color
clarity

Strip Searching employees

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
poor Pei
he must have been beside himself with worry

Bei may have been a little worried at first, being a new employee. We quickly become very comfortable with one another and trusted one another completely. It was a life long trust and after the reading the afternoon before his funeral his sons and I stood for a long time one holding one hand and the other holding my other hand as we talked about Bei and told each other stories about the man we all loved.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My DH used to work for a company that had diamond, gold and platinum mines. They weren‘t searched when they visited the mines, but they were hoovered after coming out of the gold and platinum mines

When I took a group of Rotarians to Brasil on a friendship exchange, we visited a town on top of a mountain called Oro Preto. (Black gold in Portuguese.) On of the attractions we visited with our Brasilian hosts was the Church of the Slaves. It was magnificent with beautiful gold leaf everywhere.

We were told by our guides, every night when the slaves returned to their quarters, they washed their hair in buckets and the gold flakes that accumulated were hammered into thin sheets of gold foil that were used to cover cover their statues and paintings. If you ever get to go to Oro Preto, it is a place you will really want to see.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This story is bothering me. What happened to your friend just does not seem right. The owner used threats and fear to make your friend do something I don't think she was required to do. She was told to either take her clothes off or the police would be called. WTH. And btw, who performed this strip search??? It must have been humiliating for her. If, and imo this is a big if, this owner felt he had a "reasonable suspicion" then he should have just called the police.

eta - And, as the OP asked, what does reasonable suspicion even mean? Is the fact that the diamond couldn't be located reason enough?

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I don't know if anyone remembers but there was a rash of fast food workers who were fully strip searched by managers(turns out there was malicious elaborate prank behind at least one of them).
McD's and BK were sued successfully. There is very little instance where a manager or even a street officer can strip search without warrant. It's a violation of the 4th Amendment. If it is allowed it's almost never at a public venue, and usually done at a station/hospital.
Not giving the employee an opportunity to refuse the search and call a lawyer first, not being conducted by police/at a station. These are all issues, even if it's part of the contract signed.
I would be calling a lawyer if I were your friend, right away. There was much done wrong in this scenario. Courts don't look favorably on unlawful, illegal searches by other citizens.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I work in a bank. Not one chance anyone would even be required to remove a headscarf in the event cash or valuables went missing. We have cameras. We also have basic decency. The company would rather lose money than violate the dignity of our staff. That’s what insurance is for. This is disgusting, shocking and abhorrent, a disgraceful violation.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I work in a bank. Not one chance anyone would even be required to remove a headscarf in the event cash or valuables went missing. We have cameras. We also have basic decency. The company would rather lose money than violate the dignity of our staff. That’s what insurance is for. This is disgusting, shocking and abhorrent, a disgraceful violation.

this is very refreshing to hear

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t even fathom this. This can’t be legal.

i would have been on the phone to the union (something i only ever did once) so quick and the union would have brought in their lawyers and then the newspapers

Reactions: ame

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This story is bothering me. What happened to your friend just does not seem right. The owner used threats and fear to make your friend do something I don't think she was required to do. She was told to either take her clothes off or the police would be called. WTH. And btw, who performed this strip search??? It must have been humiliating for her. If, and imo this is a big if, this owner felt he had a "reasonable suspicion" then he should have just called the police.

eta - And, as the OP asked, what does reasonable suspicion even mean? Is the fact that the diamond couldn't be located reason enough?

This resonates.

Sounds like she was told the police would be called and there was high probability of a cavity search.

In the event the police were called, no one could have impelled them to do a cavity search. They would have made up their own minds about what was appropriate. So this implied threat was an empty one and primarily there to scare her into complying.

Who deliberately intimidates their employees with empty threats? Especially not ok as they used this threat to get the employee to remove all their clothes.

She needs a new job.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results