shape
carat
color
clarity

Studs / The Saga Continues

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I want small diamond studs for a combined birthday / christmas present and am not sure what the best use of the very limited budget would be. Initially I thought I wanted asschers, but that isn''t practical in the size we can afford, so it''s out.

Now, I want bezel set RB''s in white gold.

We want to spend no more than $1000, and would be great to spend less if possible.

How do people recommend that I go about this? I know this budget isn''t big, but these are meant to be something to ''tide me over'' for the next couple of years at which point i hope to upgrade!

Because of that fact, I am being tempted by pre-made pairs on random jewelry sites like this - http://www.jewelrycentral.com/product.asp?pID=4007&cID=17&x=23&y=10&c=30822

$600 for 1/2 tw, $1000 for 3/4 tw H, SI1-2 quality. These are totally uncertified (so from what I understand, likely a good color grade or 2 overstated), and also no info is provided about cut of course.

I would love to have well cut, hand picked earrings, but looks like I''d have to sacrifice quite a bit of size or pay hundreds of dollars more, depending on how you look at it.

Looks like I could get .22 I SI1 ACA''s for about $400 each, plus I presume at least $200 for the earrings themselves. That brings the total to around $1000 for hand picked ~.5 tw I SI1 studs vs. $600 for .5 tw or $1000 for .75 tw H SI (but likely actually lower) pre-fab studs.

Is it honestly worth either paying $400 extra, or getting .5 rather than .75 tw studs to be able to hand pick them and ensure that they''re well cut?

Thanks in advance!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just about the bezels, is this what you have in mind? I find these cone-shaped settings about 100 times more confortable than the usual cylinder "box":

diamond-earrings-2005g2.jpg
earrings10.jpg
(the pics are from SNDgems.com but these are not their brand)

When you say "better cut" would a some approximation do (say, the "Premium" cut as DCD calls them), or do you mean "Harts and Arrows" ? Bar H&A, a pair of 30 pointers should be feasible without much pain. Here's why I mention them: link to DCD earring page

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Those cone settings are great!

I am not set on H&A by any means (was just using ACA''s for price comparison) but would love some assurance that the cuts are decent, and some assurance that the other specs are remotely like what they are represented to be.

I will look at DCD - I''ve usually only looked at their signature series, which aren''t in sizes that small, but if they carry individual small diamonds that they provide some reliable cut quality info for and can set them for me in the cone settings you pointed out, I''m sold!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2004 6:49:26 PM
Author: katrina_33
...if they carry individual small diamonds that they provide some reliable cut quality info [...] I''m sold!
Not much info off the bat, but at least this shop handles Ideal Scopes. As far as I know, only the ACA series and the ocasional pair of matched diamonds on GOG come with decent cut info.
7.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

foursHI.JPG

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, this is great...

So, basically, the concensus is that it''s definitely worth it to pay a few hundred bucks extra or get a bit smaller total carat weight pair to get studs that are guaranteed good to great cut quality rather than the pre-made ones?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 7:39:30 PM
Thanks, this is great...

So, basically, the concensus is that it''s definitely worth it to pay a few hundred bucks extra or get a bit smaller total carat weight pair to get studs that are guaranteed good to great cut quality rather than the pre-made ones?
I would say yes. I got new studs last year -- ideal loose stones that I had set in a martini setting. I also picked out a similar pair for a friend. Our studs look completely different than 99% of the diamond earrings you see out there, and the studs that I have had before. They constantly catch the light and the fire and sparkle is amazing. WIth the pre-made studs, you don''t have any control over what you are getting. I don''t think loose stones will cost you more if the pre-mades you are considering are decent stones. They probably will cost more than the frozen spit versions, so you would have to size down in that case, but it will be absolutly worth it.

Heiny10

Rough_Rock
Do you have a photo of your "martini setting" diamond earrings... I''d like to see them. I am thinking about purchasing a set for my GF soon to be fiance for her birthday! :)

Thanks,

Pete

sdm

Rough_Rock
My diamond studs are total weight .68, G color, SI1, ideal cut. I bought them from one of the PS vendors and have not worn another pair of earrings since I got them (in September). I really like the martini setting. Reading all the comments on the forum about the martini setting helped convince me to go with this setting.

earring _studs_sv.jpg.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2004 7:39:30 PM
Thanks, this is great...

Yes, definetly go with better cut stones. With your earrings constantly in risk of becoming dirty with lotion, makeup, hair products, etc., you want to be sure that your earrings still sparkle when you leave the house in the morning after prepping.

Bezel settings will make your diamonds appear larger so with this setting style you can choose slightly smaller stones with better cut and still have a beautiful set of eyecatching earrings. I have a .38 ct stone that looks about 10 points larger in it''s bezel setting.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I tend to think that the differences are more easily seen when the diamonds are larger. If the stones are .20c each, one might argue that it''s harder to see a good cut. But then again maybe not considering that the sparkle on those stones if they are well-cut would definitely out sparkle the typical mall stones.

One other thing to consider is a trade-up/upgrade policy. I plan to do that with my earrings as often as possible!
9.gif

Smart shopping can net you something very close to what the pre-set pairs cost you. I always am suspicious of those pre-set pairs, because it''s hard to know what they are hiding in terms of inclusions or chips or godknowswhatelse.

Lastly, I have had horribly cut studs, okay cut studs and most recently, expectionally cut H&A studs. The H&A studs are smaller than the other two pairs I''ve had but they outsparkle the other two hands down even when dirty and they actually look almost as big as the other two due to reflecting more light! So yes I would spend the extra $$ and just shop as smart as possible! Good luck.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NiceIce also list an assortment of small matched diamonds, of course they cost more than you were talking about spending. However, you will be getting maximum brilliance and sparkle from them as NiceIce only deals in the very best cut grades (similar to GOG).

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results