shape
carat
color
clarity

Strange how little things make a difference

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t think that something as simple as a coffee table would make me feel like a grown-up. I just got my own apartment 2 months ago, but having a table (and folding chairs) makes it feel like it''s actually MINE. It''s MY HOME.

Is there anything that really made you guys feel like you *made it*? Even if it''s completely nonsensical.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
It''s nice, you know? Furniture-getting has been slow going because I refuse to use my credit card, so this is a Big Deal, you know? My living/dining area actually (almost) looks complete!

Now I''m off to hang shelves and paintings that have been laying around. We put up my curtains, and it''s starting to look so homey. I''m in
30.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Actually, it was a picture on my wall. I picked out the picture, I chose where to hang it, I hung it, I admired it. It was all mine!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yayayayaya Princesss!! It is a big deal!

I felt that way when I bought my house. It was a shabby house compared to all of my co-workers and some of my neighbors, but it was mine!! (Well, the banks I suppose)

But it is a very good feeling. And kudos to you for not wanting to use your credit cards. I refuse to do that too. It is far less stress to have a sparsely furnished house than it is to have a beautiful furniture but creditors interrupting your dinner.

I''m so happy for you. I just want to start singing like David Archuleta "What a feeling"
2.gif

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 10:24:27 PM
Author: miraclesrule
Yayayayaya Princesss!! It is a big deal!

I felt that way when I bought my house. It was a shabby house compared to all of my co-workers and some of my neighbors, but it was mine!! (Well, the banks I suppose)

But it is a very good feeling. And kudos to you for not wanting to use your credit cards. I refuse to do that too. It is far less stress to have a sparsely furnished house than it is to have a beautiful furniture but creditors interrupting your dinner.

I''m so happy for you. I just want to start singing like David Archuleta ''What a feeling''
2.gif

Exactly! When I moved in I had a reading pillow, a bed, and a TV that was perched on a plastic tub of books. Now I''ve got a couch, chair, coffee table, TV stand and dining room table. But it took the table to feel like I''d actually taken control of the apartment. Even getting my cat didn''t have the effect that this table did!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Getting a table to eat on-pure heaven.
28.gif
Good for you for setting up a cozy home that''s all your own. Props!

Mrs.2Artists

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Framed family photos always make me feel like home.
I''m always framing pictures.
We probably have too many but they are so special and priceless, I can''t help but frame more.

Peepa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/19/2008 11:28:02 PM
Author: Peepa
Framed family photos always make me feel like home.
I''m always framing pictures.
We probably have too many but they are so special and priceless, I can''t help but frame more.
Oops, I totally read that wrong.
haha. That''s what going to the Coach outlet does to a gal since we went this morning 5 minutes before it opened. Ok, I digress..
My dh and felt like "we made" it when we bought our first flat screen a few years ago.
It''s 26" I think, now serving as our comp screen but at the time we thought wow, we got ourselves a flat screen.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing house wise ever did it for me..but making my last car payment did. Weird, huh?

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
No single item made me feel grown up or that I had "made it" - I actually don''t think I''ve fully "made it" yet because I''m still in law school, but I definitely get the feeling you are talking about...the feeling of independence and satisfaction from knowing you are self-sufficient. I think I felt that way when I got my own apartment for the first time. I always lived with my parents and with roommates throughout college, so living on my own and having to take care of everything (bills, groceries, etc.) by myself really made me feel grown-up. I think that''s why I find it so odd when people go straight from living with their parents to living with their SO/DH/DW...I know I needed this time on my own first. Congratulations on your purchases! I love buying furniture too!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I am having a blast living in my own place. BF is crashing here for a little bit, and we''ve already had a bit of an issue with me feeling like I''m losing control of my own place. Funny how only being here 2 months and I''m already super protective of it. I can tell it''s going to take a lot of convincing to get me to move in with somebody, lol!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
You are not alone here...Two things made me feel like this...the first gold mens ring i bought without my parents gifting it to me and my first important piece of artwork that was expensive enough to be insured....I do remember the great feeling of having my first apartment that I lived in without a room mate(one bed room,furnished,poolside and included cable and water for $239.00/month) and I SPLURGED and bought a VCR PLAYER AND A 20 INCH TELEVISION!It was so cool and I had it made.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Buying a $99 Walmart Futon. It was so uncomfortable but it was mine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results