carat
color
clarity

Some AVC's came to visit me today!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1347672990|3268418 said:
Maybe it would be easier to focus just on the AVR for now and decide how you want to set it. By then maybe you'd know whether or not you want to sell the RB or maybe it would just sell. I know there is talk of the Van C perhaps not being made in the future the way it is today but there seem to be so many variables that it's difficult to make a firm decision. Maybe breaking it down into smaller parts would be easier than trying to put the whole picture together at this point in time. Just a thought as this makes my head swim - can't imagine what it's doing to yours!

You are totally right...every single word. I don't know why I think I have to plan out all the jewelry for the rest of my life just because I am switching my round diamond for another round diamond! :lol: Unlimited money would make this a lot easier!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Ooo la la! I love those stones and really appreciate your review and pictures.

What do you think of the Maltese cross on the (gorgeous) rectangular one? They look so pronounced on the elongated cushions in the GOG photos but I can't get a sense of how they look in person.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1347676054|3268439 said:

What do you think of the Maltese cross on the (gorgeous) rectangular one? They look so pronounced on the elongated cushions in the GOG photos but I can't get a sense of how they look in person.

They are just so tiny in person! The facets can be seen, but all the facets look chunky to me. I think it might take a 5 ct. stone for me to think the maltese cross part was too pronounced!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347677029|3268446 said:
Rosebloom|1347676054|3268439 said:

They are just so tiny in person! The facets can be seen, but all the facets look chunky to me. I think it might take a 5 ct. stone for me to think the maltese cross part was too pronounced!

Very good to know. Thank you!!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Terrific photos, DS! I'm following your journey avidly and can't wait to see what you end up with!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful way to spend your time this weekend-if those two gorgeous stones were at my house I wouldn't ever leave :naughty:
I love the photoshopped pic of the AVC in the VanC setting, they really seem to go together. And dare I say if you went with the lower color AVC I think it would look delightful in YG. Then you could keep your current MRB in plat and have the second set in YG. Something to consider.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kim..thank you!

woofmama....I have thought about the fact that the L stone would look great in yg or rose gold. The ring is beautiful in yg, no doubt. I have conflicting feelings, though, because I really love the ring in platinum, yet it is hard to know how I'd feel about an L in platinum. Lots of hard decisions!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS, you are a classic loving woman - no doubt about that! You appreciate the quality and design aspects and the finite details about the settings, as much or more than others - I love that about you!!! Such a good eye for things :))

Here's a crazy thought that just hit me ... Since the AVC/AVR is out of your normal zone, as is the VC band (or variation thereof....) AND you will still have the plat MRB Vatche, would you entertain the notion of going for a YG or RG band? Really accenting the contrast of modern and vintage looks??

Just a thought..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi, you and woofmama had the same idea! I have thought about that a lot. Rose gold, mainly. But, I am feeling like this setting is the most beautiful in platinum, so that is the way I am leaning. I definitely have my mind on rose gold if I should go with a larger cushion for a RHR, though.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for posting pictures and your reviews! This was very helpful to me to see the IRL perspective. :))

...but I do admit im kinda bummed! I have seen so many completed rings on the AVC/AVR thread as well as many of Jon's videos of stones in the J/K/L range which to me looked pretty white face up. I thought i could stretch the budget and get a little bigger of a stone -- but after seeing your pics i think IRL the L is more tinted than *i* expected and i guess i'll have to maybe make H/I my target range. ;(

I do hope you keep one of these beauties though!!! Thanks again for sharing :)

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for posting!

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! What a hard decision to make, both stones are absolutely gorgeous! :love:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I would love to be at your house playing today! :appl: I haven't had a chance to catch up on the AVR thread yet. so I'm way behind the pack, so I don't have an opinion yet, but ooooooohh, how gorgeous are these stones?!! :love:

I think that I read in another thread not too long ago that Jon wasn't cutting more AVC's until some of the current stock moved? You had mentioned that your preference is for the rectangular/oval AVC over the square, but the size wasn't quite right....would Jon be willing to cut some specific to your needs?

