shape
carat
color
clarity

Steam cleaning diamond jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sahmama

Rough_Rock
I already have an ultrasonic cleaner (not a great one), and was considering purchasing either the Salton cleaner or the Jewel Jet for the steam. While cleaning my bathroom floors with my Euro Pro steamer, it occurred to me that there is a tile grout cleaning attachment for it that looks like the jet on the jewelry steamer. I decided to give it a go--held a pendant with some tweezers (using a washcloth wrapped around the end of the metal handle), gave it a blast, and bam! Looks great; think I just saved myself some $$$. But I am going to get some of those rubber tipped tweezers.

Question: Do you think steam is a safe way to clean a 14K yellow gold/diamond ring that has been rhodium plated? I''m never sure what to do with that one because I don''t want to wear the plating away so quickly.

Jtseng

Rough_Rock
Hello
emsmile.gif

I recently went to an indepedent appraiser with over 30 years of experience and a member of the American Society of Appraisers. She is a Master Gemologist Appraiser and I trust her tips on cleaning jewelry. She told me to never ever blast a diamond ring with a steamer because you run the risk of popping the diamond out. Keep that in mind when you go to a jewelry store to have it cleaned as well. Be sure to ask them how they will clean it. She also recommends not soaking the ring in any solution, and instead, use a 1/2 lemon ammonia 1/2 water solution to dip your toothbrush into and gently scrub your ring. Hope this helps!

~j

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/11/2005 9:40:30 PM
Author:sahmama
I already have an ultrasonic cleaner (not a great one), and was considering purchasing either the Salton cleaner or the Jewel Jet for the steam. While cleaning my bathroom floors with my Euro Pro steamer, it occurred to me that there is a tile grout cleaning attachment

Off topic...what is this Euro Pro steamer you speak of? It sounds like something I could use on my tile. Do you have link?

Thanks!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Orbaya, I also have the Euro Pro Shark. I am inserting a link for you to the one I bought from the place I bought. It''s the very top one on the page. It has the floor attachment. Hope this helps. link I also use it to clean my ring. It does a fabulous job.

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Rats, the link worked, but it didn''t bring up the page I linked
29.gif
Will try again for you.

Shay

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
here goes. link

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know where I can purchase rubber tipped tweezers?

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2005 10:13:34 AM
Author: Jtseng
I recently went to an indepedent appraiser with over 30 years of experience and a member of the American Society of Appraisers. She is a Master Gemologist Appraiser and I trust her tips on cleaning jewelry. She told me to never ever blast a diamond ring with a steamer because you run the risk of popping the diamond out. Keep that in mind when you go to a jewelry store to have it cleaned as well. Be sure to ask them how they will clean it. She also recommends not soaking the ring in any solution, and instead, use a 1/2 lemon ammonia 1/2 water solution to dip your toothbrush into and gently scrub your ring. Hope this helps!

Does she mean it will pop out a small stone like pave or something? Or all stones, even a solitaire? My jeweler let me see their industrial steamer up close and personal. It''s not popping out a solitaire. Unless it''s a loose stone, it''s not gonna pop anything out if it''s set properly. Goign by that 30 years experience, I''m gonna guess your jeweler is a fuddy duddy who doesn''t like to spend any money on new equipment and is set on only using techniques that HER grandparents used.

mrs jam

Brilliant_Rock
It would have to be a very poorly set solitaire for it to just pop out while being steamed. I''ve never heard of such.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2005 4:23
6.gif
8 PM
Author: kaleigh
Does anyone know where I can purchase rubber tipped tweezers?
I did a google search for "steam tweezers" and there''s a large list of places from which to purchase. Remember to get long tweezers (10 inch or longer) so your fingers don''t get cooked along with your sparklies.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata,
Thanks, good to know!
1.gif

sahmama

Rough_Rock
Kayleigh, Otto Frei and Kassoy both have them...and I''m sure there''s some on ebay too (isn''t everything?)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2005 10:13:34 AM
Author: Jtseng
Hello
emsmile.gif

~j
if your stone pops out that easy you shouldn''t be wearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results