shape
carat
color
clarity

strmrdrs and diagems asscher

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Congrats strm & wifey, I am so happy for you, and I wish you tons of success.

I am dying to get my hands on one of those gorgeous stones. Hmm, maybe as a push present for my baby due next April ...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/24/2009 5:58:13 PM
Author: wifey2b
Date: 9/24/2009 3:08:37 PM

Author: sarap333

Congratulations, again, Karl. This must be so exciting for you!

I join with the others on this forum in wishing you much well-deserved financial success (along with public acclaim) from this endeavor.

I have a couple questions:

1. You said you''ve seen the stone in person; has wifey2b seen it, and if so, what was her reaction (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

2. I''m assuming this stone will be available for purchase in the future (if not, I think a PS riot would ensue!) and I''m wondering how carat size will affect the appearance of this stone. For instance, say someone was interested in a right-hand ring
31.gif
and wanted to set a Volcano stone in a tension setting
6.gif
. Would a smaller, say, under .50 carats, stone show off the features of the Volcano?
Hi Everyone,

I am so proud of Karl, that I do not know how to even be civil lately - lol. I knew when I first started dating Karl that he was a smart man, but I never realized what was still in there just waiting to come out and be revealed.

I have not seen this diamond in person, but I can tell you, when I first saw Rhino''s video on it I was totally stunned, and no one who came into the house was spared in not having to see what my hubby2b could and did do :}:}:}:}:}:} :D

I am going to be one spoiled lady...but it is so hard to put the brakes on a man who is so generous - but I tell him he cannot give me one of each of his creations, because I know there are so many more inside of him, and just having him love me is all I need in life!!!!

Ok, I am getting sappy now, but I want to thank Rhino and DiaGem for all they have done to make my darling''s dream come true!!! I am ever grateful for your support and encouragement to Karl and bringing out the talent he has.

Thank you to all you other PSers also - your kind words and compliments make me so proud - lol - but also know that Karl is so loved by so many people. Thank you all, and I am hoping to see that diamond before the year is out :}:} Not to mention my mind has already been going for pictures of that gorgeous diamond!!! :}
hey babe, I have written a bunch of replies and they are all mushy so im just gonna say... lumbt!!!!
30.gif

Gamecock84

Rough_Rock
Karl, you might can confirm this. But that first Asscher I saw at the estate sale was cut in the late 1800s. According to the family member, the Asscher cut was very popular even in the US in the late 1800s and it was common enough to see one regularly. Idk, any way, when I saw it I thought it was perfect. And it WILL be perfect for the antique style engagement ring I am designing for my lady. Again, congrats and can''t wait till I can actually buy one.

Ryan

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 5:42:23 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Storm, DiaGem and Rhino - this just goes to show that the new variable that will be introduced into the ''new cut design'' phenonemon is PERSONALITY.

Sergey has envisaged the equivalent of ''this seasons new cuts launced on the Paris and Milan cat walks'' for at least 6 years that i am aware of. Part of that ''fashion'' value is the person / people behind the product. In the past (and part of De Beers SoC push) was to make the company / brand the personality. I think we are entering a social web 2.0 era where real people and real niches can be the basis of brands. Which won''t stop companies buying personalities (Tom Ford).

I think we are seeing history in the making. I congratulate you all.

I give special mention to Sergey and Yuri for their vision to develop the tool that made it possible.
Thank you for all the support over the years Garry!

I also am grateful to Sergey and Yuri for producing DC and their vision of a new diamond market.

I hope this helps pave the way for many to follow.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm, DiaGem and Rhino - this just goes to show that the new variable that will be introduced into the ''new cut design'' phenonemon is PERSONALITY.

Sergey has envisaged the equivalent of ''this seasons new cuts launced on the Paris and Milan cat walks'' for at least 6 years that i am aware of. Part of that ''fashion'' value is the person / people behind the product. In the past (and part of De Beers SoC push) was to make the company / brand the personality. I think we are entering a social web 2.0 era where real people and real niches can be the basis of brands. Which won''t stop companies buying personalities (Tom Ford).

I give special mention to Sergey and Yuri for their vision to develop the tool that made it possible.

