shape
carat
color
clarity

Some hard facts about hunger..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I just read last week''s local newspaper (yes, I am that behind time!)..

-Every 5 sec a child dies due to hunger
-10.9 million children under 5 years old die in developing countries every year
-Malnutrition and hunger-related diseases cause 60% of these deaths.
-146million childred under 5 years old are under weight. 121 million of them live in poor, food deficit countries
-About 684,000 child deaths each year can be prevented by giving them Vit A and Zinc
-Up to 17million babies are born underweight each year due to inadequate nutrition before and during pregnancy

You can play a wordgame at www.freerice.com. For every correct answer, the sponsors will donate 20grains of rice to the United Nations World Food Program.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Having just "donated" two bowls of rice, I''m wondering who the heck wrote this ... some of those definitions are, well, tangential to say the least.

P.S. China Mieville, a fantastic writer of speculative fiction, has a story about the kind of mentality that this fosters. I don''t necessarily agree with its message, but it''s an interesting perspective ....An End to Hunger

P.P.S. - Thank you for raising awareness concerning a very serious issue! Didn''t want any of my nitpickery above to be taken as disagreeing with the basic point.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results