shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone size Q and opinions needed on wedding band match to E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
While I''m waiting for Jeff White to get to my cutting project, I''ve been working on the wedding band.

I really want a band that matches the engagement ring, even if I don''t wear them both together every day.

I have two local jewelry stores that I like to go to. I purchased the e-ring setting at store #1, and they had a matching shadow band that I did not like. They offered to do a custom matching 3-row pave band for about $1800. I decided to try store #2 to see if they had something similar at a lesser cost. They are getting in a band for me this week that is supposed to look the same, and I expect that to be about $1500-1600. Meanwhile, I spotted a 2mm band matching my ring on Blue Nile...it was only $400 and I got another 10% corporate discount on top of that so it''s a really inexpensive band.

The Blue Nile ring is their new Petite Pave-set Diamond ring in 18k white gold.

The Blue Nile ring is 2mm wide. I think the one from Store #2 will be 2.5mm wide, but don''t recall. The bottom of my E-Ring is 2.5, so the width would more closely match my e-ring if so.

By the way, I plopped my first loose-stone purchase, a blue zircon in, to help me visualize the JW stone. I''m not so sure of the workmanship on the Blue Nile ring...the beads on the pave settings are "split" with a dent so not round like on my e-ring. Will try to post a close up through the loop of that.

Last...stone size question. The zircon which I will post next, is 7.6mm and a tad too large. Store #1 says they can set a 7.5mm stone in the setting. Store #2 which does a ton of in-house custom work (store #1 sends theirs out), says 7.25mm is the most they would set in. There is a line on the inside of the prong and I measured with my calipers between those points on the prongs...that is about 7.25mm. What size would you tell Jeff to do? I''ve never set a stone in a setting before, so am a total newbie at this.

Rings  592.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
With the 7.6mm stone

Rings  594.jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Best close up I could get of the Blue Nile ring.

Rings  594 (1).jpg

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Band alone--I''ll never be a hand model, at least there isn''t garden dirt under my nails at the moment.
9.gif

Rings  594 (2).jpg

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock
First of all - wow that''s some serious bling! I''m loving it!
30.gif

IMHO I think that the BN band is a little thin for the ering. It really gets swamped by the bling of the ering and this will be even more so the case when the stone is set.

The price difference between the BN and the other options is huge - but this will be your wedding band! (and you have already stated that you aren''t happy with the qulity of the BN ring)

I''m not expert in terms of setting stones so I''ll leave that question to the experts
1.gif

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks...the width was what I thought I wanted, but I''m seriously thinking a bit wider is needed, or go plain no bling maybe. I''ll try both options at Store #2, sure wish that other ring would come in.

I like the BN ring, but not so much the workmanship, but I suppose that is part of the difference in the price. I''ll try and get pics of the other one at the store. I can return the BN ring, though. They have extended their return til 15 Jan by the way for gifting over the holidays.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My recommendation is to let Jeff cut the stone first. It’s always easier to get the setting to fit the stone but not vice versa. Even custom cutting is not quite 100% made to order because there are limitations due to the rough material. I know you probably gave him a specific mm size you want but there are so many variables for Jeff to deal with that the final result might be slightly smaller or larger than expected.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono...Jeff is re-cutting an existing native cut stone, so has less risk on size (I hope!) than from rough. I''m trying to figure out what mm size to tell him since I''ve gotten mixed info from the two jewelers. Since I don''t have much experience sizing settings and stones together (none actually), I''m hoping someone here can advise which way to go...more conservative on size, which would be the 7.25mm size, or go for the larger size and trust them to figure it out. Jeff said he''s pretty confident he can get what I want from the stone (or a bit larger, darn it!, so I''ll lose more than I might because I got the setting first).

I''m leaning to telling him 7.3mm to be safe, but 7.5 would look so nice!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you could set Jeff the setting? Would he work like that? It would take a bit of the guess work out unless he never sets stones and is only a Stone Cutter. Just a wild idea.

I would try a plain band with that setting to see how it looks. If you don''t like the BN ring now you probably won''t like it later, so send it back.

HTH

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve thought about sending him the setting, but have no idea if that is a good idea or not...will discuss with him when he''s ready to talk about the cut. I (very carefully) wore the BN ring today...it''s growing on me some, it''s so delicate and comfortable that I can''t even feel it on my finger, which I like. I have a bad tendency to move my other rings around on my right hand...I have some size 7 rings that fit several fingers.

I am hoping that the other band will come in to the store tomorrow so that I can compare the two. I''ll probably not wear it tomorrow, but I can return it as long is it''s in the same shape as received.

Laura

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff got back from his holiday and told me he will be starting on my stone in 7-10 days...can I be that patient!?

He suggests a classic round brilliant for the setting and I agree, and I told him to cut to 7.3 to 7.4mm (to be safe).

Still waiting on the other wedding band to arrive at Store #2.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results