shape
carat
color
clarity

Stardust antique asscher ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Could you give me your opinions on this ring? I saw it at Stardust Antiques last week & thought it was lovely, but don''t have much information on the stone. Here is the information Stardust provides on their website:

2.02 ct
Old Assher Cut diamond
H/I color VS1 clarity
Handmade platinum mounting has
6 diamonds .08ct tw
Circa 1925 Size 6
$12,000

http://www.stardustantiques.com/Engagement%20Rings/antique_engagement_rings.html

The seller said the measurements are 6x8, but that he didn''t have other information on the stone. I contacted him for more information on appraisals, etc., but have not heard back yet. I am concerned as the stone is not certified & I don''t have much information to go on.

Some of my concerns are: value for dollar, does the stone have a wide girdle, how is the spread for a 2 ct, is it an issue that the stone is out-of-square? If I''m seriously considering this ring, should I have it certified? I understand that the best appraisal could be made if the ring is removed from the mounting, but would that compromise the value of an antique piece to alter the mounting?

Also, does anyone know if a reproduction mounting like this is made commercially? I really love the mounting & have seen several bands that would match it well.

Thanks for your help!

Stardust asscher 1.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Here''s another picture. I''m sorry they''re so blurry...

Stardust asscher 2.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I think it is very lovely, but what do you know of the cut? And what sort of wedding band would be worn with it?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh that is pretty
18.gif

if you really like the ring, i would fully assess the sellers return policy and then HAVE IT APPRAISED. many, if not all, of your questions can be answered with an accurate appraisal.
if you wanted to, you could buy the mount and a certified stone and make up your own ring.
2.gif
www,faycullen.com sells reproduction semi-mounts. i think this one is very close
2.gif

ringrepro3.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I agree--see if the seller will agree to send it to an independent appraiser of your choice before you buy. Dave Atlas (Old Miner) specializes in old stones, so he''d be my first choice. (Also because, judging from his posts here, he''s a real mensch.) Or, if you''re local to the store in NYC, there are lots of good appraisers here, too. I used Robert Aretz, at Dave Atlas''s recommendation, to appraise some heirloom jewelry from the same period & liked him a lot. A good appraiser would be able to answer your questions about value, cut, etc. without taking the diamond out of its setting.

To me that looks like an emerald cut, not an assher. It''s rectangular, not square, and it doesn''t have the wide "windmill blades."

It is very beautiful, though. I can see why you like it!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooh, that is a BEAUTIFUL ring!

Glitterata answered your questions, but I just wanted to add that I think buying this ORIGINAL would be so much more meaningful than a reproduction. I hope you get great feedback from the appraisal.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Belle, Good call--that Fay Cullen setting is very similar! (though perhaps a bit less dainty) It says the mounting is for a round stone. Do you think they could customize it for an asscher?

Matatora, I can''t find a picture of the wedding band I tried w/ this ring, but it''s a deco style band that alternates little squares w/ little leaf shapes & each shape is set with a tiny diamond. I''ve seen them in several stores, but can''t find a photo for the life of me! I tried the band & the asscher e-ring on together and, while they didn''t fit flush, I think they looked really nice together & complimented each other. I really have very little information on the cut, though.

The more I think about the little I know about the ring, the more doubts I have. I also have not yet heard back from the seller re: my questions. Would it be better to have the ring appraised or certified before purchase if possible? Who should bear the cost of this--me or the seller?

Glitterata, thanks for the recommendation of an NYC appraiser. I''ve heard great things about Dave Atlas, but wonder if it would it be easier to send the ring to a local appraiser.

Thanks, everybody for your thoughts! Keep ''em coming!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results