Ok, off to re-read the AVR thread! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoveLikeCrazy|1347718194|3268574 said:
Thank you so much for posting pictures and your reviews! This was very helpful to me to see the IRL perspective. :))

...but I do admit im kinda bummed! I have seen so many completed rings on the AVC/AVR thread as well as many of Jon's videos of stones in the J/K/L range which to me looked pretty white face up. I thought i could stretch the budget and get a little bigger of a stone -- but after seeing your pics i think IRL the L is more tinted than *i* expected and i guess i'll have to maybe make H/I my target range. ;(

They really do face up fairly white. They are better than rb's of lower color because the facets are fatter. You know how crushed ice cushions look in fancy yellow? They do that faceting to make the stone look more yellow. So apparently the more facets, the more the color shows. These really do not show much color at all. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the two colors if I didn't know, but the L is ever so slightly whiter than the M. Remember that the one photo that showed so much tint was not how they look in real life. I know I'd be totally thrilled with a J in an AVC and likely K. I am considering this L. But I do not like color as much in the AVR's. I will consider I but prefer H. I like my G color in a modern rb with the smaller facets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1347722492|3268604 said:
Oh, I would love to be at your house playing today! :appl: I haven't had a chance to catch up on the AVR thread yet. so I'm way behind the pack, so I don't have an opinion yet, but ooooooohh, how gorgeous are these stones?!! :love:

I think that I read in another thread not too long ago that Jon wasn't cutting more AVC's until some of the current stock moved? You had mentioned that your preference is for the rectangular/oval AVC over the square, but the size wasn't quite right....would Jon be willing to cut some specific to your needs?

Yes, they really are beautiful, Christina! I am so glad I decided to look at them in person to determine what I like! I didn't know that about the AVC stock. Let me clarify something. I do like the square one best for the Van C setting. But I'd love a big ol' oval/rectangular AVC like the other one to put in a halo and wear as a RHR or something! That probably can't realistically happen due to the expense, but he does have one now that I'd be interested in! The thing is, I have to decide whether to put the AVR into the Van C setting or get a square cushion to put in it. And if I get the square cushion, then that is the end of my diamond purchasing (other than maybe studs).

Thanks Sky and two little birds!

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347722704|3268609 said:

They really do face up fairly white. They are better than rb's of lower color because the facets are fatter. You know how crushed ice cushions look in fancy yellow? They do that faceting to make the stone look more yellow. So apparently the more facets, the more the color shows. These really do not show much color at all. I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference in the two colors if I didn't know, but the L is ever so slightly whiter than the M. Remember that the one photo that showed so much tint was not how they look in real life. I know I'd be totally thrilled with a J in an AVC and likely K. I am considering this L. But I do not like color as much in the AVR's. I will consider I but prefer H. I like my G color in a modern rb with the smaller facets.

DS- I totally understand where you are coming from. I kind of felt the same way with the AVR's. I tend to think of them in the same way I do MRBs color wise. (That being said I did seriously consider an M AVR for my ering. But I'm glad I went the way I did as I think don't like to mix up the true old rounds and the new ones for the most part. More on that Monday or so).

I do agree if you go with a VC, then the one you are considering looks great in platinum.

I'll promise to post Monday should the ring arrive and I hope y'all will all come help me out with evaluating it!

I would also have a little niggle of caution towards not getting rid of your MRB if you can. I like the idea of one of each. A fine example of 2 completely different styles. I'd miss my MRB if I had to get rid of it. Thankfully, hubs and I are both very sentimental about my ering and so that's not an issue.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I may be completely wrong about not cutting new AVC's. I think I remember reading it this past spring, so if I am correct, then things may have changed now anyway. I just finished reading up on your AVR thread and changed my vote to something similar to ksmoms set! :love: I think that the longer AVC would look fantastic set like this. I think it would look beautiful with both your legacy band and with a more ornate VanC wedding band. You would have lots of stacking options! :love:

vcm_s_kf_repr_443x394.jpg

CDCsparkles

Shiny_Rock
I really like the square shaped one in the VC!
I think the longer one would make a great solitaire in a setting similar to the one you posted in the other thread as a possible new option.
So many great choices to be made:)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347723149|3268611 said:
Christina...|1347722492|3268604 said:

Yes, they really are beautiful, Christina! I am so glad I decided to look at them in person to determine what I like! I didn't know that about the AVC stock. Let me clarify something. I do like the square one best for the Van C setting. But I'd love a big ol' oval/rectangular AVC like the other one to put in a halo and wear as a RHR or something! That probably can't realistically happen due to the expense, but he does have one now that I'd be interested in! The thing is, I have to decide whether to put the AVR into the Van C setting or get a square cushion to put in it. And if I get the square cushion, then that is the end of my diamond purchasing (other than maybe studs).

