shape
carat
color
clarity

Still trying to decide....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mara, I agree about the cut. That was just doubt sinking in and I was trying to think of everything I could to see if I could make a decision on SOMETHING! Even though 1.3 is a lovely size stone, I am afraid it is not enough of a visual change from my 1 ct. I did try on a 1.4 at Tiffany''s and liked it a lot. But I really just need to go and be able to see all these stones in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you go and see them? Or have that lovely H VS1 sent to an appraiser and go see it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Carlotta! Now that would be a stone I could get VERY excited about...other than the price!!!
6.gif
I just can''t make myself go that high, but it would be PERFECT for me!!!!!!

Gypsy, I think I do need to consider DSS! I might ask for a new picture with that one compared to the 1.3. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/13/2006 9:57:11 PM
Author: Gypsy
Can you go and see them? Or have that lovely H VS1 sent to an appraiser and go see it?
I''m sorry I keep having delays in replying! My son keeps coming in and talking to me!

I don''t have an appraiser in my area, unfortunately. But I am close to considering paying for three stones to be sent and return two. I figure that would cost less than traveling to NY!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LMAO. Yeah... it probably would. Money flows through my hands like water in NY.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kristy, as you know I LOVE LOVE LOVE your ring, so I think you make an excellent point...DS, patience ain't one of MY virtues so I can see both sides...I am like Lorelei and KD, and if I am comparing excellent and pretty darned great and to my eyes they are both pretty, and one is clearly larger, no contest. I WOULD not take a larger stone that was dull, poorly cut, etc...but if, to my eye, the larger was stunning too, I would take it. If you would regret letting the "better" stone go AND think you might be done with upgrades (since when does THAT enter in?!) AND you are not as concerned with size for various reasons, go with the one that is more clearly of higher quality. I am not sure if you mentioned that you could see both or have someone you trust see both for you...any chance of that?

edit: I mean see both at the same time for a comparison, which it seems is vital, once I sent one back I might "forget" stuff...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondfan, regarding the first two stones I posted about, the 1.6 was a stone I did send for to look at from Wink. But I think the other girls are right that I''d probably always have mind-clean problems with it. It is a nice stone for a good price, though. The 1.3 stone I have not seen but trust the vendor (GOG). My main problem with it is worrying that I might get DSS and I don''t want to spend a fortune on a setting and then upgrade the diamond later. So I want to get the optimal size now...it''s just that it''s hard to decide anything without trying the various size stones on. I have tried on a few, most recently at Tiffany''s, but I really didn''t want to take too much of the salesman''s time when I knew I had no intention of buying there. I really liked the 1.4 I tried on, but those are not very common. I am unfortunately in an area with mostly 1 ct. and under diamonds, so I don''t feel comfortable going too big either.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is the difference between a 1.4 and 1.6 so big that you would feel funny? I agree with Mara that DSS can rear up, even when you least expect it...and that since you do not really want to upgrade again, maybe 1.5 is a good compromise and a bit less tough to get? (I have not searched for diamonds recently so I do not know about getting goods in certain sizes and specs)...I am sure as long as you love the stone you will get used to anything you decide on!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think 1.5 might be easier to find. I could probably get an H VS1. I wish the 1.6 at GOG was a little smaller! See, I need to grow the 1.35 and shrink the 1.6 and then I''d have one that was just right! I think H is very popular, though, because there just aren''t many in my optimal size range.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
What about this 1.57? I haven''t entered the #s to see what the HCA score is though but wanted to go ahead and throw it in front of you:

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/diamond/2206.html

It''s a G color so that fits your color requirement but I am a little worried about the location of the inclusion -- see what you think.

I know that Superbcert isn''t a PS vendor so they don''t come up on the search engine so you might not have come across this one.

DL

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, DL. I actually did look there because I am also considering the Superbcert Tiffany setting. I am looking for VS1 or above, though.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey DS. just wanted to chime in and say, I''d wait until you find exactly what you want. I know it''s hard, i''m in the middle of waiting myself
39.gif
but if you picky like me, you''ll always second guess yourself and wish you''d waiting for what you really wanted. I admit, the "bargin hunter" in me would have a hard time passing up that stone from Wink..

