shape
carat
color
clarity

Spessartite/ Hessonite/ Rhodolite Garnet?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is not too much, but the price of garnets is growing exponentially! Who would have thought?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i think the stone is appropriately priced.

my experience is that stones in person are always darker than in photos.
if those flashes of color where predominate, the stone would be a lot more $$$.
and it if were not precision cut, it would be less $.

garnets will go up as other "more desireable" stones become unaffordable. spinel was inexpensive at one time.......sigh.

mz

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 11:17:06 AM
Author: crasru
It is not too much, but the price of garnets is growing exponentially! Who would have thought?
The red family of garnets are still very good buys in the gem world. Once you get into the greens, some yellow-greens, color changers, and orange garnets, they can be a bit more pricey. Gene cut a very beautiful stone for Neil Diamond (the singer) once. I would say that's also an exemplary rhodolite garnet. Does anyone have the link to the photo?

ETA: I found the link to the photo. This is an umbalite garnet. It's a very fine colored rhodolite found in the umba valley of Tanzania, hence the name "umbalite."

NeilDiamondStone.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
um, WOW!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL,
That’s a very beautiful umbalite. I also like AJ’s umbalite that Gene cut and is set by James Meyer. The colour is so rich without looking dark.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 4:11:21 PM
Author: Chrono
TL,

That’s a very beautiful umbalite. I also like AJ’s umbalite that Gene cut and is set by James Meyer. The colour is so rich without looking dark.
Hi there! Thanks for the references! But personally I feel that that Rick''s rhodolite seems nicer from the picts??

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/18/2010 7:31:26 AM
Author: ma re
Date: 3/18/2010 4:50:31 AM

Author: chictomato

Hi there! It''s me again:) What do you think of this rhodolite? Does it seems too dark? I thought its of a pretty color? TIA

It''s pretty. What are the specs? The price?

Hi there just to keep you guys update, I had just make my purchase. Will post some photos when it arrives! By the way, I have been looking thru the link and I realize that the origin was not stated. ''asia'' was reflected in the description, is that the origin?TIA

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
hi there! the rhodolite has arrived
1.gif

It is really of a beautiful color with purple flashes. But it does turn dark in certain lights.. Here are the RL photo when its under the ''right'' light condition. I have to say that the precision cut is superb
5.gif
let me know your view!

Photo0154.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1.gif

Photo0187re.jpg

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
5.gif

Photo0196re.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2010 6:38:52 AM
1.gif

It is really of a beautiful color with purple flashes. But it does turn dark in certain lights.. Here are the RL photo when its under the ''right'' light condition. I have to say that the precision cut is superb
5.gif
let me know your view!
Hi chictomato! Your rhodie has gorgeous purple flashes and looks a lot like mine. Red-type garnets can be a bit finicky, and Gene even calls them "ladies of the night," meaning that they often look best in incandescent light, but can go a little dark under fluorescent and direct sunlight. Mine turns a little dark in certain lights too, but I think that''s just the nature of garnets.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/3/2010 12:17:52 PM
Author: cellentani

1.gif

5.gif
let me know your view!
Hi chictomato! Your rhodie has gorgeous purple flashes and looks a lot like mine. Red-type garnets can be a bit finicky, and Gene even calls them ''ladies of the night,'' meaning that they often look best in incandescent light, but can go a little dark under fluorescent and direct sunlight. Mine turns a little dark in certain lights too, but I think that''s just the nature of garnets.
Thanks cellentan! It is really well-cut, but it can really gets quite dark, it is a tad small for my project too. Does a smaller size makes a slightly darker stone even more so?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2010 12:54:52 PM

1.gif

5.gif
let me know your view!
Hi chictomato! Your rhodie has gorgeous purple flashes and looks a lot like mine. Red-type garnets can be a bit finicky, and Gene even calls them ''ladies of the night,'' meaning that they often look best in incandescent light, but can go a little dark under fluorescent and direct sunlight. Mine turns a little dark in certain lights too, but I think that''s just the nature of garnets.
Thanks cellentan! It is really well-cut, but it can really gets quite dark, it is a tad small for my project too. Does a smaller size makes a slightly darker stone even more so?
Hi chic - I have several pieces of jewelry that I''ve had made from Rick''s Royal Rhodolite and it is my understanding that just the opposite is true. The material gets darker with larger size. I was looking for as large a pear as possible for a pendant, and 7 x 10 was as big as he would go because the material was too dark any larger than that. I have some 4 mm rounds and they are lighter in color.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/3/2010 3:13:33 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Date: 4/3/2010 12:54:52 PM

1.gif

5.gif
let me know your view!

