shape
carat
color
clarity

Starruby.in or The Natural Sapphire Company?

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
Hi, has anyone had good experiences with this vendor Starruby.in? Or The Natural Sapphire Company?
I keep looking at rubies from both vendors, but can't decide on whom to buy from.
Starruby.in has good prices for SI1 and S12 rubies, and a lot of them come with GRS. But are they stock photos? They say they post pics of the stones they are actually selling, but how can they update their photos all the time?
But the photos and pictures are beautiful. But do their SI1 and SI2 rubies look as eye clean as they say?

The Natural Sapphire Company looks easier to return, based in North America. But most of their rubies don't come with GRS, or GIA. Can I invest that much money when they only come with an in house certificate?

Also, NSC rubies that are SI1 or SI2 don't look as clear as the Starruby.in SI1 /SI2 rubies.

Which vendor is more trustworthy? Do they both use stock photos?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't purchase from either, myself.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased from Starruby some years ago. It was a sizeable rubellite that came with a report. It all checked out I was very happy with it. Shipping was extremely good, and they had great communications.

I can't say what they're like now, but wanted to give you my singular experience.

Also my experience with them is that they used a lot of light on their stones.

I don't have any experience with NSC except for how representatives of their company acted on this board. That too was some years ago and it got ugly. Twas kinda funny, because it was some kind of pissing match!

at any rate, both will have happy customers, and some maybe not so much. If you're in the states NSC will be more convenient. Going with starruby you will incur some international costs per shipping, and some wait time (about 10 + days) and if you're not in love with the stone, sending it back can be a pain in the rear. I don't recall the return policies for both but would be well worth it for you to look up before purchase.

Hopefully more people will chime in to give you their feedback.

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. Did your rubelite look very closely to their photo on the website?

I bought one ruby, a pair sapphire and one padparadscha from starruby and returned the ruby and the pad. Nothing was as promised or on image, I paid incoming taxes (lost cash) and the sapphires where actually not available but they wanted to cut them for me post-order. I declined and will never go near the place.

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the information. How long ago was this? I'm just wondering if this was recent.
But this is good to know.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it was within the same color range. Again, I urge you to do research on them as my experience was a one off, and, though I was happy I don't know what they're like now.

If they send stuff to GRS (gem research swisslab) then you have a means of verification by putting in the report info on their website. But verify its actually from the above lab and not some other lab that uses GRS in the name (there are a few out there)

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
Thank you. That is very useful. I did not know I could do a report verification on GRS website.
Do you know if GIA or AGL allow you to do report verifications on their website?

Also, you mentioned some other labs may use GRS name? Is there any way these other labs duplicate GRS verification codes?

Thanks

I must withdraw my comment from above.

My bad experience was NOT with starruby but somebody else whom I wont mention without need. I never bought from starruby.

Mixed names up. So sorry. Can the moderators delete my negative comment?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jamie_c_l|1488428045|4135443 said:
Thank you. That is very useful. I did not know I could do a report verification on GRS website.
Do you know if GIA or AGL allow you to do report verifications on their website?

Also, you mentioned some other labs may use GRS name? Is there any way these other labs duplicate GRS verification codes?

Thanks

There's one in india. Different coloring but they use GRS in their name (at the beginning)

GIA does online verifications
https://www.gia.edu/report-check-landing

AGL dosen't have offer online checking, but you could call them fill out the form on their contact page. I found them to be responsive to telephone calls.

http://aglgemlab.com/contact/

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
As stated in other threads on colored stones, clarity grades are usually meaningless, as each dealer tends to say what it wants to about its grade for its stones. And it isn't clarity that usually determins a good stone, but color, color and color. (It's like the three things that count in real estate: location location location.)

Jamie_c_l

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1488480944|4135614 said:
Jamie_c_l|1488428045|4135443 said:

Thanks

There's one in india. Different coloring but they use GRS in their name (at the beginning)

GIA does online verifications
https://www.gia.edu/report-check-landing

AGL dosen't have offer online checking, but you could call them fill out the form on their contact page. I found them to be responsive to telephone calls.

http://aglgemlab.com/contact/

Thanks again. Is It quite common to come across lab reports pretending to be GRS?
(More common than pretending to be GIA or AGL?)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results