shape
carat
color
clarity

SOS Save This Setting!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
So I was visiting my favorite jeweler yesterday and the most beautiful colored 1.4 carat minor oil emerald jumped out at me. I loved it flanked with the pear sapphires.
However, the setting is most unfortunate. My guys readily admit it did not turn out how they expected.
Simply put.
It’s jewelry malpractice.
So my question is, can I buy this piece for the stellar stones and somehow tweak the platinum setting.
I’m trying to rescue it!
The setting is lovely and substantial and beautiful quality up to the point of that awful peghead plopped in the center.
Does anyone have an inkling if this can be tweaked or would it need an entire reset from scratch? 8A3357EB-71A8-4194-912E-1BBE67359E40.jpeg 55D24DB4-5F1D-4307-AAC6-05F0EE0C9AF3.png B6DB6560-0B50-46B3-A33E-878B79061B8E.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Emeralds are fragile. They can chip when being removed from the setting for resizing etc. I’ll proceed with caution. If something happens to the stone during resetting, who will bear the cost?

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Emeralds are fragile. They can chip when being removed from the setting for resizing etc. I’ll proceed with caution. If something happens to the stone during resetting, who will bear the cost?

No. My guys would be responsible they are super great that way and I’m not too concerned about that because the truth is it really MUST be reset!
I’m just wondering if it’s a tweak or a total reset????

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can you check if they can add a panel/strip to hide the side of the peg head (both sides)? Then either add engraving or diamonds to the panels like the rest of the ring.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Can you check if they can add a panel/strip to hide the side of the peg head (both sides)? Then either add engraving or diamonds to the panels like the rest of the ring.

Ahhh. That is brilliant.
I’m checking…

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
While I’m checking do you guys even like this ring????
I liked it on my hand yesterday…..

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
913FC56F-1C62-47C8-983C-1E24D41AC482.jpeg
Like this?
it probably would change top down view
as well, maybe less so than below
35468369-F516-44ED-B1B6-4789F9396872.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
While I’m checking do you guys even like this ring????
I liked it on my hand yesterday…..

I’m neutral about it. But if u like it go for it.
I mean, there is always a diff between photo and irl right? Maybe irl it was glowing at you and not visible in pics. Maybe the stone just has a strong affinity with you (I’ve met some stones like that).

913FC56F-1C62-47C8-983C-1E24D41AC482.jpeg
Like this?
it probably would change top down view
as well, maybe less so than below
35468369-F516-44ED-B1B6-4789F9396872.jpeg

In awe of your PS skills as usual!! Luckily I didn’t actually try to scribble a strip over the photo using the photo edit function. You will so laugh at my effort :lol-2:

nutellakitty

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What is wrong with the setting? It does not look very bad to me.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
What is wrong with the setting? It does not look very bad to me.

Hi @nutellakitty
So it looks great from the top down.
But viewed from the side it’s just not cohesive.
Those lovely sloping shoulders with nice pave halo the sapphires.
Then an “off the rack” peg head is just plopped in there with weird air gaps in between.
It’s like two different ring styles smashed together!

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
I'm not a fan of the wide halo around the pears with no halo around the emerald. I feel like it's just too much bulk around the pears. So for me this would require more than just a tweaking to be something I'd enjoy wearing.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Just not a fan of how the sapphires have been set. When it's prongs I always want light to be able to reach the stone so it doesn't go too dark (unless the stone was medium to light to begin with). Who made the setting in this way? I would ask for a full refund.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
to be honest, it overall isn't my taste because I feel like the halo around the sapphires just looks like it doesn't fit (not to mention the weirdness of the peg head). I personally wouldn't want to buy it and then spend more re-working it.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Team.
I agree that it’s not worth the pain and expense of resetting so I’m passing.
I had not actually purchased.
So no harm no foul.
My search for the perfect colored gemstone rhr continues unabated.
Thank you All!!!!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
How about take them apart and use the sapphire for a pair of earrings?

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Ok Team.
I agree that it’s not worth the pain and expense of resetting so I’m passing.
I had not actually purchased.
So no harm no foul.
My search for the perfect colored gemstone rhr continues unabated.
Thank you All!!!!

How about getting a nice loose stone and set it into a setting you like? Most of my stuffs are custom made as I am very picky.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results