Hi chic - I have several pieces of jewelry that I''ve had made from Rick''s Royal Rhodolite and it is my understanding that just the opposite is true. The material gets darker with larger size. I was looking for as large a pear as possible for a pendant, and 7 x 10 was as big as he would go because the material was too dark any larger than that. I have some 4 mm rounds and they are lighter in color.

Thank you Fly girl for the info! I have to say that the color is pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chictomato,
If the dark color really bothers you, I don''t think they all go dark like that in various lighting. I do believe Arjunajane has a very fine rhodolite, also from Gene, and it''s around three carats. She has stated in the past, if my memory is correct, that her stone is lively in all lighting, and doesn''t shift or go darker. I could be wrong. You may want to search her posts to confirm. I believe her rhodolite is actually an umbalite.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
thanks tourmaline lover for the additional info! it has this beautiful violet red with flashes of purple blue, i am contemplating if to return. i tried taking a final good look at both the rubellite and rhodolite. and the rubellite is the one that looks good in all light without blacking out. i would like to decide if to have it return, hence i tried looking at the rubellite under incandescent light, direct sun and under the shade. in all 3 light conditions it still look purplish red. honestly i do not know why does it appear that orangey in the group pict, nor can i take another photo of it looking that orangey red.. weird...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2010 1:14:24 AM
thanks tourmaline lover for the additional info! it has this beautiful violet red with flashes of purple blue, i am contemplating if to return. i tried taking a final good look at both the rubellite and rhodolite. and the rubellite is the one that looks good in all light without blacking out. i would like to decide if to have it return, hence i tried looking at the rubellite under incandescent light, direct sun and under the shade. in all 3 light conditions it still look purplish red. honestly i do not know why does it appear that orangey in the group pict, nor can i take another photo of it looking that orangey red.. weird...
Wait, chictomato, are you''re saying that the rubellite was only orangey-red in the photo, but was actually purple-red in person? Did you use the same camera settings in all 3 of the different lighting conditions? If so, then it was probably just the camera sensor not adjusting to the incandescent light! As long as it actually holds it''s color IRL, it doesn''t matter what the camera shows.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s a lovely rhodolite IMO, but then, they''re one of my favorite gemstones so...
1.gif

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a rhodolite for Valentine''s day and I do notice it goes dark in some lighting; but when it lights up it''s gorgeous!!!! Enjoy yours!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/4/2010 10:38:42 PM
Author: motownmama
I just got a rhodolite for Valentine''s day and I do notice it goes dark in some lighting; but when it lights up it''s gorgeous!!!! Enjoy yours!
EXACTLY!! + the precision cut. I am having second thoughts to keep it:) And I think I am gonna keep it:) Thanks so much for all the replies!

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/4/2010 8:46:09 AM

Date: 4/4/2010 1:14:24 AM
Wait, chictomato, are you''re saying that the rubellite was only orangey-red in the photo, but was actually purple-red in person? Did you use the same camera settings in all 3 of the different lighting conditions? If so, then it was probably just the camera sensor not adjusting to the incandescent light! As long as it actually holds it''s color IRL, it doesn''t matter what the camera shows.
Hi ma re and cellentani thanks for the reply! I checked thru this newly purchase samsung camera phone and yes it will automatically change its setting to adapt to the light of the object, that should explain why I have almost 4 different colors shooting under a single light source! Yes! after digesting all the useful info from you guys! I have decided to keep the Rubellite, since I do like the color and it looks ''red'' everywhere (except in the dark)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results