shape
carat
color
clarity

Some wise help needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chairmanyao

Rough_Rock
Need to know if this is a fair diamond price:

1.40 ct.; GIA Class 1; I1 Color; SI2, No Fluorescence; $10,500 cost ( includes setting in platinum, but diamond is sold loose & I don''t have to get the setting)

or

1.20 ct; GIA Class 1; I1 Color; SI, No Fluorescence; $8580 cost (also includes platinum setting)

Thanks!!!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sounds like a typical high end retail store price. A little on the high side.

Also how was the "Class 1" determined? GIA has basically abandonded these cut grades now with their newer system which is much better. To get a close estimate of the current GIA Cut grade you''ll need to attain the info of ...

Total depth
Table
Crown Angles
Paviloin angles
Star length
lower half length
girdle thickness
culet size
polish
symmetry

This info is listed on all the new GIA Reports although this info can also be attained from a Sarin which many manufacturers have. See if you can acquire this and you can get some good input here on the stats of these stones if you''re still interested in pursuing them.

Kind regards,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Or if the stones have been certified within the last 16 months you can put the cert # and ct wt in to this report checker and getv a cut grade acording to GIA
http://www.gia.edu/reportcheck/

You could then enter the the data from that report into HCA cut adviser (under tools this page on the top left).
Ny advice is keep the score under 2.5

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 7:43:14 PM
Author:Chairmanyao
Need to know if this is a fair diamond price:

1.40 ct.; GIA Class 1; I1 Color; SI2, No Fluorescence; $10,500 cost ( includes setting in platinum, but diamond is sold loose & I don''t have to get the setting)

or

1.20 ct; GIA Class 1; I1 Color; SI, No Fluorescence; $8580 cost (also includes platinum setting)

Thanks!!!

Three comments:

1) Whoever is offering these diamonds for sale is either living in the dark ages when it comes to cut grading, or perhaps is trying to pull a fast one. The GIA Lab never (as in "not ever") used the old cut class system to grade diamonds. This particular system of cut classes "I, II, III and IV" was included for a short period of time in GIA course material as a guide for students, but GIA pulled it from the course. Somebody correct me if I''m wrong, but I believe this occurred about 20 years ago so there''s no excuse for this seller''s ignorance.

2) The numeral designation for the color grade indicates that somebody is relying on a Gran Colorimeter for the color grade rather than a recognized lab report. Note: This "color grading machine" is only as accurate as the person calibrating it. If you decide to purchase a diamond from a seller who only relies on this machine, I would STRONGLY advise having the loose stone''s characteristics verified by an independent gemologist appraiser. Placing a numeral designation next to a color grade (as in "I1") is not a recognized practice in the diamond trade. If the GIA or AGS report says it''s an "I" then it''s sold at the price of an "I". If somebody wants to call it an "H5" and the GIA or AGS report says it''s an "I", then it should sell at the price of an "I".

3) The prices listed for these diamonds (even with a basic platinum setting) are greatly inflated.

Best of luck!
Bill Scherlag

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results