shape
carat
color
clarity

Starting to Plan a Trip To Europe - where to book and where to go?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, all - my husband and I have found out that his company did not make their numbers this year earning us an incentive trip, which is a bummer, but that leaves the whole year open to go to Europe!

We wanted to go for our honeymoon, but 2 years later isn''t too bad, right? I think we''re shooting for March or April, but we''re open as far as timing goes.

So, I''ve lived in London, spent loads of time in Belgium and northern France, as well as Ireland and Scotland, so I''d like to focus our trip in the Mediterranean. W has a friend who lives in Austria, and one who lives in Germany, so we''ll likely take a trip over to at least see him, and see Neuschwanstein (I''m fascinated with castles and that''s the Grand Daddy of them all, IMO).

So, places I would love to go - Lisbon, Barcelona, Nice or Cote d''Azur, maybe Paris as I''ve never been, Florence, the Amalfi Coast, and if we can make it up to Germany and Austria, we''ll probably try to hit it on the way in or the way out.

Also, my husband loved The Netherlands, so he''d like to fly into Amsterdam.

So, ladies and gentleman - tell me your experiences and who you booked your trip with, how you traveled, and how much pre-planning you did. TIA!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool Lauren! How long are you going for?

And Neuschwanstein was very cool...I really enjoyed it even though it was touristy (and the only "tour" I took while in Europe). It was winter, and was just a wonderland.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Oh, go to Cinque Terra! It's one of my favorite places in the world. It's 5 fishing villages on the Italian Riviera and it is just BEAUTIFUL. Also, Florence is lovely, but consider the rest of Tuscany as well...Lucca, Sienna, etc. are beautiful cities. The Amalfi Coast is lovely, but Napoli is a bit...well, sketchy I guess, at least in parts. The archaeological museum there is certainly worth a visit, though, as it holds all the findings from Pompeii.

I'm also partial to Spain, but if you're focusing on the Mediterranean, that may be a bit far afield.

ETA: I just realized that I didn't answer any of the questions you actually asked...whoops! The last time I went was after I'd lived in England for 8 months or so, so I didn't have to worry about the flight over. One thing you may want to consider, if you're going multiple countries, is taking RyanAir or another budget airline rather than doing a Eurail pass. It's far cheaper and you can still do train travel within individual countries. Another thing you may want to consider is renting a car (although if you're in Italy, you may not want to deal with the drivers!).

I ended up staying in hostels when I went, but I was traveling by myself, so I wasn't worried about the ambiance so much. I went when I was a teenager with my family, though, and we ended up staying at some interesting hotels--from B&Bs to monasteries! Another thing you might consider if you're going for a long period of time is renting an apartment for a month in a central location and just taking day trips or one-nighters. Huge savings and it saves you the stress of constantly having to pack and move.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm... well, it totally depends on your taste, but that just sounds like a lot of zipping around to me for one trip... think about if someone was coming to the US and wanted to see Seattle, Anchorage, NYC, Savannah, LA and Chicago. You'd probably say 'WHOA there!' Also, flights within Europe can be expensive. As can international trains (I mean CRAZY expensive).

If I were you, I'd pick a smaller area to explore. You should also keep in mind that just because Europe is across the ocean doesn't mean it's actually that far. Off season, you can get flights for a few hundred bucks, same as flying to LA from the east coast. So, it's not like you can't go back, even for a weekend.

So, for example, it is totally feasible to fly into Rome, go spend a few days in Amalfi (about 2 hours south of Rome), visit Pompeii and Naples, a day or two in Rome, meander up to Florence and see the beautiful Umbrian and Tuscan villages and countryside along the way, train over night from Florence to Vienna or Salzburg (easy peasy), then spend a couple of days in Vienna, a couple in Salzburg, and then go to Munich (near your castle) which is a hop skip jump from Austria. That is a totally chilled out, wonderful trip with an amazing variation of landscapes and cultures. Then you can fly out of Munich and back home. Flights to Rome on, e.g., United, often go via Munich so this should be feasible. This is a two week type trip.

ETA: Cinque Terre is AWESOME! And a vigorous but doable daytrip from Florence.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:32:09 PM
Author: TravelingGal
Cool Lauren! How long are you going for?

