shape
carat
color
clarity

Special Touches to a Custom Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I am looking for some input/opinion and suggestions of ways to put your own special touch on a setting. My boyfriend and I have decided on a stone (2.63 Royal Asscher) and the custom setting it will be placed in -- however, we both want to make sure it is completely unique to us, so we were thinking about putting a small stone on the INSIDE of the band, at the bottom of band where it touches the underside of your finger. We are considering either my birthstone, a sapphire or a ruby, where it would be a special connection that our hearts are touching all the time, and our souls are connected. I would do the same with his wedding band.......

Do any of you have this on your rings, and if so do you like it?! I think its very sweet but would love to hear from someone to make sure it didn''t damage the ring or cause problems we aren''t thinking of.

Also, do any of you have other ''special touches'' to your ring other than engravings on the inside?

Your thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated, thank you so much!!
face23.gif

Cath

Shiny_Rock
I like your idea, but why not put two stones -- your birthstone and his, next to each other? Then do the same on his wedding band. Otherwise, I would put his birthstone in your ring, and your birthstone in his ring. (assuming either of these options are feasible, of course.)

I think it is very sweet.
emlove.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
how about your initials in his and vice versa with your wedding date next to each...

i have the date we met...........b/c thats really the "REAL" date thats important

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, that is a very good idea! The only problem is that my birthday is in June, and the stone for that month is pearl, so i''m not sure how that would work! His is sapphire, so it would be great. I''ll have to find out if the pearl is doable -- and if it would look ok?!

thanks for the suggestion!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really like the stone on the inside of the ring idea....very sentimental and unique. i know stones can be put on the inside and as far as i know, there shouldn''t be any problems. find a well qualified jeweler, and you will have something very special. best of luck!!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
actually i was thinking no stones at all..........just the engraving. in my opinion --i may be in the minority, the stones inside/birthdate is sort of silly. what does your birthdate have to do with it? i like the idea of your initials or names or wedding date....

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
For me personally, I liked the idea of having something representing him on the ring. As many people would probably agree, the ring is almost always all about us girls in the way of style, etc. and i thought it would be unique and sweet to put a symbol of him in my ring. Of course, yes, the ring itself is a symbol of us together, but the idea of a ruby on the inside of each of our rings symbolizing our hearts and love for eachother seemed a personal way of saying that.

We do intend to get both rings engraved for sure, but that is something most everyone does, so we were trying to go ''outside of the box'' so to speak!
21.gif

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
You are correct, pearl is June''s birthstone, but so is alexandrite. Really great alexandrites color change, but most are a light purple. Perhaps you could use that instead of the pearl for your ring.
I think it''s a great idea to use his stone in yours and vice versa. A very sweet touch! I think another route you can consider if setting it on the inside becomes an issue is setting it as a surprise or accent like this:

gi_WFR-UHrPt_m.jpg

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i know i get it..........i am kind of a less is more person so to me it seems like overkill but maybe its b/c ive been married for a while .....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i really, really like the stone idea. i think it is a personal, sentimental and unique. just kicking ideas around here...maybe you could add a band of gold to the inside as well?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is part of the Indian jewelry tradition to let auspicious gems touch the skin of the wearer... a small ruby inside the band is supposed to be a talisman of good luck although each person has a different lucky gem by one tale or another
2.gif
. Some well known designers set small rubies like this. I''ve heard of small pink diamonds being used too (Michael Mann designs) on a more modern touch.

How will the ring look like ? Do you have the diamond at hand ? The Royal Asscher is amazing!
36.gif
Any chace for some pictures ?
20.gif

dtexan

Rough_Rock
Ana,

That''s right and Indian astrology says that only certain people can wear certain stones, meaning diamonds aren''t for everyone! *cringe*@thought.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about the stone for the month you met?