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/13/2006 8:48:40 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Lol!!! Earrings...that means TWO matching diamonds! Ugh! (Just kidding! That is on my list after the ring is done! My old ones are not up to the cut quality I now require, thanks to PS!)
hehehehehehe....
twice the fun!
11.gif

(hopefully it won''t take twice as long!)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
If it were me I would choose the AGS0 1.3 carat over the 1.6 carat, but I am not as much about size as some others. I think diamond shrinkage syndrome can set in no matter what carat weight you end up choosing. I also don't think the difference between a 1.3 carat and your preferred size of 1.4 carat will be that noticeable, but you have very specific parameters for a diamond and I would hate for you to feel that you "settled" for something that was less than what you really wanted.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
also DS I know you want VS1 or higher but I would really stress that it depends on the STONE and inclusion placement. I have seen some really amazing SI1 and SI2 stones so maybe you can at least drop it to look for an amazing VS2 and MAYBE an SI1 could get some consideration? It would get you that little bit of extra size.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial, I think you are right about a few things. One is that I am not so likely to get DSS in my real world because most of my friends and family have around 1 ct. stones. We may get DSS from PS, but it is not likely where I live! My current rings are very nice and I do not feel that 1 ct. is too small here. Any size up is a bonus, but I just want to be able to tell the difference myself, or else there is no purpose in getting a new stone!

The other slight hesitation I have is that my current diamond is an F and icy clear and white. I have been told many times on here that a H faces up very white in these superideal cut stones. The H stone I am looking at is a high H, which helps. I probably need to just send for it unset to look at it. I didn''t want to do that, because I really wanted to make a decision and have it set before sending it to me to avoid shipping back and forth. But maybe that would be the smart thing to do.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/15/2006 12:13:32 PM
Author: Mara
also DS I know you want VS1 or higher but I would really stress that it depends on the STONE and inclusion placement. I have seen some really amazing SI1 and SI2 stones so maybe you can at least drop it to look for an amazing VS2 and MAYBE an SI1 could get some consideration? It would get you that little bit of extra size.
Mara, I actually don''t have a strict budget, but I, of course, want a good price on whatever stone I choose! The clarity thing is mostly mental and partly influenced by high clarity stones of family members. That plus my current stone being SI2 and not liking the inclusion when I look at the stone with a loupe. And I would be looking at the stone with a loupe occasionally to check prongs, etc.

My major problem in this ordeal is that I have chosen a size (1.4) that is very uncommon, so it just takes longer to have more stones to become available in that size range. I might love the 1.35 H if I saw it, and maybe I am just going to have to see it to know.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2006 12:19:34 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 6/15/2006 12:13:32 PM
Author: Mara
Mara, I actually don''t have a strict budget, but I, of course, want a good price on whatever stone I choose! The clarity thing is mostly mental and partly influenced by high clarity stones of family members. That plus my current stone being SI2 and not liking the inclusion when I look at the stone with a loupe. And I would be looking at the stone with a loupe occasionally to check prongs, etc.

My major problem in this ordeal is that I have chosen a size (1.4) that is very uncommon, so it just takes longer to have more stones to become available in that size range. I might love the 1.35 H if I saw it, and maybe I am just going to have to see it to know.
I really agree with Mara. I''ve read enough of your posts to know that you are very clarity sensitive but each stone is different and limiting yourself in your selection may hinder the process that much more. I have 2 SI2 stones. My marquise is an EGL and I can''t find the inclusions to save my life even with a loupe. But my new infinity...it''s eyecleanish and that''s not a bother to me. I know exactly where the inclusion is and if I look super close in certain lights I can see it even though its white. I can see it from the side and again it''s not an issue. It''s a beautiful, beautiful stone and the beauty outweighs the inclusion. Anyway...I hope you can find a stone soon. I know this has been a long process as each stone you''ve gotten seems not to be ''the one'' just yet. I think when you do find it you''ll know immediately whether its a VVS, VS, or IF LOL. Good luck!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Small! Part of this process is actually learning what I do and don''t like, unfortunately. Despite making a few jewelry store visits, I haven''t been able to see any quantity of stones like these. So when I do see them, I can identify features I like or don''t like. I love the optical symmetry of H&A, but I didn''t know I did not like small tables until I saw one. That is the main difficulty of doing this on the internet. I''m sure I could pick out a stone if I visited GOG, for example!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results