And Neuschwanstein was very cool...I really enjoyed it even though it was touristy (and the only ''tour'' I took while in Europe). It was winter, and was just a wonderland.
TGal! I was hoping you would be drawn to my thread!

Ideally, we''d like to be over there for 3 weeks, but I think it''ll realistically be about 2 weeks, allowing for one day to travel over there each way.

I''ve been dying to see Neauschwanstein since I was a child, so that''s lovely to hear that it was a tour you deemed worthy of seeing!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:46:54 PM
Author: ladypirate
Oh, go to Cinque Terra! It''s one of my favorite places in the world. It''s 5 fishing villages on the Italian Riviera and it is just BEAUTIFUL. Also, Florence is lovely, but consider the rest of Tuscany as well...Lucca, Sienna, etc. are beautiful cities. The Amalfi Coast is lovely, but Napoli is a bit...well, sketchy I guess, at least in parts. The archaeological museum there is certainly worth a visit, though, as it holds all the findings from Pompeii.

I''m also partial to Spain, but if you''re focusing on the Mediterranean, that may be a bit far afield.
I''m actually hoping to get to Spain, and also Portugal, simply because I am half Spanish, and I watched a Passport to Europe with Samantha Brown as she ventured through Lisbon. I was hoping to keep things around Spain, France, and Italy, but my husband is really dying to see his friend in Austria, so that threw quite a wrench in things.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Italy is next door to Austria, and far from Spain! A nice compromise.

ETA: So maybe do Spain and Portugal together next time?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:50:21 PM
Author: Independent Gal
Hmmm... well, it totally depends on your taste, but that just sounds like a lot of zipping around to me for one trip... think about if someone was coming to the US and wanted to see Seattle, Anchorage, NYC, Savannah, LA and Chicago. You'd probably say 'WHOA there!' Also, flights within Europe can be expensive. As can international trains (I mean CRAZY expensive).

If I were you, I'd pick a smaller area to explore. You should also keep in mind that just because Europe is across the ocean doesn't mean it's actually that far. Off season, you can get flights for a few hundred bucks, same as flying to LA from the east coast. So, it's not like you can't go back, even for a weekend.

So, for example, it is totally feasible to fly into Rome, go spend a few days in Amalfi (about 2 hours south of Rome), visit Pompeii and Naples, a day or two in Rome, meander up to Florence and see the beautiful Umbrian and Tuscan villages and countryside along the way, train over night from Florence to Vienna or Salzburg (easy peasy), then spend a couple of days in Vienna, a couple in Salzburg, and then go to Munich (near your castle) which is a hop skip jump from Austria. That is a totally chilled out, wonderful trip with an amazing variation of landscapes and cultures. Then you can fly out of Munich and back home. Flights to Rome on, e.g., United, often go via Munich so this should be feasible. This is a two week type trip.

Hehe, Indy - that was just a list of cities I'd like to choose from - not an itinerary.
2.gif
Since I lived in London, I know how exhausting it is to travel from place to place to place, so I'm trying to narrow it down to 3 countries max, and I'm so happy that you added your input, especially about Italy! Maybe we should just do Italy and Austria, and a day trip to Bavaria . . . I wanted to hit Barcelona this time, but as you said, off season tickets are pretty inexpensive, and I'd like to devote an entire trip to Iberia.

This is good, keep the advince coming, ladies!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:50:21 PM

I''ve been there twice--once as a day trip from Lucca and once staying for a few days. Both times it was just HEAVENLY. My favorite village is Vernazza. There''s an awesome restaurant right on the main square and I love that they don''t allow any cars in the town.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
If you make it to the Amalfi Coast, be sure to go to Positano!!!
Here''s the hotel we stayed at for our honeymoon... Le Sirenuse....it was incredible! The entire Amalfi Coast is a sight to be seen -- those winding roads, incredible cuisine, and friendly people....

http://www.lesirenuse.it/

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Mmmmm.... Lucca. Luscioussssss... Lucca is so yummy. And did you know that back when it was still a Republic, it used to have LIBERTAS! scrawled across the city walls. How cool is that?

In terms of how much planning to do, in March, you can totally just meander. I never book in advance off season, and it's never much of a problem. Spend a few days here, a few there. Buy your train tickets as you go. No big whoop.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with IG''s itinerary...and even then it''s more than what I would like to do in 2 weeks. I could happily do it in 3 though...

