shape
carat
color
clarity

Steaming your ring at home

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I''ve heard about steam cleaning your ring at home with the teakettle. Just wondering, how exactly do you do this w/o burning yourself? Is it safe for the ring? Should you add anything to the water? Does it work better or worse than an ultrasonic (or my current cleaning method, the dip tray)?
It bugs me that I know my stones are beautiful, they look great when I get them cleaned at the jeweler, but a day later they look cloudy with soapscum! (I don''t wear them in the shower, but wash my hands a lot!)
I''ve requested the SI ultrasonic for the holidays... cross your ring fingers for me! :)
Gail

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried this myself, clutching the ring in an oven mitt over the kettle steam, but I wouldn't recommend it, it is too easy to burn your fingers. Have you seen Wink's steam cleaner on his site Winfields under vendors? I love it, it is retro looking with a little spout and cup for the rings. It is also a great price. I think steaming is safe for the ring, but not your pinkies if doing it yourself with a kettle. I will find the link for you to see the cleaner, back in a mo'!

http://www.winkjones.com/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=16195&cat=266&page=1 Here you go, I love this thing!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow! I am getting hungry already!
37.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I used to steam my rings with my tea kettle holding the ring with long tweezers (kitchen tongs could work). It worked pretty good, but I use the ultrasonic too to get the big gunk off first.

Then a month or so ago, I got the Jewel Jet steam cleaner. It is great!! I still also use my ultrasonic, but the steamer really makes it sparkly. I got mine on eBay for about $75.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's great to hear a good review on the jewel jet DL! I love the design of it - would look great in my kitchen!
9.gif
I know someone here steams theirs in a metal sieve above a pan with water and ammonia, would have to be very careful with fumes I would imagine.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! You could also just hold the ring above a steaming cup of coffee or tea if the stone doesn''t have too much goop on it. That has always worked well for me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure I read here too that someone uses their capuccino machine or expresso for steaming too.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Here's a link that will cure the problem

Rubber tipped steaming tweezers

http://www.stuller.com/public/product.aspx?prodGrpID=a5a91f6c-c5a3-400a-a908-2067f08ab921&categoryID=6315265d-359e-4d70-982f-ce5f293a24ed

This company doesn't sell direct, but your local jeweler should be able to order them for you

Depending on which one you pick the price probably will be $ 15- $ 30

There is also a tea "ball: type "contraption" that is like a balll that open made of screening in different sizes.... good for rings with small stones. and tennis bracetls etc. So if a small stone falls out it gets trapped in the ball. This is a good tool for using in the ultrasonic for rings with pave...so any stone that does come out will stay in the ball.

Rockdoc

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Here are what the pros use.... Photo show two different sized tea ball thingies and steam tweezers

( The one Wink sells comes with a set of tweezers. )

Rockdoc

DSCN0160sm 2.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Steaming Cautionary Note:

Not all items of jewelry should be steamed. It is certainly ok for diamonds.

But many colored stones can be damaged by steaming. Ask before steaming certain colored stones..

Opals, emeralds and some dyed or treated stones should NOT be steamed.

Tanazanite should not be put in an ultrasonc.

NEVER NEVER NEVER take a steamed ring and rinse in a cold liquid. Severe temp change can cause feathers to open or stones to crack.

Rockdoc

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn’t advise you doing that just b/c it may be dangerous for you and your ring.

I use my Starbucks Barista cappuccino machine to clean my ring and it works pretty well. However I think nothing beats a professional steamer at the jewelers; it shows that extra bit of detail in my stone.

I was thinking about getting that Jet steamer myself. I asked a seller on ebay how many pressure bars the Jet had and they said about 40. My cappuccino machine has about 8-12. There is also another “professional steamer” that has 80, but it sells for about $300.

TechSales

Rough_Rock

Hey, thanks for the great Xmas present idea gailrmv! I just bought my GF an engagement ring (should be able to pick it up Fri. or Sat.) and saw this post - hey, what better xmas present then something to help her keep her ring sparkly so she can show it off to her friends right!?!?!

Can anyone suggest the best cleaner? Ultrasonic vs. steam? Brand, etc. I have seen a few good reviews on Ultrasonic cleaners here but I’m a little worried about the motion of them and it causing the stone to loosen or something. On the other hand I have heard about the dangers or steaming your ring and having it crack like RocDoc stated.

The ring is 1CT and set in White Gold...

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Another thought............

If you''re using a steamer you should use distilled water in it.

Rockdoc

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the great ideas, info, and products! THANKS especially rock doc for letting me know about avoiding the cold rinse. I could see myself making that mistake.

This morning before reading all your posts, I tried another method that actually worked pretty well. I placed my ring on a chopstick (knew that sushi set would come in handy) and held it in front of my teakettle. The chopstick got my ring right in the line of fire but my hands well out of harm''s way. Although it was still not the results I see from the jewelers, it was much cleaner than before!

I''ll definitely look into those other products especially the long tweezers. (I''ll fake out my husband telling him it is a new eyebrow product!)

Do you guys think that steaming is less or more dangerous to the ring than ultrasonic cleaning?
Thanks!
Gail

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
One more question a jeweler told me about hot using lemon ammonia to clean my ring. What about adding some to the distilled water when I steam?

Spartan

Shiny_Rock
I have what may be a stupid question about steaming - what is it that actually *cleans* the diamond / metal?

