shape
carat
color
clarity

Spess opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/12/2009 9:07:32 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Interesting you say 'Fanta' is more orange than 'Mandarin.' Now I could be wrong, but I think the term 'Fanta,' and other 'fruity' inspired names arose from the fact that the word 'Mandarin' was trademarked by the people that owned the original Namibian material and the mine, and others from later discoveries are not really allowed to use that name. Now this is what I heard from a lapidary, so don't quote me on it. I'm not quite sure that 'Fanta' is necessarily meant to mean that the stone is more orange than 'Mandarin' or vice versa. I could be wrong though.
TL, I can only go by what I know (pantone colors *lol* )

From a art perspective, mandarin orange is redder, and Fanta orange is closer to true orange. But hell, coca cola owns Fanta and the resulting pantone colors as well.

So when I look at a spess, I use what I know.
emsmile.gif
(which also means I could be totally wrong *lol*)

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, I personally don''t care much for trademarked names that describe color, like paraiba, mandarin, fanta, etc. . . I like to go by the GIA gemset, and in my particular case, I think an O 4/5 to 4/6 probably is my ideal color in a spessartite.
9.gif
Some people prefer reddish orange or yellowish orange, or a darker tone, etc. . . I guess whatever color you go for, the important thing is to get a nice vivid saturation in one of the orange families.
2.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 10:40:59 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Ha, I personally don''t care much for trademarked names that describe color, like paraiba, mandarin, fanta, etc. . . I like to go by the GIA gemset, and in my particular case, I think an O 4/5 to 4/6 probably is my ideal color in a spessartite.
9.gif
Some people prefer reddish orange or yellowish orange, or a darker tone, etc. . . I guess whatever color you go for, the important thing is to get a nice vivid saturation in one of the orange families.
2.gif

amen! its just that in the beginning mandarin was the buzz word mostly it seemed for nigerian rough.....then along came the really really orange hue and all of a sudden Fanta was the buzz word.

the important thing is to find the orange that makes your own heart sizzle and soar!

mz

empress

Shiny_Rock
My understanding is "mandarin" refers to the Namibian material coming from the mine that holds the trademark. The colors vary from that mine and have over the years. The material tends not to have red or much brown, though.

Because there was a single mine which went out of production pretty quickly, "mandarin" spessartites were more expensive and then other locales began misusing the term for their material.

Fanta seems to be used for a specific color no matter where the stone comes from.

At least that''s my understanding of "the market."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results