shape
carat
color
clarity

Star sapphire ring, tourm pendant, mint garnets pictures!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Re: Star sapphire ring, tourm pendant, mint garnets pictures

The pendant is awesome! I like the rose gold with the star sapphire and agree that the bezel is a little wonky, but I honestly don't notice it in the far-away shots, only in the close-ups. I suspect it's not too obvious in real life.

The garnets are really nice too! My only concern about the necklace is that the middle stone is so close to colorless that it seems to go straight from colorless into BAM! GREEN! I'd like to see more of a gradation. You could also take the one you don't use for the necklace and make it into a ring. I see what looks like a tilt window, but it will probably close up in a setting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey Jstar :)

The bezel irregularities show up more or less depending on the lighting (and how the shadows are cast), but from arms length away, they aren't really noticeable. I'm just a stickler, lol.

The 6mm garnet has more of a tilt window (phooey) but it's extremely bright and sparkly, so I think I can make my piece with it. The smaller garnet for my 3 stone pendant is actually a more saturated color but on camera it appears almost white just due to how bright it is. But in person you can definitely see the color there. :)
Also..I think "BAM" green isn't necessarily a bad thing, hehe.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

What about using the OEC and both of the mint garnets in a pendant, and the tsav in a ring?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The blue sapphire ring reminds me of those Roman rings from antiquity. The bezels weren't perfect on those either, and I think its simplicity lends itself well to the design and the uneven bezel, if that makes sense.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MTG,
Thank you for the awesome pictures. Glad you are honest and critical with the setting work. I am sorry about the bezel for your star sapphire because that cabochon looks great in rose gold. It‘s still such a lovely ring though and the imperfection is so minor that people will not see it when you wear it. Your other prong set pieces look great in the workmanship department so all is good.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL: I agree, there's something about this ring that reminds me of the old style jewelery I saw while I was in Rome. I quite like the look actually.

Chrono: Thanks! I like my new pieces alot. I'm not very disappointed in the bezel as I knew that it was unrealistic to expect it to be perfect. No regrets going with Daniel M at all, he's very pleasant to do business with and I think the quality of his work is fitting with his prices. I mostly sent it to him over Sally to see if I could find somebody in the US to do fine bezeled pieces (because shipping overseas still scare me a bit, especially with pieces that are difficult to replace). I'll likely still go to her for bezels on stones that I can bear to ship, like my Barry opal that should be coming in the mail today :bigsmile:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb|1289789277|2766190 said:
What about using the OEC and both of the mint garnets in a pendant, and the tsav in a ring?

Mmm...I'm not a huge mint fan...might be minty overload for me. :tongue:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mm...didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but are there any specific care issues for star sapphires? I understand that sapphires are pretty tough and sturdy gems, but I wanted to check anyways! Thanks :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MTG,
I do not believe that a star sapphire needs any different care than a regular faceted sapphire.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

I haven't had a chance to comment on this yet, but I really like the way the star sapphire ring came out. I agree that the slightly imperfections give it character, like an antiquity. I also think that they're barely noticeable. Yay! Congratulations!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

velouriaL|1290642684|2778648 said:
I haven't had a chance to comment on this yet, but I really like the way the star sapphire ring came out. I agree that the slightly imperfections give it character, like an antiquity. I also think that they're barely noticeable. Yay! Congratulations!

Thanks Veloria!

Sadly as time goes by, the irregularities are more are more distracting to me. I likely will get it reset into a prong setting to let in more light and really show off the translucency.

Zzz

Rough_Rock
Trade

the star sapphire is so pretty! i love the colour and the rose gold of your ring does go well with it.
But… I do feel that the bezel is not very well done and kinda distracts from the gorgeousness of the star sapphire :(
If it bothers you enough to want to reset it, how about Sally’s Lotus ring desgin?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

After the holidays and the first few months after their baby is born, I'd contact them again about using the tool they mentioned to smooth out the bezel. I think it would be highly unlikely to damage a Mohs 9 stone (and sapphire has pretty good durability as well as hardness). If that makes a huge difference, it may save you the cost of a reset until much later down the line.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

MTG- I'm sorry the bezel finish isn't what you wanted! I actually really love the handmade look of it. I've gifted bezel pendants made by Dan to my bridesmaids last year and I did notice that some of the bezels looked like yours but I chalked it up to the fact that its a handmade piece. I hope either they can smooth it out for you or reset with prongs. So pleased to see that you're using their services to set your stones! They're lovely people.

jstarfireb|1290750570|2779520 said:
After the holidays and the first few months after their baby is born, I'd contact them again about using the tool they mentioned to smooth out the bezel. I think it would be highly unlikely to damage a Mohs 9 stone (and sapphire has pretty good durability as well as hardness). If that makes a huge difference, it may save you the cost of a reset until much later down the line.

DanielM and wife are expecting? Woot!! Sorry to threadjack, just had to ask to make sure I'm right about who you're speaking of.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, they are expecting in December :))

Congratulations to them, and I agree, they are lovely people !

