shape
carat
color
clarity

Speaking of gifts, what are your thoughts on gift cards?

How do you feel about gift cards?

• Love them!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Show results

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE gift cards but have found that the majority of people think a gift card is too impersonal. But for me, they''re the best. I love to shop when there are great sales and having a gift card makes it even better. My mom once gave me for Christmas a gift card to Ann Taylor for work clothes of about $150. In the 4 months that I had the card before using it all, I bought about 5 pairs of work pants, 7 shirts, and a few accessories. I don''t know if you are familiar with Ann Taylor but going in randomly to buy a gift and you can probably walk out with maybe one pair of pants and 2 shirts for the same amount.

Anyway, long example to say that I love them
face23.gif

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
I love gift cards too and I don''t think they are too impersonal. Impersonal would be getting a Visa or Amex gift card...you might as well just give cash!
But if someone takes the time to go to a store I love and get me a gift card I appreciate it 100%. At least they know where you like to shop, or they considered the store the card is from and decided that it''s your taste.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I voted for "show me the results" because while I don''t dislike giftcards, I generally don''t like people exactly how much I spend on a gift.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Most of the time I enjoy getting gift cards as presents. BUT, a few times they have been slightly torturous. One of my aunts makes about a million times more money than I do, and the few times she''s given me gift cards, they''ve been to stores where I can barely find an item that''s anywhere close to the amount the gift card was for. But other than that, I think they''re good.
1.gif

BriBee

Brilliant_Rock
Gwendolyn makes a good point. If you''re going to give a gift card, the amount should be proportionate to the average cost of items in the store. You wouldn''t give someone a $50 gift card to Tiffany or LV

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 4:13:51 PM
Author: Skippy123
Hi Fiery, last yr Lumpin started a thread on this subject https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gift-cards.72849/
I tend to give them out but I am bad at spending mine or forgetting where I put them. hehe
Thank you for that link! It looks like a lot of PSers like the gift card idea too.

I agree with the AMEX card as in I can see how it would be considered too impersonal.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love getting them!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t like to get them. I like to shop on line and find my own deals so gift cards just aren''t my thing. Even if it''s gift money, I feel horrible buying something unless it''s a great deal.

I give them because in my husband''s family cash is considered to be too impersonal. I''d perfer to give cash so the person can actually buy what they want, where they want it.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I neither love gift cards nor think they''re too impersonal.

I get a ton of gift cards because I''m a teacher, and I do love knowing that I can get Starbuck''s whenever I want and I won''t have to pay for it. (Everyone apparently thinks teachers live on caffeine and books. In my case, they''re right!)

On the other hand, I don''t like to give them as gifts because they do feel too impersonal to me. I''d much rather give someone a gift that really shows them I put some thought into it.

The best gift card I ever got was one to Chipotle for my bachelorette party. Hubby and I are Chipotle addicts, so it was pretty apt. And funny.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh--I just remembered.

There is one gift card that I HATE--the Visa gift card. I got one for my birthday and haven''t been able to use it because the cashier must run it for either the exact amount on the card, or a smaller amount, otherwise it is denied. Most stores tell me they don''t know how to use it, and the others try and fail.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, isn''t that easily fixed? Like if someone has a total amount of $45.45 and has $20 in cash to spend and put the rest on a credit card. I haven''t had any issue when I got one for a graduation gift years ago, but I think I spent it at a larger chain, Borders or Target, where they might be more used to splitting purchases.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
You know I guess I do love getting them but don''t really give them out too much.

Although for my brothers I have started to over the years just because I really don''t know how to shop for them anymore. Besides electronics which is pretty consistent, their taste in clothing changes every year so I never know what to get them. And with both in college, they like getting general gift cards so they can get whatever.

Another thing too that we''re doing that is sort of modern but helpful is an Amazon wish list. They begged me to put one up for myself because they have a hard time shopping for me (I''m the "no there''s nothing I really want" person which apparently is annoying LOL). Anyway, I put one together and they loved it. So now we''re all doing the same...if only I can get my mom to learn to turn on the computer so that she can put one together too
3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 4:41:25 PM
Author: Addy
Haven, isn''t that easily fixed? Like if someone has a total amount of $45.45 and has $20 in cash to spend and put the rest on a credit card. I haven''t had any issue when I got one for a graduation gift years ago, but I think I spent it at a larger chain, Borders or Target, where they might be more used to splitting purchases.
One would think, right? I''ve been told it''s different than a regular CC, and they don''t know how to run the gift card.

