shape
carat
color
clarity

Some opinions on Amethyst ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
hey all

i just had some updates from AJS
interestingly, they do not take extra photos of their gemstones

they have an office in tarzana (not sure where.. google maps first choice is in cali but maybe there are other places in the usa called tarzana) but its for a mail drop for checks
items must be returned directly to thailand

hmmm........

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, maybe this is a new policy from AJS and also with the return shipping too. Mark, thank you for the update. This definitely puts a damper on my future purchases with AJS.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
yeah
should i take a risk?

is it that big? i would think it makes a nice pendant in a simple setting for occasional wear =)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on your risk tolerance. Even with my favourite and trusted vendors, I never purchase based on just one picture unless it is of very low value. Are you willing to possibly spend extra $ and undergo hassle to return the stone to Thailand? If not, are you willing to put the stone aside as a “learning experience” stone? Of course, it could also turn out well and you are happy with the amethyst.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
None, my stone doesn''t have any windows.
I prefer the 0.92 ct spinel as the colour and cutting are both better than the smaller one. Do ask AJS to describe the colour. It''s a pretty red but not a pure red on my monitor.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 10:28:35 PM
Author: Chrono
None, my stone doesn''t have any windows.

I prefer the 0.92 ct spinel as the colour and cutting are both better than the smaller one. Do ask AJS to describe the colour. It''s a pretty red but not a pure red on my monitor.

they said that the 0.92ct is a stop light red.
well that s good to know
however the stone is too deep at 4mm+
oh wells. i have to give that up =p

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the full measurements of the stone? Depth in the mid 60s is normal for coloured gemstones.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 9:05:26 AM
What are the full measurements of the stone? Depth in the mid 60s is normal for coloured gemstones.

hi chrono
Size: 5.40 x 4.80 x 4.30 mm ( LxWxD )

i guess this stone is about 80% -90% depending on how on calculates it

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy smokes! 84% depth!!!
23.gif
Definitely not worth considering.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 10:15:26 AM
Holy smokes! 84% depth!!!
23.gif
Definitely not worth considering.

why?
with a deep depth, it means there might be windowing?
Rung said the the 0.92 spinel had no window and was a very nice stop light red.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I''m curious to know the answer myself, but I suspect it may have something to do with setting the stone? That most standard settings expect a certain depth and that if you go beyond it that the stone won''t fit? Or even if you have it custom-made that it would still look out of proportion even if the setting was made to fit the stone?

Of course, this is just my hypothesis. Looking forward to getting the real reasons.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Windowing is dependent on the last few angles of the pavilion, and as such even a deep stone can window if not cut to the correct angles. However, the window of deep stones can be closed with a minor re-cut. In this case, I am more concerned about extinction. Stone that are overly deep tend to have pretty bad extinction due to how light travels and bounces around within the gemstone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
I’d totally forgotten about Gary Dutton! An excellent choice for concave faceting that is both inexpensive and pretty with the ease of returns.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2009 3:10:27 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
There''s no shortage of amethyst in the US either.
here''s a huge concave cut 15ct from Dutton:
I prefer getting stones in the US, I would go nuts returning things overseas.

yup i actually saw that
good price at 12usd/ct

however i dont know what to do with a big oval
i dont think i would like the look of a big oval hanging from the neck ..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results