shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Security... 4 prong setting: 18 K gold vs 14 K gold

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If using a 4 prong setting for melee stones (as per the picture I attached). Will the stones be more secure with 14K gold or 18K gold - or does it not matter much. The prongs will be of the base metal for the band.

I have heard that one problem with prong set melee is that the small prongs are easy to bend and a stone can fall out. Note that I am will not use a setting that has a shared prongs becasue a bent prong would allow two stones to fall out.

There are an assortment of choices on melee size with similar styled rings (5 point, 7 point, 10 point, 15 point, 25 point, up to 50 point - the last two being out of the melee size range). I am likey to be in the 7 to 10 point range.

I personally like 18 K gold - but would consider 14K gold if there is much of a security increase on small prongs).

Perry

WB_144-7D - Pg 13.gif

DetroitNurse

Rough_Rock
I understand that 14k gold is stronger than 18k gold. How much more, I don''t know.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results