Yes, the castle is worth if you have always wanted to see it. Keep in mind it was never finished...the internal tour is not all that, but honestly, I was very happy to see the castle''s exterior. There is the other castle nearby that is more complete, if my memory serves me correctly (but interestingly, all I remember is Neuschwanstein from the tour).

I have not gone to Cinque Terre, but would go in a heartbeat. TGuy and I spent some time at the Amalfi Coast and he really loved the Cinque Terre more.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Actually T''Gal is right that that''s probably more of a three week trip (she says, counting on her fingers).

If it were me, I''d spend almost the whole time in Italy, but then I''m biased. Italy is, like, my favourite place in the world. Or at least in my top 3.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
View of one castle from the other the day I went. Fresh snow overnight...

And I really enjoyed Lucca as well...it is the perfect spot to daytrip to Pisa, as the train route is easier and drops you right near the tower. I know people say Pisa is so touristy, but honestly, I think it''s a pretty cool sight to see. If you do go to Lucca...rent a bike and ride around the wall!

bothcastles.JPG

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:59:54 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds
If you make it to the Amalfi Coast, be sure to go to Positano!!!
Here''s the hotel we stayed at for our honeymoon... Le Sirenuse....it was incredible! The entire Amalfi Coast is a sight to be seen -- those winding roads, incredible cuisine, and friendly people....

http://www.lesirenuse.it/
Oh my! That hotel is beautiful - what an amazing honeymoon that must have been!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:09:55 PM

And I really enjoyed Lucca as well...it is the perfect spot to daytrip to Pisa, as the train route is easier and drops you right near the tower. I know people say Pisa is so touristy, but honestly, I think it''s a pretty cool sight to see. If you do go to Lucca...rent a bike and ride around the wall!
TGal, that photo is awesome! What time of year were you there?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Le Sirenuse used to get great reviews on travel boards. It probably still does!

Lauren, I was there...let me see...that had to be January. I arrived in Europe on January 15, so my guess is that was about a week to week and a half after my arrival into Paris.

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:09:55 PM

Oh my, i love your photo! i''ve always wanted to visit there too!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock

Does the idea of a cruise interest you at all? I know lots of people who have taken mediterranean cruises and ssiad it was a great way to see loads of destinations from Spain to Italy to Croatia to Greece.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lauren,

DH and I went to Germany and Austria a few years ago. We saw the castles, etc. One place you must visit in Austria is the little village of Hallsatt. It is absolutely beautiful and all along the lake district, don''t know the German word for it. We packed a picnic lunch and ate by the lake. We never wanted to leave there.

Linda

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:06:49 PM
If it were me, I'd spend almost the whole time in Italy, but then I'm biased. Italy is, like, my favourite place in the world. Or at least in my top 3.

Me too! I spent a month in Lucca just doing day trips (Pisa, Florence, Via Reggio, Cinque Terra) and relaxing and it was the best vacation EVER.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi
If you have only 2 - 3 weeks, I would really focus on a key area and see some surrounding countries - you still need to factor in travel between places and within a country IYKWIM eg Austria/Italy and Bavaria/ and a flight to Amsterdam, or Spain/Portugual with maybey a flight to Paris.

The other thing to consider is that March can be wet in central Europe, so the later the better. In a way Winter has lovely snow, Autum the leaf colours, Summer is beautiful, but if you go to early in Spring, you just get wet with bare trees . Leaving it as late as possible in April will mean in central europe you have the buds and spring flowers comming and less chance of drizzle. the meditarranean, I am not to sure about, I would also check weather conditions.

Enjoy the planning, and let us know what you decide.
35.gif

D2B

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 9:22:14 AM
Author: D2B
Hi
If you have only 2 - 3 weeks, I would really focus on a key area and see some surrounding countries - you still need to factor in travel between places and within a country IYKWIM eg Austria/Italy and Bavaria/ and a flight to Amsterdam, or Spain/Portugual with maybey a flight to Paris.

The other thing to consider is that March can be wet in central Europe, so the later the better. In a way Winter has lovely snow, Autum the leaf colours, Summer is beautiful, but if you go to early in Spring, you just get wet with bare trees . Leaving it as late as possible in April will mean in central europe you have the buds and spring flowers comming and less chance of drizzle. the meditarranean, I am not to sure about, I would also check weather conditions.

