shape
carat
color
clarity

Some of my loose gemstones - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some of the loose gemstones that I have purchased but have not posted here. It was a long weekend and I managed to find some time to do some photo taking when my hubby took my older boy fishing and while my younger boy was sleeping. I have not had the chance to finish taking all the pictures, so I am just posting whatever pictures I''ve got -- that''s why I''m calling it Part 1. There''s be Part 2 and 3 etc. whenever I take more pictures. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Here are my spinels. Two are flame spinels, though the orangey undertone is more obvious in the square one. The oval one is redder. The other oval is a purplish red. The square is slightly over 1 ct and the other two ovals are more than 3 carats (I can''t remember the exact carat weight and I am too lazy to look up the paper work.)

SSSpinels1.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
My heart shaped rubellite. It is a purplish red colour, it is untreated and holds its colour very well in all lighting.

SSRubellite1.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
My pair of cushion concave cut Namibian mandarin spessartites by Richard Homer. I couldn''t quite capture the concave faceting on the picture. Each cushion is slightly over 1 ct.

SSSpessConcave.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
A 2.63ct 8.3mm Tanga Garnet cut by Barry. I love the dark pink colour on this. I am toying with the idea of a rose gold Sally lotus setting for this.

SSTangaGarnet1.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS- your stones are all lovely. I especially swoon over concave cuts!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
my heart melts for one of RH''s concaves. I have to save just a weee little longer for one of his stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are lovely. It''s so rare to see true Namibian spessartites. Are the pictures true to color on those?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
You have 2 Richard Homer Mandarin Garnets???? You are making mine feel very lonley
7.gif

But really, beautiful collection.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 10:36:37 PM
Author:simplysplendid
Here are some of the loose gemstones that I have purchased but have not posted here. It was a long weekend and I managed to find some time to do some photo taking when my hubby took my older boy fishing and while my younger boy was sleeping. I have not had the chance to finish taking all the pictures, so I am just posting whatever pictures I''ve got -- that''s why I''m calling it Part 1. There''s be Part 2 and 3 etc. whenever I take more pictures. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Here are my spinels. Two are flame spinels, though the orangey undertone is more obvious in the square one. The oval one is redder. The other oval is a purplish red. The square is slightly over 1 ct and the other two ovals are more than 3 carats (I can''t remember the exact carat weight and I am too lazy to look up the paper work.)
I just adore the orangey square spinel. Count me in if you ever decide to part with it.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 10:45:51 PM
Author: simplysplendid
My pair of cushion concave cut Namibian mandarin spessartites by Richard Homer. I couldn''t quite capture the concave faceting on the picture. Each cushion is slightly over 1 ct.
And these are TDF!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2009 10:48:06 PM
A 2.63ct 8.3mm Tanga Garnet cut by Barry. I love the dark pink colour on this. I am toying with the idea of a rose gold Sally lotus setting for this.
Well never in my PS history have I been so enamoured with 3 stones all in the same thread, but that Tanga garnet is lovely. I ran into a tanga garnet in S/bucks recently. Discovered a whole new love!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely collection!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Nice collection, especially that orangy spinel and those spessartites - the yellowest (I know that''s not a word) I''ve ever seen!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

TL and Mr Ma Re, the colour on my picture is not quite close to the actual colour. It is more orangey in real life. I am attaching Richard''s site picture. The colour on his picture is closer to the colour of the cushion spess in real life, just that the colour in real life is a tiny wee bit more orangey.

SSS6176ManSpessMPr.jpg

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a vendor pic of the oval flame spinel from Barbara, the previous site owner of acstones.com.

SSFlamespinel1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many lovely stones; my favourite is the cushion flame spinel. The RH spessartites are no slouch either if they look like his picture.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous collection! My fav is the square flame spinel :)

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
Very nice stones!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2009 6:41:37 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

TL and Mr Ma Re, the colour on my picture is not quite close to the actual colour. It is more orangey in real life. I am attaching Richard's site picture. The colour on his picture is closer to the colour of the cushion spess in real life, just that the colour in real life is a tiny wee bit more orangey.

SimplySplendid,
Thanks for the vendor photo. Very pretty Namibians!! Are you planning on making earrings?

How large is the rubellite? That's a very nice stone as well!!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, princess, stepcutnut, thank you very much..

TL, I intend to set the pair of spess as earrings. However, I find them a little small, so I am stumped on the design idea. It seems too ordinary to just halo it..

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
TL, I forgot to respond about my rubellite in my earlier post. It is 3.30 ct and measures slightly over 9mm across..

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stones! I especially love the spess pair. If they were mine, I would make them into dangles of some sort; maybe with a redder spess accent pair. They look like they were made to move.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
and where is the blue-green square cushion from barry???
31.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 10:00:42 AM

TL, I intend to set the pair of spess as earrings. However, I find them a little small, so I am stumped on the design idea. It seems too ordinary to just halo it..
I don''t know, but having seen one of Wink''s videos of a concave spess, I suspect that you see them at their best when they are moving. I would consider making them dangle in some way. Earring charms to hang on huggies for instance.

I''m just running out the door now (should have been gone an hour ago!), but I will ponder your beautiful spessartites all day!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Kismet..

Karee, I haven''t had the chance to finish taking all the pictures. Will try to do so and add Part 2 and perhaps a Barry special thread.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 11:31:30 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 8/12/2009 10:00:42 AM

I don''t know, but having seen one of Wink''s videos of a concave spess, I suspect that you see them at their best when they are moving. I would consider making them dangle in some way. Earring charms to hang on huggies for instance.

I''m just running out the door now (should have been gone an hour ago!), but I will ponder your beautiful spessartites all day!
Hi Gailey, thanks for your suggestion, I think you may be right that some movement will be flattering for the pair of cushion spess. I will be thinking along the lines of danglies then..

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my earring stones are rather small; 6 mm or 7 mm each and I find that having them set as dangles (leverbacks) to give added movement helps them stand out a little more.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Very nice additions ss! I particularly like the square/cushion flame spinel!
30.gif

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
simply you have been holding out on us..shame on you
9.gif
..when we will see part two...that tanga garnet is nice..well all of them are great..i

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results