I tried it at Target, JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, and Barnes & Noble--no dice. When the cashier at B&N told me she didn''t know how to run it I asked her to just remove some of the items from the sale so I could buy them in two transactions. She was noticeably irritated, so I just said forget it and paid with my debit card, instead. (Hobby Lobby flat out told me they couldn''t take it at all.)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm mixed on them. I give them when I know it's something the recipient would love. My neice and nephews love their gift cards because it allows them to get things they want but couldn't because they just don't have that much cash. My father is hard to shop for and loves tools... but I have no idea what tools he wants or needs so a Sears gift card works well for him.

Sometimes though exchanging gift cards feels like exchanging cash. We did gift exchanges in my section at work for a few years. We had a low dollar limit so it wouldn't crunch anyone's budget, and for a while people were really creative in finding gifts for less than $6.00 for their co-workers. We exchanged ornaments, candy, bookmarks, miniature books... fun stuff. We ended it the year the majority of the gifts were cards for various coffee shops because we might as well just have exchanged cash at that point!

A note of caution on gift cards in this difficult economy: many stores refuse to honor gift cards if a chain is at a certain point in bancruptcy proceedings. I think the practice varies, and it depends in part on the terms of the bankruptcy. Gift cards seem to be a form of debt that the stores don't have to honor, and gift card holders are pretty low on the food chain of when it comes to debt obligations.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Haven

I wonder if you would be able to contact Visa with the gift card number, tell them the issues you''ve been having, and maybe they would send you a check with the amount? Granted, if its a small amount it may not be worth the trouble but its still a gift that you should get to enjoy.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Gift cards are great to give and receive. Everyone can get what they want with them and you don''t have to worry about getting the wrong thing/something they don''t like. Also, as mentioned people can go when there''s sales and get more bang for their buck.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love them. In fact, I just sent one today to a very special friend of mine.

Linda

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think they''re impersonal, but I have to be careful who I give them to. I would never give one to my mom because she hates them (she does think they''re impersonal). I like getting gift cards, personally. As a teacher, I tend to get a lot of gift cards to Dunkin'' Donuts.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
I love getting gift cards! It''s like 2 gifts in one, I get a gift AND I get to go shopping!

BUT, I don''t like giving them that often unless its someone I know will love it. I feel like the recipient will feel like I took the easy way out instead of selecting a thoughtful, personal gift for them.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they''re great and don''t think they''re necessarily impersonal.

BUT...

I would think twice about buying any these days, because stores that end up going out of business or filing for bankruptcy usually don''t honor them, and then the recipient ends up with nothing.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
I give them when it's someone that is hard to buy for and I LOVE to receive them! My favorites to receive are Starbucks, T.J. Maxx, Nordstrom, Dunkin Donuts and AMC Theater.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I don''t give them, but not because they are impersonal. If the company declares bankruptcy before the card gets used, it is basically worthless and in this economy, it is really iffy as to which companies will still be around. I would rather just give, and receive, cash.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love to receive them as long as they are well thought out (i.e., a store I like to shop at).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAVEN - I had a problem with a VISA gift card too. In fact, it was the $100 referal one that WF gave me. It was really annoying that NOBODY would take it. Finally, I found one single gas station that would accept it without asking for a PIN number.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/11/2008 7:40:03 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I don''t give them, but not because they are impersonal. If the company declares bankruptcy before the card gets used, it is basically worthless and in this economy, it is really iffy as to which companies will still be around. I would rather just give, and receive, cash.
I have some gift cards, including about 4 Nordstrom ones, and am wondering now if that company will go under so I better use them up fast! Their stock is down to $13 and one of my relatives who works there said their sales for their half-yearly have been terrible.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I love them!!

As a college student I rarely have any money to spend on fun things, and having a gift card for a non- school related store means I *must* get something awesome! It''s too easy to spend any cash I get during the holidays on books and other things for school.
14.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are great.
2.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love gift cards - especially because you can get what you want when it''s on sale after Christmas.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think gift cards are impersonal if you get a gift card that suits the tastes of the person receiving it. For example, I love getting gift cards from i-tunes. But my BF wouldn''t because he dosn''t have itunes (and he dosn''t want it). He would however, love a gift card from Home Depot.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results