I like the way you think, Garry. I am so thrilled to see the last few years unfold up close - this industry is certainly being led by some great minds and into some very fascinating new areas :)
36.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/26/2009 2:05:09 PM
Author: strmrdr

Some people want to blend in some want to be different.
This assumes everyone selects a diamond based on what others think.
Some people (like me) don't care if they blend in or are different.

I bought an asscher because I like it.
Every person on the planet could have one or I could be the only one; neither would matter to me.
I didn't buy it for others or to make some statement to the world.

The more I read here the more I learn that making an decision that ignores the reactions of others puts me in the minority.
So I guess I do fit into the stereotype mentioned, that confident people buy asschers.
This puzzles me because I think they just look so cool, and can't imagine that "less confident" people would not like them too.
Maybe they would like them but being different is just too scary for them.
33.gif

We often see posters here who want to limit their diamond education to finding out what most people pick, color, clarity, cut etc.

I could understand if you said people avoid asschers because (when compared to a round of the same price, color and clarity) the asscer will look smaller, show more body color and inclusions - so a really nice asscher is going to be expensive compared to a round or princess.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/26/2009 2:30:13 PM

Thank you for all the support over the years Garry!

I also am grateful to Sergey and Yuri for producing DC and their vision of a new diamond market.

I hope this helps pave the way for many to follow.
I thank you as well my old friend, ditto strm comments and share your sentiments concerning Sergey & Yuri''s empowering tools.

Kind regards,

Gamecock84

Rough_Rock
Well Kenny, like I said several times, just my observation and experience. I do believe it also correlates some with age and maybe even maturity. Many young women look to other young women to compare and discuss one of the most important times of their life, their engagement and marriage. Thats why I think we see more women buying Asschers later and not as their initial first diamond of their engagements because of preferences at that younger stage in life. IDK, but personally I always thought it was the best cut, so we agree there.

I think we have strewn this off topic anyways....lets just be glad a beautiful new cut awaits us all.

Ryan

Date: 9/26/2009 11:53:56 PM
Author: kenny
Date: 9/26/2009 2:05:09 PM

Some people want to blend in some want to be different.

This assumes everyone selects a diamond based on what others think.

Some people (like me) don''t care if they blend in or are different.

I bought an asscher because I like it.

Every person on the planet could have one or I could be the only one; neither would matter to me.

I didn''t buy it for others or to make some statement to the world.

The more I read here the more I learn that making an decision that ignores the reactions of others puts me in the minority.

So I guess I do fit into the stereotype mentioned, that confident people buy asschers.

This puzzles me because I think they just look so cool, and can''t imagine that ''less confident'' people would not like them too.

Maybe they would like them but being different is just too scary for them.
33.gif

We often see posters here who want to limit their diamond education to finding out what most people pick, color, clarity, cut etc.

I could understand if you said people avoid asschers because (when compared to a round of the same price, color and clarity) the asscer will look smaller, show more body color and inclusions - so a really nice asscher is going to be expensive compared to a round or princess.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ryan I am not disagreeing with or challenging what you wrote.

I'm just saying what's important to me when I pick a diamond for myself.
2.gif

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I adore this stone!

Re: Asscher's being less popular - my experience

In Australia rounds and princess cuts are most popular, when I first started looking at diamonds all jewelers had these. I knew I didn't want a round and in my initial browsing of B&M stores thought that this meant I would then have to get a princess. A few stores also offered emerald cuts and some pears, etc but generally only of much larger carat sizes than we could afford. Of course being the educated consumer that I am after looking in B&M stores I then did some online reading. Only when I started looking online did a whole new world of options open up.

I wanted to see these options in the flesh so back to the B&M stores we went. The staff looked puzzled when we asked about cushions and asschers, they needed to call them in as they didn't have stock in any size to even use as an example and the staff had no idea how to talk about these stones. If I was intending to purchase from such a store their lack of knowledge about the stones would leave me with no confidence in the diamond I was looking at. It was all in all a pretty miserable process. Even buying online I found it difficult to weed the good from the bad.