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
I WISH I had a picture of the setting or of the stone, but since it is a custom design of Mednikow in Atlanta, they are protective (rightly so) of their designs, and wouldn''t want me to take a photo of the setting and have it made elsewhere. I can attempt to describe it, but until I actually receive it, (*gasp!*) I don''t have any photos to share! I do have an excellent visual at all times, so here goes!!
face6.gif

It is a 2.63 Royal Asscher, so the setting had to be substantial enough to hold the size/weight of the stone, but I still wanted it to be somewhat ''dainty'' and feminine looking! It is pave with a split shaft, so the band splits into a "V" on both sides near the stone. What''s different about it is that it doesn''t meet in the middle exactly -- imagine a piece of platinum (with pave) flat on a table, and then curve it up so it comes to a "U" shape but never meets in the middle. The stone itself is held in place with a band of pave/platinum around it in a circle, which holds the two parts of the band together as well. The prongs have pave up the sides, but not on top. and they have a tiny split or claw effect. The stone is set pretty low and close to the finger so it doesn''t sit extremely high in the setting, which I like. We ordered the wedding band at the same time so it ''curves'' to the ring, and the diamond color and size match -- i don''t want to part with it later so i figured better to do it at the same time! I''ve never seen anything like it, and i cannot wait to share it with everyone on this site when i do get it!!

thanks for all the suggestions and ideas -- I am now certain I want to put a stone on the inside of each of our rings, it will just be a matter of discussing which is right for us, and continuing to listen to your ideas!

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 11:10:28 AM
Author: strmrdr
How about the stone for the month you met?
That is a fantastic idea also! That would be an emerald, which would be more beautiful and easier to do than pearl! thank you for the suggestion!

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 10:42
6.gif
4 AM
Author: PaulaW
You are correct, pearl is June''s birthstone, but so is alexandrite. Really great alexandrites color change, but most are a light purple. Perhaps you could use that instead of the pearl for your ring.
That seals it...my vote is for alexandrite and sapphire. I would put one stone in each ring...his stone in yours and vice versa. I originally thought both birthstones in each ring would be nice, but thinking about it more, I''d rather have just his.

P.S. I think I can imagine what your ring looks like from your description -- it sounds absolutely beautiful!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/25/2005 10:54:16 AM
Author: Avantika
Ana,

That''s right and Indian astrology says that only certain people can wear certain stones, meaning diamonds aren''t for everyone! *cringe*@thought.
Can''t say I would complain about the alternatives - those must be flawless, natural and large gemstones, no
9.gif
Some recipe! I''ve always been wondering if the original diamond promotion campaign wasn''t inspired by such traditions - they made one on order after all.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
As far as stone suggestions, I''d suggest the designated birthstone for the month in which you will be wed.

However, a practical note about stones on the inside of the ring. I looked at a simple gold band by Memoire when I was shopping for a wedding ring. I was interested in a band that had a small diamond on the inside of the ring. The band was ruined, however, when they tried to size it for me. Even though they were making the cut away from the stone, the band broke apart where the stone was.

If you may need to size your ring down the line, you may wish to ask what effect it could have on your inside stone.

Also, consider how you may plan to clean your rings. It is safe to put your diamond rings in an ultrasonic, but if the stone inside is more fragile, it may restrict how you can clean your rings.

royalasschergirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/25/2005 11:42:28 AM
Author: aljdewey
As far as stone suggestions, I''d suggest the designated birthstone for the month in which you will be wed.

However, a practical note about stones on the inside of the ring. I looked at a simple gold band by Memoire when I was shopping for a wedding ring. I was interested in a band that had a small diamond on the inside of the ring. The band was ruined, however, when they tried to size it for me. Even though they were making the cut away from the stone, the band broke apart where the stone was.

If you may need to size your ring down the line, you may wish to ask what effect it could have on your inside stone.

Also, consider how you may plan to clean your rings. It is safe to put your diamond rings in an ultrasonic, but if the stone inside is more fragile, it may restrict how you can clean your rings.
Thank you for that, that''s exactly what I wanted to find out too, if anyone has had issues. I will just have to determine the stone, then talk to my jeweler and find out if its too risky, etc. Perhaps some stones are stronger than others, which may affect the decision. Thanks for your input!!

aeli

Rough_Rock
I love the idea of a little stone inside the band that has meaning to you - my favorite suggestion so far is the stone of the month you wed. Such a unique and personal detail.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results