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Although I really do like this setting, since you are thinking of having it reset...

...may I suggest some diamonds? I just think some sparkly encrustedyness would really set the stone off.

Also, I am obsessed with this setting from singlestone right now, and can really imagine the star in something like it:
fantasy_rosecut_singlestone.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just came back to check on the other items - I think your tourmaline and opal pendant is a stunning piece and looks great on you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

velouriaL|1290829219|2780128 said:
Although I really do like this setting, since you are thinking of having it reset...

...may I suggest some diamonds? I just think some sparkly encrustedyness would really set the stone off.

Also, I am obsessed with this setting from singlestone right now, and can really imagine the star in something like it:
fantasy_rosecut_singlestone.jpg

Vel,
I've been eyeing this same setting from SS; I think it'll be great for a translucent stone like MTG's star sapphire.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a gorgeous setting!

I'm not sure it could accommodate the "butt" my sapphire has though..lol. I think one of the reasons Dan had more trouble with this bezel than usual is because of the shape of the sapphire, it's a high dome and not flat at the back either...

I already contacted Sally for a reset. Yeesh, I'll have 3 projects going on at once with her, I think that's a new record for me.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What great pictures! You really captured your pieces beautifully. So much to comment on.. they are all just gorgeous pieces! I really like the brushed finish on the sapphire and the rose gold is so suttle, I would not have known it was rose gold. I can see what you mean about he bezel work being a little off, but I know it is incredibly hard to get bezel work right...especially with a stone like that. I too would worry that I would ruin the stone...but like Chrono said, you really can't see that it is off too much... especially from a distance. Love the pendant...but what I am really drooling at, is the tsavorite! :love:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the bezel irregularities are more noticeable in person as the ring moves than in the photos. As the ring moves, you see the light bouncing off all the irregular angles and edges on the bezel, and it's distracting because the cab is so smooth and liquid. I think I wouldn't mind if it were a faceted stone, but as it is, I'm constantly rubbing at the edges like a nervous tic, lol.

Bezel irregularities aside, I also just think this setting is too heavy and clunky. I had conveyed that I wanted to really preserve the roundness and airy quality of the stone, and this setting just covers a lot of the curve of the stone and flattens the shape out. And the stone looks kind of sunken into the setting, and in general does not have the delicate and graceful look I was looking for.

Here some photos of the unset stone where you can really see the luscious roundness of the stone.

Also...hate to say this but rose gold isn't particularly flattering for my skin tone, lol. I think I'll still go with rose gold around the stone, but likely with a white or yellow gold band.

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1148.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Right now I'm thinking of doing a lotus with diamonds on the sides and maybe in the petals as well to add a little shimmer. Generally I don't like accent diamonds, but in this case I think it would look nice with a little sparkle.

Alternatively, if I can't do a prong setting well due to the shape of the sapphire, I was thinking of a JM inspired piece (so sad he doesn't work with outside stones anymore!) with an asymmetrical accent diamond. I love how organic and quirky it is, and I'm sure sally would do a more delicate version.

1358 link-3.jpg

lots.jpg

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think Sally could come close to doing a JM type setting. Maybe with a little beading/milligraining would be pretty too!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

I really love your star sapphire ring, but uneven bezel bugs me as well, so I understand your thinking. My favourite Daniel M bezel ring is this aqua ring, although you can still see some unevenness there. Have you bought a bezelled piece from HOW before?

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/32013415

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovinggems|1290997250|2781381 said:
I really love your star sapphire ring, but uneven bezel bugs me as well, so I understand your thinking. My favourite Daniel M bezel ring is this aqua ring, although you can still see some unevenness there. Have you bought a bezelled piece from HOW before?

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/32013415

I do have a bezel piece from Sally, a Barry Spinel in her Iolani setting. The bezel is not only much smoother and neater on the inside, the entire width of the bezel is more even and formed. The current bezel kind of looks like the stone was put into the bezel, and the edges just pushed onto the stone if that makes any sense.

IMG7479.JPG

vbnet

Brilliant_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1289681431|2764703 said:
Thanks Baby Nurse!
I love my pendant too! I think there's a niche of geek-sheik jewelry that's just waiting to be cashed in on! I love the pixelation effect of the tourmaline and the general look of the pendant with the black rubber cord.

+1 :love:

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock

Love your dewy star sapphire!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agnesg|1291004971|2781520 said:
Love your dewy star sapphire!

Thanks, I love it too!!

I can't wait to reset it and see it in a more fitting home :)

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

I love all your pieces. I love how the ring turned out but I see what you mean with the bezel, and if I remember correctly, you like clean bezels.

If you decide to reset it, I would make sure the sapphire can be removed safely.

ETA: You know I love Sally, but boy her prices have gone up. I realize the cost of gold has gone up. But I miss the days where I could send a bunch of stones to her at once. I can't afford to do that anymore!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results