Thanks Sky and two little birds!

So, this sounds as though you've decided to to with the VanC? I would agree then that the square cushion would be a better choice. But if your mind isn't made up and you're still considering a more simple setting, then I think any of your stone choices so far would work well in a setting similar to the sophie mentioned in the AVR thread and be much more versatile. So many choices, but they are all beautiful and it's hard to imagine that you would be disappointed in any of them. I do think though, that if this is your forever and ever setting, that you may appreciate the options that a more simple solitaire offers. The Van C is incredibly beautiful but as you're already noticing it greatly reduces your choices for a band and you will likely only be able to wear it a couple of different ways. You've also mentioned in the past that you would love to have a great stack... :naughty:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a fan of elongated cushions, but am a bit apprehensive about the elongated AVC in regards to the culet. Obviously it is more triangular so I'm wondering how you like the culet? I realize that if I had one on my finger, there would not be the black background of the case in your photo, so it would not be as pronounced as it is in your close-up picture. I'm fine with an open culet, but just don't want my eyes immediately drawn to the rectangle shape of it.

Also, if I do decide to sell my 5 stone band, I would be looking at a smaller stone than what you have currently. Did GOG send them to you to view with a deposit or did you have to pay outright for them?

GirlyGirl

Shiny_Rock
What a fun play date!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bastetcat|1347725707|3268636 said:
diamondseeker2006|1347722704|3268609 said:

DS- I totally understand where you are coming from. I kind of felt the same way with the AVR's. I tend to think of them in the same way I do MRBs color wise. (That being said I did seriously consider an M AVR for my ering. But I'm glad I went the way I did as I think don't like to mix up the true old rounds and the new ones for the most part. More on that Monday or so).

I do agree if you go with a VC, then the one you are considering looks great in platinum.

I'll promise to post Monday should the ring arrive and I hope y'all will all come help me out with evaluating it!

I would also have a little niggle of caution towards not getting rid of your MRB if you can. I like the idea of one of each. A fine example of 2 completely different styles. I'd miss my MRB if I had to get rid of it. Thankfully, hubs and I are both very sentimental about my ering and so that's not an issue.

Good, we'll be watching for your ring review!!!

I know, I am a little worried about getting rid of my MRB because I finally have it in the right setting and it is really beautiful. That is a tough decision because I can't justify having 3 diamond rings, so I have to choose between the AVC or keeping this ring. It is not my original, though. This one was for an anniversary. I still have my original 1 ct. e-ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1347729545|3268675 said:
So, this sounds as though you've decided to to with the VanC? I would agree then that the square cushion would be a better choice. But if your mind isn't made up and you're still considering a more simple setting, then I think any of your stone choices so far would work well in a setting similar to the sophie mentioned in the AVR thread and be much more versatile. So many choices, but they are all beautiful and it's hard to imagine that you would be disappointed in any of them. I do think though, that if this is your forever and ever setting, that you may appreciate the options that a more simple solitaire offers. The Van C is incredibly beautiful but as you're already noticing it greatly reduces your choices for a band and you will likely only be able to wear it a couple of different ways. You've also mentioned in the past that you would love to have a great stack... :naughty:

Christina, I know this is crazy and confusing when you were not here for the beginning of the other thread, but what happened was that I wasn't sure I wanted to put the AVR in the Van C setting, so I decided to look at the AVC's. I think a square cushion would look good in that setting. But the AVR will still be my primary e-ring. I just have to decide whether to keep my 1.58 rb or whether to sell it and buy an AVC. I plan to end up with 2 rings, but I am just not sure which two it will be yet! I plan to choose the AVR first.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
orbaya|1347730180|3268683 said:
I'm a fan of elongated cushions, but am a bit apprehensive about the elongated AVC in regards to the culet. Obviously it is more triangular so I'm wondering how you like the culet? I realize that if I had one on my finger, there would not be the black background of the case in your photo, so it would not be as pronounced as it is in your close-up picture. I'm fine with an open culet, but just don't want my eyes immediately drawn to the rectangle shape of it.

