shape
carat
color
clarity

strmrdr - photos need some of your gentle critique :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 4:38:15 PM
Author: Lorelei
I like these ones MP, they turned out really well and this gal was a good model!! I think though that it would be good if you could use your cat as a subject/ model when she is feeling better, with a little icecream in her bowl.....
41.gif
9.gif

LOL she seems to have gotten burned out on the ice cream, I have been spoiling her ROTTEN. She is doing so good though - her bite is almost completely closed up and she isn''t licking it anymore, and she has been taking the medicine like a champ. I''m so proud
9.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
With models they have to learn to do what you want and you need to learn to get them to do what you want.
Once I shot with a professional model with several years experience and WOW to be able to say give me 1/4 turned away faint smile arms down and she struck a perfect pose.
By taking control of your models you are teaching them and yourself.
The key is showing them you can make them look better when your in control.
You might start by saying have some fun and pose how you want, take some pictures, then after a few minutes say ok its time to get serious, please do this and that and this, no this, snap.
Then show them the difference and ask which they would rather have in their portfolio.
When you get a facial expression you love show it to them and say this is the look and practice with them to do it on command.
Then when shooting say give me the look.
snap then praise them.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 5:36:02 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 10/5/2008 5:29:46 PM

Author: strmrdr

I'm going to do the rest later 30 min is about my limit for deep CC before my eyes cross.

Try this next time, camera in manual mode, set the proper exposure, turn on pop-up flash set it to the lowest power setting or 1 up.

Adjust as needed.

The goal is to catch the eyes and lighten shadows but not change the overall exposure.

That's a good idea, I'll have to try that next time. My on-camera flash is obnoxiously bright, but maybe outdoors it wouldn't be so bad lowered down. I do shoot in manual only though. I'm going to test this on my husband later
2.gif
if it is still to bright at the lowest setting drape a part of a Kleenex over it very carefully.
Just make sure its the cheap stuff and not powdered.
The cheapest Walgreen's pocket packs are perfect.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 5:48:22 PM
With models they have to learn to do what you want and you need to learn to get them to do what you want.
Once I shot with a professional model with several years experience and WOW to be able to say give me 1/4 turned away faint smile arms down and she struck a perfect pose.
By taking control of your models you are teaching them and yourself.
The key is showing them you can make them look better when your in control.
You might start by saying have some fun and pose how you want, take some pictures, then after a few minutes say ok its time to get serious, please do this and that and this, no this, snap.
Then show them the difference and ask which they would rather have in their portfolio.
When you get a facial expression you love show it to them and say this is the look and practice with them to do it on command.
Then when shooting say give me the look.
snap then praise them.

This is defenitly something I need to learn, and that I am still having trouble with. I had that workshop and both of the girls were like the one you shot with - they took direction and executed it perfectly. My problem is knowing HOW to direct them, what I want a shot to look like, and explaining it well. I am still so much on the shy side, and even though I''m getting over it as time passes, it''s still a hurdle. Hopefully that''s something I''ll learn asap!
20.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 7:28:25 PM

This is defenitly something I need to learn, and that I am still having trouble with. I had that workshop and both of the girls were like the one you shot with - they took direction and executed it perfectly. My problem is knowing HOW to direct them, what I want a shot to look like, and explaining it well. I am still so much on the shy side, and even though I'm getting over it as time passes, it's still a hurdle. Hopefully that's something I'll learn asap!
20.gif
It is something you never stop learning.
It does take time in 10 years it might be easy, until then its work.
Frankly I sucked at taking what was in my head and getting the models positioned right which is one reason I didn't stay in the field.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 7:56:51 PM
Date: 10/5/2008 7:28:25 PM

This is defenitly something I need to learn, and that I am still having trouble with. I had that workshop and both of the girls were like the one you shot with - they took direction and executed it perfectly. My problem is knowing HOW to direct them, what I want a shot to look like, and explaining it well. I am still so much on the shy side, and even though I''m getting over it as time passes, it''s still a hurdle. Hopefully that''s something I''ll learn asap!
20.gif

It is something you never stop learning.

It does take time in 10 years it might be easy, until then its work.

Frankly I sucked at taking what was in my head and getting the models positioned right which is one reason I didn''t stay in the field.

How long did you do it for? I didn''t even know you did this before until I posted my pictures
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 8:23:47 PM

How long did you do it for? I didn''t even know you did this before until I posted my pictures
1.gif
couple years off and on, mostly second shooting weddings and a part time apprenticeship in a couple studios.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara_13.jpg

cara_14.jpg

Image 1 with the expression and look of 2 would be good.
The first one makes it look like she has long long legs. HOT!
Then look up its like huh? what is she thinking/feeling...
There is no emotion.

These 2 you did your job but didn''t make the model do hers.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara_15.jpg

clone out the window behind her arms.
lighten her face some
Not a fan of angled shots but it works ok here.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara_16.jpg

Image is to small for good cc on this one.
The concept is kicken.
I looks like there may be some blown out areas on the model.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara_19.jpg

use a lower numbered f-stop to blur the background.
f4 max.
fill flash would have helped bring her face out.
I like this shot.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara_20.jpg

Same as one above.
lower f-stop min. fill flash.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks strm
1.gif

You know, I didn''t really think of her eyes looking off at an angle as weird until you pointed it out, but she never was looking at anything - just looking away from ME. One of my models last weekend did that, but she tended to turn her whole head rather than just her eyes, so it looked more natural. The girl in these pics is pretty easy-going, so maybe if we shoot together again I''ll try something different. She wants to do a LOTR themed shoot so that one may come out better - I don''t think elves model
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
cara_21.jpg

She is finally getting with the program.
only 2 things her ankle is turned at an awkward angle.
eyes to far to the her left.
Were you telling her to do that or was she scared of the camera?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/5/2008 10:09:59 PM
cara_21.jpg

She is finally getting with the program.

only 2 things her ankle is turned at an awkward angle.

eyes to far to the her left.

Were you telling her to do that or was she scared of the camera?

She was trying to look mischievious lol.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
2 fun pictures I like them both good job!
cara_24walking.jpg

cara_redshoes.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice series I enjoyed them, I hope I was able to help.
Keep it up every new series you post is getting better and better!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/5/2008 5:37:28 PM

Date: 10/5/2008 4:38:15 PM
Author: Lorelei
I like these ones MP, they turned out really well and this gal was a good model!! I think though that it would be good if you could use your cat as a subject/ model when she is feeling better, with a little icecream in her bowl.....
41.gif
9.gif

LOL she seems to have gotten burned out on the ice cream, I have been spoiling her ROTTEN. She is doing so good though - her bite is almost completely closed up and she isn''t licking it anymore, and she has been taking the medicine like a champ. I''m so proud
9.gif
Hehehe! Glad to hear she is doing better, nasty things abscesses.
38.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Monkeypie I enjoy seeing your shots. Do you look through magazines for pose ideas? I like the location(s) you use, lots of possibilties. The only thing that drives me crazy is the way your model looks to the side. There is a way to do that without losing the eyes. Am I remembering correctly that you are in NM?

Daydreamer7130

Shiny_Rock
Love the shots and the advice !

This is something I really could get into myself.... ahhhh.... if there were only more than 24 hours in a day.

Cyn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results