shape
carat
color
clarity

squishing your ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
I went to the jewelers today to get those little sizing balls put into my ring because it fits over the knuckle perfectly, but always twists. the lady at the shop suggested that i have it "squished" instead. She said that they just press it into a little more of an oblong shape to better fit the finger and that would take care of the twisting (it''s a really tiny band and really top heavy. She said it happens naturally over time anyways and would only take a couple of minutes to do.

has anyone heard of this or had it done as a sizing method?
would it be safe to do with a pave ring?
and....
am i incredibly vain for not wanting to mess with the perfect circle of the ring??

i appreciate any and all input!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of that before, but heck what do I know, LOL. I wouldn''t do that with a ring that has pave....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that sounds odd!! def not with any diamonds in the band! but even then, it sounds odd.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never heard of that, and I personally wouldn't do it. Pave (definite no no) or not.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
That''s just whack. Sounds lazy to me.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I don''t like the sound of that.....

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

reinventing the euro shank? I would skip it.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely not do that. Pave or no pave.

I have big knuckles, but small fingers and I did not want to do anything permanent to my rings, so I just use these ring huggies that I buy at claire''s accessory store. They are these little plastic rolls that you cut to size and I pop them on once my ring is over my knuckle.

They are cheap and not permanent, which is good as sometimes my fingers get swollen when I sleep or during the summer time.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others. I wouldn''t do it with a plain band and I definitely wouldn''t do it if it had pave. I asked John (or was it Bob?) at WF about sizing balls/beads and he said that they don''t recommend them. I forget why though.

SDL, can you explain about the horse shoe sizer thingy? I read a previous thread where it was mentioned (by you?) but I still didn''t quite get it. Thanks!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I agree with others. Sounds very odd and I would definitely not do that to a pave ring!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another DON''T DO IT from me. I imagine that would pop the diamonds right out of the band. And if not, it can''t be good for the structural integrity of the ring. Yikes. Maybe it''s time to find a new jeweler!

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I have the same knuckle issue and after three resizings of my ER, the jeweler put in what he called a "bridge" -- I don''t know if this is common or not...it''s a very small upside-down "u" they added to the inside of the ring...the ring still slides over my finger and doesn''t spin.

I have never seen anyone else with it, though. Am I blessed with a highly creative jeweler? Who knows. It works for me!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 5:25:06 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
23.gif

reinventing the euro shank? I would skip it.
lol.gif

justme1

Shiny_Rock
Squishing?!?!? NO NO NO
pound.gif

I have the horseshoe on my ering and I love it. I have another ring that I have the sizing balls in but I do not like them, I find them very uncomfortable. They are always digging into my finger. So I’d say go for the horseshoe.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 6:19:14 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 1/4/2008 6:10:20 PM
Author: jas
I have the same knuckle issue and after three resizings of my ER, the jeweler put in what he called a ''bridge'' -- I don''t know if this is common or not...it''s a very small upside-down ''u'' they added to the inside of the ring...the ring still slides over my finger and doesn''t spin.

I have never seen anyone else with it, though. Am I blessed with a highly creative jeweler? Who knows. It works for me!
Its a horseshoe...
31.gif

YAY!
35.gif
That''s what I started to say, but she says an "upside down" u, that wouldn''t be what we''re talking about. Because, it would be the other way around... A horseshoe would be just like a U in the bottom of the shank, not upside down
33.gif
Am I missing something?
41.gif

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2008 6:50:34 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 1/4/2008 6:19:14 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 1/4/2008 6:10:20 PM
Author: jas
I have the same knuckle issue and after three resizings of my ER, the jeweler put in what he called a ''bridge'' -- I don''t know if this is common or not...it''s a very small upside-down ''u'' they added to the inside of the ring...the ring still slides over my finger and doesn''t spin.

Its a horseshoe...
31.gif

YAY!
35.gif
That''s what I started to say, but she says an ''upside down'' u, that wouldn''t be what we''re talking about. Because, it would be the other way around... A horseshoe would be just like a U in the bottom of the shank, not upside down
33.gif
Am I missing something?
41.gif
Right -- it''s not like the pic in the linkie SDL...shorten that horseshoe and flip it upside down. Like an unlucky horseshoe?

Or maybe it''s a different breed o'' horseshoe?

Hmmm...now I''m curious. I googled it and nothing came up. Wow. Maybe I have a one-of-a-kind piece? Riiiiiight.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve had all sorts of sizing mechanisms in various rings over the years (bead, bridges like jas''s, even something similar to the horseshoe spring, but not flexible and much smaller). They have all worked fine and I perfer them vastly to the idea of squishing any of my rings. Yikes!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the explanation SDL!
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
My kids watch Hannah Montana all the time. I read what was suggested and the first thing I thought was: Crazy jewelry lady say WHAAAAT????

''nuf said on that one I think.
20.gif

shay

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve actually seen this in person...a gal came in to where I work to have her rings cleaned, and I noticed her e-ring had sizing beads but was out-of-round (but very consistently so, like a perfect oval). When I was finished cleaning her rings, I showed our bench jeweler and asked him if he could make the ring round again and he said he couldn''t without ruining the sizing beads, he would have to take them out, round the ring, and put them back in again. I had never seen a ring intentionally squished before and I''m guessing neither had he. Now that I''ve read this thread I bet the customer had it done to her ring so it wouldn''t spin. It was too symmetrical of an oval now that I think about it.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
thank you all so much for your feedback! When I told her i was nervous about doing that she looked at me like i was crazy and asked why. I''m so glad that i said i''d like to think about it and walked out. eek!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results