Also, if I do decide to sell my 5 stone band, I would be looking at a smaller stone than what you have currently. Did GOG send them to you to view with a deposit or did you have to pay outright for them?

That M stone is perfection to me as far as cut goes. I was worried in the original picture that the culet might be too large, but it is so much smaller than it looks in the picture! In fact, on the stones with small culets, you can hardly even see them with your eyes! So I know now to go for the ones that seem to have the larger culet. It doesn't look obvious except against that black background. The only downside to the M stone is that it is so pretty that I wish it was larger!

Right now I have a credit with GOG that covers most of these two stones and the rest is on a credit card. With the original two stones I looked at 6 years ago, we paid for both with CC, sent them back and paid by wire for the one we chose. So you do have to pay in full for stones to be sent out. Plus I paid for shipping both ways at $130 total. I prefer using their label to send back.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347743659|3268765 said:
Christina...|1347729545|3268675 said:

Christina, I know this is crazy and confusing when you were not here for the beginning of the other thread, but what happened was that I wasn't sure I wanted to put the AVR in the Van C setting, so I decided to look at the AVC's. I think a square cushion would look good in that setting. But the AVR will still be my primary e-ring. I just have to decide whether to keep my 1.58 rb or whether to sell it and buy an AVC. I plan to end up with 2 rings, but I am just not sure which two it will be yet! I plan to choose the AVR first.

Oh! :lol: At one point while I was reading the AVR thread I got that impression but then I wasn't so sure. Thank you for clarifying. Not to confuse things further but have you considered Mc2? Not as ornate as the VC but still lend themselves well to an old cut and I thought several would look nice with your legacy band. Just thought I'd toss it out there, because you don't have enough to consider already. ;))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina, I have looked at MC2 and they do have some beautiful rings! I am definitely open to design ideas, but if I have a custom ring made, I would use Victor Canera. My sapphire earrings with the tiny halos are so perfect that I really trust Victor to make anything. (You know I feel that way about Mike, also, but the convenience factor of Victor being in the US just makes it easier.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CDCsparkles|1347727730|3268652 said:
I really like the square shaped one in the VC!
I think the longer one would make a great solitaire in a setting similar to the one you posted in the other thread as a possible new option.
So many great choices to be made:)

Ooops, missed this before! Yes, I definitely agree that the squarish one looks best in the VanC setting! I do want that setting so I am trying to figure out what stone to put in it!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Christina...|1347726509|3268642 said:
I may be completely wrong about not cutting new AVC's. I think I remember reading it this past spring, so if I am correct, then things may have changed now anyway. I just finished reading up on your AVR thread and changed my vote to something similar to ksmoms set! :love: I think that the longer AVC would look fantastic set like this. I think it would look beautiful with both your legacy band and with a more ornate VanC wedding band. You would have lots of stacking options! :love:

Christina, do you know what setting that is (the AVC)??

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
LoveLikeCrazy said:
Christina...|1347726509|3268642 said:

Christina, do you know what setting that is (the AVC)??

I'm not Christina but that is Pixleys set. It's an actual antique diamond in a custom solitaire made by her jeweler. The band is by Singlestone.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pixleys-wedding-set-is-all-done-single-stone-w-band-cushion-solitaire.92376/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pixleys-wedding-set-is-all-done-single-stone-w-band-cushion-solitaire.92376/[/URL]
One of my favorite sets on PS.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Pricescope has made me love old cuts, and that beautiful "Poppy" ring tipped me over the edge. I now crave a cushion. So I must say a big thank you to diamondseeker for posting these lovelies. :love: :appl:

I really like the more square one, the L.
It is interesting to see the colour show so much in the close ups, because they look creamy white from further away. I also prefer to see a big culet, but do not like the rectangular culet. Just my own odd tastes.

These warmer stones look great in platinum, from what I've seen here on PS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results