A brand of fancy cuts like these (and the GOG OMC) will help change this. They provide consumers with alternatives that come with the same confidence as buying a branded H&A round diamond. I fell in love with the GOG OMC when I first saw the video but had these been available I would have been torn. My partner loved the asscher cut but I didn't feel confident in our ability to source a good one and living in Australia postage for returning stone after stone would have become expensive. With the OMC I knew what I was getting, I knew the time and expertise that had been spent getting the stones right and I knew of other consumers who had bought stones cut to the same specifications who adored their rings. Bringing this into the world of asschers would be wonderful and everyone involved should be showed with praise
1.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
I have to add my congratulations. Strm, you helped me a lot in my initial stages of learning and understanding diamonds, and I don''t forget it.

I am very happy for you and wifey (beautiful post wifey), it really is a dream come true. And like pretty much all dreams come true, I am sure there was a LOT of blood, sweat and tears involved.

Oh, and that stone ROCKS!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Gamecock84

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/27/2009 1:33:20 AM
Ryan I am not disagreeing with or challenging what you wrote.

I''m just saying what''s important to me when I pick a diamond for myself.
2.gif
Gotcha Kenny
emwink.gif

Ryan

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!!
30.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi all…
Just got back from the East and noticed this thread…
Although I believe in keeping a low profile…, I would like to thank all for their kind words…
I am happy to see dreams come through…, and even happier to be part of the cause…
Karl well earned and deserves this as I strongly believe he surpasses most other professional trade members in the wide scope of academic Diamond knowledge…, especially in the barely touched area called “Step-Cut” Diamond design!

I hope the serious (first tier-labs as called on PS) Laboratories are reading (and learning) these pages as they still have plenty to learn from this subject. (They would probably add a crown angle comment on this one

11.gif
)

I would like to thank the ones that made this combination & results possible:

Firstly…, our PriceScope community and moderators/owners for their enthusiasm.

36.gif

Sergey…, we couldn’t have reached this level without his amazing DC (DiamCalc) which saves HUGE $$$ & Time in the otherwise trial & error practice we would have needed to use.

36.gif

Garry H…, his vision was felt throughout the process.

35.gif
1.gif

Jon (GOG)…, seeing and implementing the future of Diamond marketing and products…

21.gif
A true pioneer if I might add
36.gif

Hopefully we (all) just touched the tip of the iceberg of the future potential of the (yet) unknown profession called Diamond Design(ers).
A profession that surely exists!!!
Thank you all again for the kind words and enthusiasm, it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DiaGem, I'm just curious.
So was cutting this diamond a surprise for Karl?

D VS1 rough is not cheap,
If this was a surprise for Karl then you did not know if he would buy it, so why did you do it?
What were your plans for the stone if Karl did not buy it?

I don't know but maybe lots of people cut diamonds to the design of friends as an academic exercise.

If I'm being to nosey just say so and I'll drop it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2009 1:24:49 AM
DiaGem, I''m just curious.
So was cutting this diamond a surprise for Karl?

D VS1 rough is not cheap,
If this was a surprise for Karl then you did not know if he would buy it, so why did you do it?
What were your plans for the stone if Karl did not buy it?

I don''t know but maybe lots of people cut diamonds to the design of friends as an academic exercise.

If I''m being to nosey just say so and I''ll drop it.
Kenny..., you are being a bit nosey but thats fine
11.gif

read: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-cut-asschers-with-small-corners-and-windmills.78433/ and you will know if it was a surprise...

This prototype is/was not one of the harder objects to sell (If I desired so)...
One of my objectives for years is/was to put the term "Diamond Designer" in the spotlight..., I came across legal resistance on this subject a few years ago as the (US) legal system is not aware of this practice and there is no previous case law! I am hopping the cost of a 0.79ct D-VS1 will be considered minuscule if I will succeed with my objective.

This is the beginning of the fact that a "profession" called Diamond Cut Designers exists!
Hope I answered you Q''s...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good to cya back D. Hope you had a great trip.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2009 2:09:34 AM
Author: Rhino
Good to cya back D. Hope you had a great trip.
Thanks..., yes, it was a great and tiring trip (extremely intensive)..., was gone for 10 days, seemed/felt like two whole months!
I am actually surprised none of the other PS pro''s attend this extremely important venue..., oh well!

I dropped you a line and never heard in return!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
congrats on this stone guys, it is gorgeous!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
wowowowowo
very amazing
so sparkly!

is this asscher design for sale ?

