shape
carat
color
clarity

Some opinions needed on pear.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bew3994

Rough_Rock
Hey guys. Somewhat new to the forum. I am thinking of purchasing this diamond from Jared jewelry. I know I could possibly get a better price online but when dealing with fancy shapes I just don''t know if you should do that??? Also, feeling kinda ashamed at only getting a 1ct stone.... but just not sure if bigger might be better (ring size is 5.5) and will be set in a micro-pave criss cross band.

Anyways, here are the specs. What do you think?? I know it might look a bit deep but do you think that helps out the bow tie effect since we are going with a more elongated shape?

GIA
9.1 x 5.61 x 3.71
1.06 ct.
Depth: 66.1%
Table: 60%
Girdle: Thn to Very Thick, faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Very good
Symmetry: Good
SI2
D
Fluor: None
$6060

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
If you have seen this stone and like it, that''s all that really matters. Don''t rule out a fancy shape stone based on numbers alone. Yes, this stone is slightly deep, yes the table is a little large, but if the outline is pleasing, you''ve really won half the battle right there.

The price is high for a stone with the same specs. I know purchasing on the net can be tedious when it comes to pears, but it would be worth the savings IMO. Did you use the search feature at the top of this page to see what is available?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Just for comparison sake:

http://www.diamond.com/diamond_details.asp?T1=129574&sourceid=qIZmQ-Ck7gluAk-UPse@0038786110&GEN5=DCAFFPRGAPGENBNR&dept_id=3=&md_id=3=

or

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=4944840&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

or

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00165673

I used the search located above and looked for l/w ratio similar to what you have posted. There are many others to compare as well, but I thought seeing these might help as far as cost comparison.

bew3994

Rough_Rock
Hey DiamondLil,

Thanks for the feedback. Wow, can''t believe the price difference! What do you think about paying a bit more at the chains for cleaning, maintenance, warranty (free replacing of diamond if lost or damaged)?? Not sure if it is worth it to do this?

bew3994

Rough_Rock
OK, you have me convinced!! But I just had the diamond put in its setting today at Jared''s! How should I go back in and tell them I want the ring but have found a different center stone???

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Paying more for a *warranty* like that at the store is a scam, IMO.
20.gif
I have insurance on my ring/diamond for full replacement. No worries whether the stone falls out, it gets stollen, or I lose the entire ring accidentally.

I clean my own rings several times a week, but just about any reputable jeweler will clean your rings for free if you ask.

I took my own diamond (also a pear -- seen in my avatar) to Quest in VA who made my wedding set custom. They guarantee their work (including diamonds they provide for the setting) for life as long as you bring your ring in every 6 months for a checkup. There is no extra charge for that, just their excellent policy. And their prices are very reasonable.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 12:19:25 PM
Author: bew3994
OK, you have me convinced!! But I just had the diamond put in its setting today at Jared''s! How should I go back in and tell them I want the ring but have found a different center stone???

Well, I just loked on Jared''s website which says:

Q: What is Jared return and refund policy?
A: You may exchange or return your purchase within 30 days. Custom designed merchandise is not returnable.

Do you absolutely have to have the setting from Jared? Do you have a picture of what the ring looks like?

If it were me, I''d find the diamond you want from one of the great on-line vendors that participate here. I''d try to get my setting through them as well for convenience sake. If they don''t have what you are looking for and/or cannot custom make it, you have many options for having what you want custom made, and it will not necessarily cost you any more to have it done. In some cases, it could be a lot less $$.

If you absolutely love the setting from Jared, I''m sure they would take a customer''s diamond and set it in their setting for you. I would not tell them you purchased the diamond on the internet though since I''ve heard that some jewelers get testy about it. You''d be better off just saying you inherited it, know what I mean?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto to everything Diamondlil said - the warranty stores try to sell you is a load of BS...you''ll never see anyone who has ever been able to collect on that. That''s what insurance is for anyway.
2.gif
I also echo DL''s sentiments on seeing the pear you want...numbers don''t tell the whole story at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results