carat
color
clarity

SS Green grossular garnet

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Is it a Merelani Mint? Is it a Tsavorite? NO!! It is a GREEN GROSSULAR GARNET
9.gif

So I have been on the look out for a bright happy open green for a long time and I finally found what I was looking for! GIA slBG 4/4 was my goal and I feel that this stone is a good example... lets start with the vendor picture :)

GG-1.66-8.5-6.3-4.1-SI.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Here is the first in a series

SSgreenov1.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS,
Any more photos? Do you have some of it next to your other mint grossulars? Would love to see how the saturation compares. What are the specs on the gem, and please take some sunlight shots! Thanks!!!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
More photos, yes I have those! I dont have a comparison photo, but suffice it to say that my two mints look "anemic" next to this new stone. The stone is 8.5 x 6.3 x 4.1 mm and 1.66cts so its a pretty decent sized stone for a ring. I have no direct sunlight shots but here is one under spotlight :)

SSgreenov3.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Looking electric
10.gif

SSgreenov4.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
In a ring holder...

SSgreenov10.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 8:10:32 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
Looking electric
10.gif

Love this shot!
30.gif
Very nice stone!! Are you planning on setting it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice! It looks a lot bluer than the AJS picture. Any outdoor pictures? I suspect the green might play up better under natural lighting and the blue plays up under indoor lighting.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
That looks beautiful SS, great find!

If someone wouldn't mind, can they point me to the link on AJS for this stone?
I haven't used them before and I am trying to become more familiar with the site..

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Arjunajane. The link to their Tsavorite page is
http://www.ajsgems.com/tsavorite-garnet-gemstone-garnet-2046340407.html I hope you find it helpful!

Date: 6/17/2010 9:29:27 PM
Author: arjunajane

If someone wouldn''t mind, can they point me to the link on AJS for this stone?
I haven''t used them before and I am trying to become more familiar with the site..
call me daft, but I can''t find grossular garnets on there
40.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
slightly sleepy texture?

SSgreenov13.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thank you thank you ;-) Someday yes it will be set, though admittedly oval stones are much more difficult for me to design rings around but I have a few ideas floating around
34.gif

Date: 6/17/2010 8:16:25 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Love this shot!
30.gif
Very nice stone!! Are you planning on setting it?

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono, thanks :) It def has a nice blue under fluor and natural light conditions (overcast here where I live). When the sun comes out maybe all my little green friends will come out to pose for a photoshoot hehe

Date: 6/17/2010 9:19:01 PM
Author: Chrono
Very nice! It looks a lot bluer than the AJS picture. Any outdoor pictures? I suspect the green might play up better under natural lighting and the blue plays up under indoor lighting.

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
more medium green with strong saturation

SSgreenov11.jpg

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
and a head on shot showing some of the facet structure...

SSgreenov12.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 9:31:46 PM
Author: sleepyspinel
Thanks Arjunajane. The link to their Tsavorite page is

http://www.ajsgems.com/tsavorite-garnet-gemstone-garnet-2046340407.html I hope you find it helpful!

Date: 6/17/2010 9:29:27 PM

Author: arjunajane

If someone wouldn''t mind, can they point me to the link on AJS for this stone?

I haven''t used them before and I am trying to become more familiar with the site..

call me daft, but I can''t find grossular garnets on there
40.gif

Oh thanks SS - I was confused as you said it wasn''t a tsav in your first post..
got it, cheers!
and enjoy your new lovely, such a pretty colour.
5.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Well by trade standards it is not considered a Tsavorite.

Technically Tsavorite and Merelani Mint garnets are both members of the Green Grossular Garnet family however people tend to associate a specific range of hue, tone and saturation positions for either "named" variety. This stone occupies neither as I feel it is somewhere in between the two. However because Tsavorite is a coveted and well known gem, some vendors choose to lump all their green grossular garnets under that moniker. I prefer all the green garnets to be together so I can look at a variety for comparison and contrast :)

I also think that Green Grossular Garnet is simply not a alluring name, very scientific and stuffy albeit accurate...

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very pretty. I like the color.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
it glows..like an emerald to me...wonderful. I should probably start my search on a green garnet since a chrome green tourm is so tough to track down one

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree...it has neon-like glow

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Nice neon glow!
36.gif
36.gif

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your kind words marcyc, Agnesg, crasru, chictomato I really appreciate them. Its really bright and reminds me of spring :)

I actually checked it under the good old black light and it definitely fluoresces like light green grossular garnets tend to do albeit with less intensity. I am starting to think that the higher the concentration of the chromophore, likely chromium and/or vanadium, the more subdued the fluorescent response to UV light...
34.gif
Anyone care to chime in on that?

-SS

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Why do I have the urge to grab some salt and tequila....? Gorgeous stone! I envy your collection SS!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
The colour of this stone in your pics compared to vendor''s is considerably bluer. Have you just discovered the first Tsavolani? Whatever you call it, it looks to be a beautiful colour

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Brandy, a margarita sounds nice right about now!
12.gif

Date: 6/18/2010 9:39:45 PM
Author: brandy_z28
Why do I have the urge to grab some salt and tequila....? Gorgeous stone! I envy your collection SS!

sleepyspinel

Shiny_Rock
Tsavolani? I like that! heheheh I am think the vendor photo was taken in a very bright fluorescent lighting dome whereas my shots were mainly taken under more ambient lighting conditions.

Date: 6/19/2010 5:32:28 PM
Author: klewis
The colour of this stone in your pics compared to vendor''s is considerably bluer. Have you just discovered the first Tsavolani? Whatever you call it, it looks to be a beautiful colour

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Love your new stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results