shape
carat
color
clarity

stand alone Chubb policy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Does anyone have any info about getting stand alone Chubb insurance. All the agents I talk to tell me Chubb won''t allow stand alone policies, but based on prior posts, it seems that really they just don''t want to do it (maybe they feel it is not worth their effort).

I would appreciate any tips on agents, etc. to use. I would consider other companies that offer stand alone, but I am interested in a cash payout type of policy (not replacement where they chose what they think is comparable). Amica, which I have for other insurance, only offers plans where they replace it.
Thanks!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
If you do a search here, there are some posts were people have mentioned which agents they have used.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Check out this thread: LINK

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I had no trouble getting a stand alone policy. I just called up a local agent and asked if they could write me a valuable articles policy. They asked if I had any homeowners or renters insurance policies. I told them yes but I didn''t want to add my ring to my homeowners and would they write me a policy without having other insurance through Chubb. I was told it would be no problem. Everything was handled over the phone or by fax and my policy was sent to me without any downpayment up front. The cost was only a small amount more than to add a rider to my exisiting homeowners policy and the coverage is so much better.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
David Stone is an agent who is often recommended here. His offices are in Florida, but I believe he can write for just about anywhere in the US.

The Plastridge Agency of Boca Raton
Toll Free: 1-800-473-6603
In the Boca Raton Area: (561) 395-1435
E-mail: [email protected]

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I called 3 separate Chubb agents, none of which would write me a valuable articles policy without me having homeowner''s or renter''s insurance through them. I know Chubb is notorious for different agents doing different things, but it put me off so much (what, do I have to call 10 different people to find ONE who would just do it?!) that I went through another company altogether.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
FG, that's unfortunate.

If David Stone was one that you called I'd like to know, as I have referred him from time to time (he wrote for me years ago) as do others here.

bizgk

Rough_Rock

From what I have read, it seems like brokers of Chubb take the value of the piece being insured in deciding whether to offer a stand alone policy. The value of the e-ring I am trying to insure is around 15k, which is more than the 10-12k many people say they were not offered stand alone policies on, but less than the 18-20k+ amount that seems to hit the magic mark. I will let you know how it turns out early this week.

Understandably, if brokers make a % or some commission based on the amount of the yearly premium, they will be less inclined to go through the paperwork for items valued at less than their threshold amount. I don''t like it, but I understand it.

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I had a stand-alone Chubb policy for my e-ring through an agent in Massachusetts.
I did have some trouble finding someone who would do it. I had several heated areguments with agents that did not end pretty because I knew they were lying when they said they couldn't do it. They just didn't want to it. I even explained I would add other jewelry (namely my wedding band and my husband's diamond earrings) once I added the e-ring and would likely also go through the same agent for our renter's and then homeowner's insurance. They weren't swayed, which I find so stupid because they lost a lot of business.
I finally found an agent who would do it - it was the first time they did because no one had ever asked before. It may have helped that my husband uses them for his auto insurance. I was so happy with them we now have our renter's insurance as well as all our other jewelry insured through that agent - and we'll keep them for a homeowner's policy once we close on our condo at the end of the year.
Good luck.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
I was contacted by a broker who told me he would help me get the stand alone policy (I emailed over 10 people listed on the Chubb Web site to see if there would be anyone that responds).

This person told me it would cost about $2.34 per $100. Is this reasonable? (I live in NYC.) I can get a rider for my Amica coverage and the cost comes out to about $150 per year (roughly half of what the policy through Chubb would cost me based on the price that was quoted to me).

Thanks.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have all my rings through a Chubb agent all in 1 policy.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
I think you have to compare the $2.34 per $100 to other "cash" policies. It is expensive compared to a "replacement", which you said you would not want. The rates also depend where you are located so they will vary from location to location. Meaning the same Chubb policy could be more expensive in NYC vs. Orlando, Florida.

As food for thought ,as to get the best bang for your buck, which is really what this forum is all about.........Would you consider a replacement policy if you could get all the detail you wanted in the "Declaration Page" That is the part of the policy which describes your ring/diamond. Some people on this site have opted for this to save money on insurance. For example, if you have a "Hearts and Arrow" stone, and you do not want it to be replace with any stone but a H&A, you might consider this in your Declaration Page of the policy.

I checked my policy with State Farm, I live in NJ, and pay about $1.10 per $100. Good luck.

bizgk

Rough_Rock
does anyone know any other "cash" policier providers other than Chubb i can compage the $2.34/$100 rate to?

kratty

Rough_Rock
For anyone looking for a Chubb agent in the Washington, DC area, I HIGHLY recommend you call Georgia with Flather & Perkins. They are a high-end insurer, but because they do so much business with Chubb, they allow their agent to do stand-alone valuable item policies.

bgunther

Rough_Rock
What is the advantage of Chubb over my Regular insurance agency? I got quoted $61 yr for 10,000 worth of insurace.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results