Is it the actual hot steam coming out of the spout? OR is it the pressure of the steam that gets it so sparkly?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i think there is steaming aka in a cup or with the teakettle with just slow puffs of steam rising around the ring, and then there is the gusty steamer that the jeweler uses that blows the hot air into it.

for me just steaming it in a cup doesn''t get it any cleaner than my ultrasonic does after 2 cycles. but the jeweler gusty blowing steam one i think gets it a little cleaner still.

have to say that i never thought i''d believe so strongly in a product but the ultrasonic is a little beautiful wonder. i run my rings through twice and they look 99.9% like they do when they come back repolished AND cleaned from the jeweler. if you have a ring with no pave then i''d highly recommend an US.

Kojack

Rough_Rock
Would you consider steaming safer for a pave ring with a thin band? I am about to purchase the Jewel Jet over the Ultrasonic from SI for an Xmas gift. Will this be a better choice between the two?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, well! What a timely thread!!!

I just bought a home steamer and I LOVE it! I just ran across it on Brian Knox''s website while cruising around the web recently, and I see it''s the exact same one that Wink has.

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/storeimages/products/458_image.gif
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/storeimages/products/458_image.gif

It is VERY awesome! I have the same SI US that Mara and others have and I love that, too. But I just got to thinking that until I have a STEAMER I don''t have ALL the toys!
20.gif
2.gif
1.gif
The steamer works really well, and I think it would be a great way to really clean the delicate pave and micro pave that some people have. It''s a nifty addition to my cleaning arsenal... and man, my diamonds they are a''sparklin''!

My opinion - the steamer is worth every penny!

smappraisal

Rough_Rock
I would like to recommend rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to clean your diamonds and jewelry. The toothbrush gets in hard to reach areas and the rubbing alcohol does not leave a "film" on your diamonds and colored stones. Run it under warm water when your done and your things will be as clean as you can get them at home.

Steve Marino
Fine Jewelry Appraisal Svcs.

targa

Rough_Rock
my grandmother used to boil water on a gas stove and place baking soda in it, then take it off the heat of the stove and place her gold/diamond rings/earrings in it and lightly brush them-
i''ve never tried this personally, not sure if it is dangerous(seems like it could be with the heat) but her stones always cleaned up nice.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
You guys are such a bad, bad influence. I just ordered the Jewel Jet steam cleaner today after reading this thread. I have the Salton and really like it, mainly for the steam part of the machine. However, the Salton is HUGE and takes up too much space on my laundry room counter, so I am looking forward to getting something smaller. I''ll let you know how it compares to the salton jewelry spa after I''ve received it and tried it out.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
41.gif
41.gif
Bad influence????? US????????
face20.gif
Of course!!!! I think you definitely NEED the jewel jet Mrs Jam to keep that glorious diamond of yours in top twinkly condition! Any excuse for more pictures of your beauty
30.gif
30.gif
you will have to post before steaming and after steaming pics of it
9.gif
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 12:05:54 AM
Author: mrs jam
You guys are such a bad, bad influence. I just ordered the Jewel Jet steam cleaner today after reading this thread. I have the Salton and really like it, mainly for the steam part of the machine. However, the Salton is HUGE and takes up too much space on my laundry room counter, so I am looking forward to getting something smaller. I'll let you know how it compares to the salton jewelry spa after I've received it and tried it out.
mrs jam

i got mine from Wink. it takes 2 mins to warm up and you'll be steamming.
9.gif
but,keep it away from your hubby's rare coins .

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei, you are too bad!
41.gif
As if I need any more encouragement!

DF, I''m not even allowed to touch his coins. That is the way to get on the man''s nerves very quickly. Once I pretended to lick one of them and he just about had a heart attack.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 11:05:06 AM
Author: mrs jam
Lorelei, you are too bad!
41.gif
As if I need any more encouragement!
I know!
16.gif
Couldn''t resist though and I really think more pictures of your honker NEED to be forthcoming
41.gif
hint hint.... You pretended to lick one of his coins????????? That''s hysterical, did he go really nuts?
face20.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I love my Jewel Jet, but I think I want to get a better pair of tweezers than the ones that came with it. The ones that came with my Jewel Jet are hard to grasp tight. Sometimes the jet of steam is so hard, it blows the ring out of my grasp and into the basket. It does do a great job though.

Lynn, I love having "all the toys" too.
2.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2005 7:11:57 PM
Author: gailrmv
One more question a jeweler told me about hot using lemon ammonia to clean my ring. What about adding some to the distilled water when I steam?

I would think that is OK with an ultrasonic, but I don''t think its advisable for a steamer.

The pros use distilled water ( at least most of them do that take pride in their steaming do). Many use tap water but if it has a lot of minerals in the water it will "gum" up the works.

I know with the professional units, they recommend using distilled water in the steamer''s tank.

Rockdoc

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 11:17:19 AM
Author: diamondlil
I love my Jewel Jet, but I think I want to get a better pair of tweezers than the ones that came with it. The ones that came with my Jewel Jet are hard to grasp tight. Sometimes the jet of steam is so hard, it blows the ring out of my grasp and into the basket. It does do a great job though.

Lynn, I love having ''all the toys'' too.
2.gif
yep....the ones with the rubber tip.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Eureka Hot Shot handheld steam cleaner that is supposed to be for the shower and tile grout, but I have used it more on my rings instead.
31.gif
I haven''t used distilled water in it, just tap water, and it does get the rings cleaner than the dip tray, but not as sparkling as the jeweler''s steam cleaner does. I have a long pair of tweezers to hold the ring, and my rings doesn''t have any pave in them. I hope this is a safe method to use!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results