of their mental capacity was being used to manage the impression they were making
20.gif
Women who were motivated to create a particular impression also showed the effect, but it happens that women were generally lower in this motivation, hence the general gender difference in the effect.

More convincing would be a study where they manipulated the motivation to create a given impression.

Now why they were wanting to create a paricular impression is obvious, it seems, it was after all an attractive woman whom one can assume they wanted to impress
41.gif
But the contribution of the article has little to do with the fact that men or women differ on this variable, IMO, but rather to do with the fact that talking to a good looking woman causes cognitive load for men. It is adding to a broader body of literature trying to understand the nature of people''s cognitive capacities.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer, thanks for chiming in. Maybe I'm actually at 2.5...

Date: 9/6/2009 11:47:17 PM

A more likely cause is something that the authors actually measured in one of their studies -- the men's interest is making a positive impression on the woman. To the extent that they were motivated to manage the impression that they created, they showed decreased cognitive abilities, which makes sense since much of their mental capacity was being used to manage the impression they were making
20.gif
Women who were motivated to create a particular impression also showed the effect, but it happens that women were generally lower in this motivation, hence the general gender difference in the effect.

More convincing would be a study where they manipulated the motivation to create a given impression.

Now why they were wanting to create a paricular impression is obvious, it seems, it was after all an attractive woman whom one can assume they wanted to impress
41.gif
But the contribution of the article has little to do with the fact that men or women differ on this variable, IMO, but rather to do with the fact that talking to a good looking woman causes cognitive load for men. It is adding to a broader body of literature trying to understand the nature of people's cognitive capacities.
I suppose I stand by my original caution, but also value the authors interest in stretching. Yes...

talking to a good looking woman causes cognitive load for men....
this is agreed to (step 1). And maybe they have not proven to my satisfaction, that the biological underpinnings cause the motivational variation (step 3), but if we follow the dots...I will be interested at least to understand more about why women will be lower in this motivation. That the motivation correlates with the dysfunction seems descriptive. But...the why continues at the point of wondering why it is different for men and woman. That's where the social scientists conjecture, for a purpose, but who fail to convince.

The representation of their theory..."'But a woman also looks for signs of other attributes, such as wealth, youth and kindness. Just the look of the man would be unlikely to have the same effect.' "...may not be science, may be conjecture, as I say, may even be parsimonious with the evidence...but is not convincing yet. But...still, I will say, this may be the interesting point to pursue, and understand better.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will also plead guilty to occasionaly getting distracted by a beautiful lady; and yes, I agree that it does happen with guys.

However, I take issue with the concept that it never happens with gals. I have seen gals distracted by "hunks" - or whatever they find attractive; and their ability to hold an intelligent conversation goes down as well.

I do admit that guys seem to be distracted perhaps 3 times more often than gals (my personal estimate).

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results