Enjoy the planning, and let us know what you decide.
35.gif

D2B
This is all such good information! Thanks for your input D2B!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 9:19:31 PM
Author: mintve

Does the idea of a cruise interest you at all? I know lots of people who have taken mediterranean cruises and ssiad it was a great way to see loads of destinations from Spain to Italy to Croatia to Greece.
I''m not really a cruising kind of person - I''d much prefer to rent a car once we''re in Italy and just drive . . . my husband and I are both car people, so we will definitely enjoy the traveling between locations, too.

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/7/2008 8:57:19 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Hehe, Indy - that was just a list of cities I''d like to choose from - not an itinerary.
2.gif
Since I lived in London, I know how exhausting it is to travel from place to place to place, so I''m trying to narrow it down to 3 countries max, and I''m so happy that you added your input, especially about Italy! Maybe we should just do Italy and Austria, and a day trip to Bavaria . . . I wanted to hit Barcelona this time, but as you said, off season tickets are pretty inexpensive, and I''d like to devote an entire trip to Iberia.

Speaking as someone who grew up in Bavaria....how about doing Bavaria and Austria and a day trip to Italy?
2.gif

If you''re doing a day trip to Bavaria, you''re only going to be able to see one measly castle. That''s depressing.
4.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 11:29:53 AM
Author: Julianna

Date: 1/7/2008 8:57:19 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Hehe, Indy - that was just a list of cities I''d like to choose from - not an itinerary.
2.gif
Since I lived in London, I know how exhausting it is to travel from place to place to place, so I''m trying to narrow it down to 3 countries max, and I''m so happy that you added your input, especially about Italy! Maybe we should just do Italy and Austria, and a day trip to Bavaria . . . I wanted to hit Barcelona this time, but as you said, off season tickets are pretty inexpensive, and I''d like to devote an entire trip to Iberia.

Speaking as someone who grew up in Bavaria....how about doing Bavaria and Austria and a day trip to Italy?
2.gif

If you''re doing a day trip to Bavaria, you''re only going to be able to see one measly castle. That''s depressing.
4.gif
Julianna, I have to say, I loved by time in Bavaria. In the words of the two German prison wardens I drank with at a beer garden, "Bah-vareeaah ees nuhnbahr one!"

That being said...I''d still have to recommend Italy as an anchor point because I think the food is better.
2.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 11:37:30 AM

Julianna, I have to say, I loved by time in Bavaria. In the words of the two German prison wardens I drank with at a beer garden, 'Bah-vareeaah ees nuhnbahr one!'

That being said...I'd still have to recommend Italy as an anchor point because I think the food is better.
2.gif
Ok I'll give you that. I've been to Italy briefly and everything was delicious. Also, Italy has some mean beaches, whereas Germany has.....rivers and lakes?
5.gif

I love your prison warden anecdote, you are bound to meet some fairly interesting people in any given Biergarten if you hang out long enough.
9.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
But I still love Germany! Rivers and lakes are gorgeous! There actually wasn''t a whole lot in Europe that I didn''t love.

And if you drink enough beer in a beer garden, people are bound to become interesting!
9.gif
(I had about 4 of these...which helped because walking into a beer garden alone with all those communal tables can be pretty intimidating. Please excuse how scungy I looked...I was backpacking after all, and not sure when was the last time I had a shower!)

TGALwithMasse.JPG

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG TG you drank 4 of those????????? I could not even drink half of mine, while DH and I were in Germany, ha ha ha ha ha ha. I loved their pretzels too, they were so yummmmmmmmmy. DH loved their pork dishes.

Linda

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2008 12:13:12 PM
Author: Linda W
OMG TG you drank 4 of those????????? I could not even drink half of mine, while DH and I were in Germany, ha ha ha ha ha ha. I loved their pretzels too, they were so yummmmmmmmmy. DH loved their pork dishes.

Linda
3 or 4...I can''t remember. I was there for awhile, and had to hang with the prison wardens.

(just went back and checked my travel notes...it was 3...and I didn''t finish the 3rd, I believe...yes, it''s a crapload of beer)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results