shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaires for colored stones?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
How do you feel about seeing colored stones in solitaire settings? Boring? Cheap? Especially for non-round stones?

I''d love to see some handshots or pictures. I''m also talking about non-engagement or right hand rings.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I like them a lot.

Of course I have seen (and personally own, from back in my clueless noob days) quite a few that are both boring AND cheap, but that is because the stones themselves are not good at all.

You really need a nice stone to carry a solitaire setting, IMO, but if you do happen to have one, I like to give it the spotlight all to itself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Mochi’s simple green gold bezel for her chrysoberyl. It’s not boring at all. With the right design, a solitaire coloured stone speaks of elegance. Personally, for a solitaire setting, the coloured stone needs to be of eye catching colour and able to hold its own size wise as well.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to think of something nice for my newest spinel from Tan.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think solitaire gem stone rings can be lovely. I have some but I guess how many I have depends on what you mean by solitaire setting... all metal or just melee sized accent stones?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Blue sapphire in split shank setting a la Chrono.

kiz-sapphring1.jpg

Dark green chrysoberyl in filigree setting.

kiz-chrysringin.jpg

Demantoid in antique setting (from Fay Cullen).

kizdemantoid.jpg

Aquamarine cab in 22k gold.

kiz-aquaring3.jpg

I don''t have a separate picture of this ring but on my pinky is an aquamarine in an antique filigree setting.

kiz-bluerings.jpg

Would this be considered a solitaire? Vanadium chrysoberyl in rose gold.

kiz-asring1.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think it can be very eye catching. I like a larger stone or dynamite color or sparkle to make it special.

Annette

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Those are beautiful, Kissy. But I''m thinking about an unadorned solitaire.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Uppy,
How large is your stone?
What shape?
Here is one of mine. JKT made this. The stone is large and deep, so I had to have something substantial enough to hold it.
Size 6, and I specifically wanted a tubular shank. She has a lot of nice examples on her site.
-Mel

aquamm4.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m looking at something like the Grace split prong solitaire from BGD or something similiar.

1.82 orangy pink tanzanian spinel..JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
don''t know why that won''t show up?

1.82 orangy pink tanzanian spinel2.JPG

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 1:00:42 PM
Author:Uppy
How do you feel about seeing colored stones in solitaire settings? Boring? Cheap? Especially for non-round stones?

I''d love to see some handshots or pictures. I''m also talking about non-engagement or right hand rings.

I love solitaire settings for coloured stones, whether it is an engagement ring or a RHR. The stone definitely needs to be able to shine on its own though! I don''t like classic Tiffany-style solitaire settings for them, but I do like solitaires with a bit of something-something. I know the Swan has a couple surprise stones, but I love that one for a CS. The Royal Crown would look great too I think, or something like BGD''s Grace. I also adore a CS in a plain full bezel or half-bezel (like WF''s Endless Love or something).

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Did you see the LM on JBEG for ~$900 ish? It was on hold FOREVER!!!!
Finally, today when I looked, it was marked sold. That is a pretty setting. It was like a 4 though, and I wear a 6, so it would have had to have a lot added.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
My little spinel is smaller than yours, but here''s a shot of a semi-bezel if you are looking for something with simple lines, but it not light weight... it''s either a stuller or an adwar setting I think.

I like it because the stone is somewhat protected, so I''m comfortable wearing it as an everyday RHR. I have several colored solitaires (as you know - LOL) but I usually wear them as eRings.

pink spinel1.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s the Jen setting by JbEG. How do you think my stone would look in it?

Jen by JbEG.JPG

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

I think that stone would probably look good in almost anything - LOL, but for me (if that''s what you are asking) the setting would look too delicate to wear alone as a RHR, but that''s just me..

If it were mine (and I wish it was) and I wanted that setting, I''d wear it as an engagement ring with my wedding band. I personally prefer more "metal" around my smaller stones for RHRs. I''m just not a "delicate" kinda girl I guess.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 1:00:42 PM
Author:Uppy

you''re kidding right?

i prefer them as the star of their own show.

mz

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I LOVE colored stone solitaires, I think it''s a wonderful way to show off a stone. Here''s a really bad picture of an amethyst solitaire that I wear often, usually on my right hand. It''s hard to take a pic with my left hand, though.

It''s a big stone 11 x 14 mm, so don''t be afraid of BIG either. I''m an average size person, with ring size seven and I love the look of a big solitaire.
30.gif

I figure if it''s balanced with fingernails, a big stone looks pretty dramatic. IMHO anyway . . .

amsolitaire321.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Here's a smaller "stone" (actually a hunk of plastic, but that's on this thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-stone-do-i-need.143386/), around 8mm.

Also good for drama, because the stone is very vivid, so it can stand alone. If it was "real" I would do the band in a yellow gold. I think the important thing about a color solitaire is that the stone color and ring color work well together.

For your spinel, I think a simple prong solitaire would be awesome!
36.gif
I'm jealous, because that's very close to my bubble gum ring project! Please post pics when it's done!

For small stones (4-5mm), people are wearing those stacker rings everywhere, and some seem to be solitaires.

gumsolitaire.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think your spinel would look fantastic set E/W with a split shank personally. It is a lovely color uppy!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Uppy, I nearly bid on that exact same stone! Had it saved but decided one gemstone purchase was enough lately. Can''t wait to see your RL photos! Looks lovely and "glowy".

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi there! Are you referring to something really simple like this here? I reused this solitaire ring mount that used to hold a diamond. It is set with my 6.8mm Burma spinel. I do think its nice in a way, but it is just not me:) it just appear mm..too delicate for me. So I had the spinel mounted onto another customize halo setting with split-shank, and I am lovin'' it!

Photo035311spin.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I like colored stones in solitaires as well as in other types of settings. I tend to prefer diamonds in solitaires as opposed to halos, 3-stones, etc, but with colored stones, I don''t have a preference. Most of my stones are in solitaires, and in fact, I''m having a garnet set in a very simple Tiffany-style knife edge as we speak.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are very pretty.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like them alone myself. Unless it''s a 3 stone or something, I really like them as the center of attention. Bezel, semi bezel, prongs, whatever.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve got quite a few solitaire gemstone rings. I think it depends on the type of look you want.

-A

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love CS solitares! I don''t think they have any of the drab qualities you mentioned.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like colored stone solitaires and have two! They really showcase the stone IMO.

Here's my spinel

phpjAFzmWAM.jpg

Here's my zircon (not my hand - my own rl pics are so craptastic I haven't posted any yet)

rsz_1lizcfinishedring9.JPG

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I think that would be really pretty, Uppy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results