shape
carat
color
clarity

Stories of when you THOUGHT he was going to propose..

crossmyfingers

Shiny_Rock
I feel like I''m threadjacking now by answering the original post, LOL!

Soooooo many of our friends and family were asking around last Christmas whether FF was going to propose for Christmas. He had no idea what I''d want for a ring, and I knew he wanted me to have input, so I knew he wasn''t going to propose. But, of course, in the back of my mind there was always a chance. Maybe he would get an inexpensive ring to propose with, then we''d pick out the actual e-ring, who knew? I kept telling myself not to get my hopes up because I knew whatever he gave me for Christmas would be nice, and I really didn''t want to be a jerk and get upset if it there wasn''t a proposal.

We exchanged gifts, just the two of us, on Christmas at my place. He handed me a very small package that was wrapped. When I unwrapped it, it was a box from a jewelry store. (At this point, in my mind, I was saying "it''s not a ring it''s not a ring it''s not a ring"). I looked at him and he was smiling from ear to ear and I opened it... and it was a pair of small diamond earrings like I''d been wanting for a while. It was so hard not to cry. I was super happy with the earrings, but it was a little sad for it not to be a ring.

FF actually said, a few minutes later, "I realized that looked like a ring box, I really should have said ''this is not a ring'' when I handed you it" and I thought, "no kidding!" LOL.

These stories are kind of funny and kind of sad. I hope none of us have any more fake-outs! ***DUST*** to that!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I agree, they''re funny but sad at the same time. The feeling of disappointment is awful
7.gif
The one I told was funny, and I actually didn''t feel disappointed because I too busy laughing at my reaction. Another time, when I thought he was going to propose on vacation and he didn''t...I was MAJORLY disappointed.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 11:01:56 PM
Author: crossmyfingers

Soooooo many of our friends and family were asking around last Christmas whether FF was going to propose for Christmas. He had no idea what I''d want for a ring, and I knew he wanted me to have input, so I knew he wasn''t going to propose. But, of course, in the back of my mind there was always a chance. Maybe he would get an inexpensive ring to propose with, then we''d pick out the actual e-ring, who knew? I kept telling myself not to get my hopes up because I knew whatever he gave me for Christmas would be nice, and I really didn''t want to be a jerk and get upset if it there wasn''t a proposal.

We exchanged gifts, just the two of us, on Christmas at my place. He handed me a very small package that was wrapped. When I unwrapped it, it was a box from a jewelry store. (At this point, in my mind, I was saying ''it''s not a ring it''s not a ring it''s not a ring''). I looked at him and he was smiling from ear to ear and I opened it... and it was a pair of small diamond earrings like I''d been wanting for a while. It was so hard not to cry. I was super happy with the earrings, but it was a little sad for it not to be a ring.

FF actually said, a few minutes later, ''I realized that looked like a ring box, I really should have said ''this is not a ring'' when I handed you it'' and I thought, ''no kidding!'' LOL.

These stories are kind of funny and kind of sad. I hope none of us have any more fake-outs! ***DUST*** to that!
Don''t worry, we were definitely the ones threadjacking!

I''ll go ahead and add that any time between the time I knew that DH had spoken with my father until the moment we got engaged (Thanksgiving) I thought it might happen. I would be driving home from work later than DH and think that maybe he woudl just randomly propose on a weeknight. I was lucky that he didn''t make me wait for long because I''m sure my LIWitis would have gotten out of control.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2010 10:47:34 AM
Author: Clairitek
Date: 6/23/2010 11:01:56 PM

Author: crossmyfingers

We exchanged gifts, just the two of us, on Christmas at my place. He handed me a very small package that was wrapped. When I unwrapped it, it was a box from a jewelry store. (At this point, in my mind, I was saying ''it''s not a ring it''s not a ring it''s not a ring''). I looked at him and he was smiling from ear to ear and I opened it... and it was a pair of small diamond earrings like I''d been wanting for a while. It was so hard not to cry. I was super happy with the earrings, but it was a little sad for it not to be a ring.

FF actually said, a few minutes later, ''I realized that looked like a ring box, I really should have said ''this is not a ring'' when I handed you it'' and I thought, ''no kidding!'' LOL.

Don''t worry, we were definitely the ones threadjacking!

I''ll go ahead and add that any time between the time I knew that DH had spoken with my father until the moment we got engaged (Thanksgiving) I thought it might happen. I would be driving home from work later than DH and think that maybe he woudl just randomly propose on a weeknight. I was lucky that he didn''t make me wait for long because I''m sure my LIWitis would have gotten out of control.

Imagine the anguish I''m feeling
23.gif

PrincessNatalie

Shiny_Rock
I have not once thought it was going to happen yet :)

TheyCall

Rough_Rock
omg. crossmyfingers - I would have instantly started crying. And felt awful about it. oh gosh. I can imagine it now. Crying while telling him how much I love them. **shudders**

He''s never gotten me jewelery before** so if a small jewelry box ever appears I''ll probably start crying on the spot. esp if it IS a proposal.

** I am fine with this, I''m not really a jewelry kind of girl and we''re still young. Plus, mom always teased that it is tacky to wear diamonds before you are engaged. :)

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2010 9:55:40 PM
Date: 6/23/2010 12:54:59 PM

Author: slg47

Date: 6/23/2010 12:47:36 PM

Date: 6/23/2010 1:49:17 AM

Author: slg47

C-tek where in CA are you moving?

also after reading all of these stories I hope my BF is kidding about preparing several ''psych-out'' proposals (he seems to be kidding...I think I would go crazy!!!)

SF Bay Area, on the Oakland side.

oh cool! BF and I are in Berkeley.

I was considering Albany as a possible town to live in. The company I am going to work for is in the Dublin/Pleasanton area. Livermore is near the top of my list but I am quickly discovering that the single family houses I can afford to rent that are within walking distance of the downtown area are not in the greatest neighborhoods. I got discouraged from Albany, Walnut Creek, and Concord because of the potential for a disastrous commute to Dublin/Pleasanton. Who knows though, I might love those towns enough to deal with it anyway!

I lived in Walnut Creek and worked in San Ramon, and honestly, it wasn''t that bad. My friends who still live there say the commute is much better now with the bad economy. Walnut Creek is awesome.

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
My partner told me in September 2009 that he planned to propose in March 2010, for our anniversary. When he didn't, I was bummed, but knew we were in a tight spot financially, already lived together, etc. One day in May he said, "Hey, let's go up to Pilot Mountain this weekend and hike." We don't hike, we've never been to the mountains together, and he hates to miss his weekend ultimate frisbee games. I definitely thought he had proposal plans. A few days later I said we should start getting the weekend plans together and he had completely forgotten that he suggested the trip.
40.gif
I thought, "Well, I guess it's not a proposal."
38.gif
Indeed, it wasn't.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results