shape
carat
color
clarity

some white gold looks whiter than others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been shopping around for a ring setting and I''ve noticed that some white gold seems "WHITER" than others. At first I thought it was the lighting, but after moving it around to different parts of the store, it was definitely "whiter" than the rest.

What gives?

Stephanie

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
1. most white gold jewels have rhodium plating over the top of the gray colored white gold.
2. some white golds are pale yellow and that is really bad

rear the last section of the tutorial

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which metal or metal alloy would be whitest, but also not shiny?

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
The especially white setting i was referring to had milgrain edges around the diamond sides. Would that make it appear to be more white?

satriani

Rough_Rock
I recently came across some designers that are apparently starting to use a palladium/white gold alloy in order to get around the whole "plating" issue altogether. I just spoke with a Richard Krementz dealer who informed me that he will be offering this option with his pieces and they are supposedly going to call/brand the white gold "Everwhite". It''s suppose to give you a near platinum whiteness that lasts over the life of the jewelry since there isn''t any plating involved. I saw some pieces by another desinger, Jean-Francois Albert (I think), that were made with what was described as a palladium-alloy white gold with no plating. They looked very nice, but I certainly wouldn''t know just how they might look in the next 10-20 years. I will say that the pieces had a "warmer" look than platinum which looked a bit more greyish-white when put up next to these particular white gold pieces. Might be worth some research.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/8/2005 3:00:02 AM
Author: satriani
I recently came across some designers that are apparently starting to use a palladium/white gold alloy in order to get around the whole ''plating'' issue altogether. I just spoke with a Richard Krementz dealer who informed me that he will be offering this option with his pieces and they are supposedly going to call/brand the white gold ''Everwhite''. It''s suppose to give you a near platinum whiteness that lasts over the life of the jewelry since there isn''t any plating involved. I saw some pieces by another desinger, Jean-Francois Albert (I think), that were made with what was described as a palladium-alloy white gold with no plating. They looked very nice, but I certainly wouldn''t know just how they might look in the next 10-20 years. I will say that the pieces had a ''warmer'' look than platinum which looked a bit more greyish-white when put up next to these particular white gold pieces. Might be worth some research.
Marketing poppy cock
Gold is orange and palladium and nickel are gray - mix them and you get white gold that is gray.

Silver is the whitest metal, but tarnishes.
Aluminum is the next whitest from memory.

Low carat white gold is the whitests - we have some very soft 9K white golds - ok for chains - but not for rings

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2005 2:17:11 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

2. some white golds are pale yellow and that is really bad
Welcome to America. At least in my area, most jewelers have this kind of crappy white gold. In fact, if you ask them about actually WHITE white gold they look atyou and say "that doesn''t exist" and when prompted to answer why it was that way about 20 years ago they just play that off.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame:

20 years ago high nickle content white gold was common. This is the most white of the white golds.

Now it is rare. Most nickle white gold of today - where it still exist is low nickle alloy. None of the other white gold alloys are that white. Check out the articles I linked above for a fuller explaination.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results