shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire Setting question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I am planing to set a 1.7 ct EC stone on a platinum Tiffany Solitaire Setting. I saw several rings in a local B&M store, each one of them having different widths, say like, 2mm, 2.5mm or 3mm.

I liked the idea of a smaller width, because it makes the diamond look a lot bigger. I think everyone agree with me on this. Will there be any durability problems if go for a 2mm ring. Should I go for a bigger width ring? I will really appreciate any suggestion in this regard.

-Raja

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
hey you got your stone! congrats! i think 2mm is fine but you dont want it to be too skinny for the stone either

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Not yet. By this week hopefully:) I am planning to drive from DC to Philly to get it appraised from AGA. I hope to have more information and pictures by early next week. Thanks for all your advice windowshopper

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
well almost.... my band is just shy of 3mm. 2mm is absolutely fine stability/durability however it is getting narow and you may find that you dont have enough weight to balance the head (terminology?)....your jeweler may be able to advise

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Well yours is a LOT bigger rock that mine:)

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
the size of the stone is a factor but so is the head/design/side stones etc...

saffiebella

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

I am just wondering if you are buying your diamond from Tiffany. We have a family diamond that we would like to set in a classic Tiffany setting. I was told that Tiffany does not sell settings on their own. Is this true? Where are you getting your Tiffany setting from?

Please e-mail me: [email protected]

Thanks!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
2mm is fine, but you just need to make sure that the thickness makes up for it. IOW, if the width is 2mm, but the ring lies virtually flat on your finger, then it''s going to be flimsy. If it''s pretty thick, then it will be okay.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
You could have a jeweler recreate a Tiffany setting for you. It won''t have the Tiffany stamp, but if you provide pictures I''m sure someone can do it. There are a lot of jewelers on this board that may be able to steer you in the right direction!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
2mm is fine, but you just need to make sure that the thickness makes up for it. IOW, if the width is 2mm, but the ring lies virtually flat on your finger, then it''s going to be flimsy. If it''s pretty thick, then it will be okay.

Hess would you mine clarifying, i read this a few times but still don''t understand what you are saying (maybe it''s the wine I had with dinner tonight?? :)

My ring will possibly be 2mm as well.... what do you mean about if it lies flat - I don''t understand ?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, 2-3mm wide are basically dainty looking bands. Thin bands (thickness not width) are not too durable and get deformed with wear - so that''s not great regardless of width.

It may be that thin bands let the stone stand out, but the whole ring looks petite on the hand - so I can''t say wide bands do not make impressive rings. Just a matter of choice, I guess
4.gif

ThinThickBands.JPG

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Have you seen your diamond placed "onto" the band you are considering? If it is a very bright diamond, it will stand out just fine!!! You really need to see what the two look like together - diamond and band....you might be surprised......
A lot of people do that and then choose something totally different from what they thought they wanted.!!
37.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results