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I think I found a new love!
30.gif
Well done!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diagem - tell me more about what you are thinking of with "Diamond Designer" please!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 11:27:07 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Diagem - tell me more about what you are thinking of with ''Diamond Designer'' please!
What I see a diamond designer as doing is building partnerships to fill unique needs in the market.
DeBeers gave unique designs a bad name with SOC.
Many of them failed because they did not fill a need.
They tried to market their way to demand instead of filling the needs of the public.
That approach will not work and was doomed from the start.

Farther into the future I see designs made for people that suit their personality and where they will wear it.
In other words move out of the E-ring market into the world of custom jewelery with custom diamonds.
I want to be able to do that at a cost that more people can afford.
Today it can be done on a $100k diamond but not on a $5k diamond.
I want that to change.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2009 2:22:50 PM
Author: Gamecock84
Karl, you might can confirm this. But that first Asscher I saw at the estate sale was cut in the late 1800s. According to the family member, the Asscher cut was very popular even in the US in the late 1800s and it was common enough to see one regularly. Idk, any way, when I saw it I thought it was perfect. And it WILL be perfect for the antique style engagement ring I am designing for my lady. Again, congrats and can't wait till I can actually buy one.

Ryan
The early 1900s is more likely if it was an Asscher.
It was patented in 1902.
There were however a lot of Emerald cut variations in the late 1800s and some of them could have been squarish.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like what you had to say, it was very well thought out and I think it will succeed.
I want to be a part of this movement! Hurrah! Wanna play?

I have no interest in joining the diamond trade - I''ll leave that up to you guys, but I love the mental/creative/artistic side to this and maybe YOU should be the one signing the diamonds (if cutters aren''t into that sort of thing)...

~Storm''s Volcano~

Though my vote is still for Octave LOL

Anyway, where do people like me fit into this new fangled way of diamond think? I remember before ever bought a diamond asking about having a diamond cut for me and I was very very quickly told no way don''t do that it''ll never work! Now I have a diamond that really is beautiful as is but I also have a vision of how it could be better.

Now what? Who is going to cut these? Who is going to design them? Who is going to take requests? Who is going to carry risk?
Is this still a closed business model or are we all invited?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sara,

I am not sure of the final name yet.

Personalized custom diamond design then cut on demand is a ways off.
Years off most likely.
All your questions will have to be answered in time for it to get here.

The first step is to establish Diamond Designer as a profession and build the support structure to cut, market, and sell them.
That can be done several ways:
The first is a Designer or Designers working with a cutter and a dealer to offer the diamonds to the public to fill holes in the market where there is demand. (My model for right now)
The second is NextDiamond where a group brings designers, cutters, and dealers together to offer the diamonds. http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/69/1/Buying-Diamonds-Consumers%E2%80%99-Problems-and-a-Solution-.aspx

Once those are in place and a proven concept then personalized custom diamond design becomes possible at a reasonable price point.
The process has to be there first on the design, cutting and rough supply for it to work.
I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/30/2009 12:19:42 AM

Date: 9/29/2009 11:27:07 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Diagem - tell me more about what you are thinking of with ''Diamond Designer'' please!
www.hrdantwerp.be/.../hrd.../Cut%20design-Antwerp-June2009.doc
That link apparently does not work.

I found it via this search and you can get there from the search result
http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=lexus+cut+&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_en___AU346&q=lexus+cut+designer+course

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A bold and beautiful design Karl.
Congratulations, and best of luck in your new endeavour

All of us here wish you and Wifey2b hearty congratulations on your engagement!

Phenomenal job Diagem.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to wish my congrats to you Storm. You deserve all the accolades you get! It looks like it has the light return of a round with the beautiful optics of an asscher. I still remember years back your interest in this when you started messing around with pavillion and crown angles and such! Myself I find the high crown small table cuts so interesting because of the fire effect.

As far as preferences, a cornered step cut cut is what I got for my engagement ring, because my ideal then for my ring was an emerald cut emerald! But the vast availability of the round cuts is such, plus it is easier to understand what makes a good round, that is how most will go if there are no strong preferences to "push" for something different.

I love rounds, but after seeing that asscher, step cuts may now be my second favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results