shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire/ loose diamond help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

incision

Rough_Rock
I am looking for a loose diamond, or solitaire for an engagement ring to be mounted on Platinum. Keep in mind that I am mostly concerned at the appearance of the stone at arms length.

I have found and like very much the following diamond:

Princess cut
carat wt 1.73
GIA cert
Measures: 6.63X6.48X4.70 mm
Depth 72.5%
Table 69%
Girdle slightly thick
Cutlet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Clarity Grade SI1
Color Grade : G
Fluorescence: None

Here is the problem:

1.) The price is $9800.00, my budget allows about $8,000.00 for now. I could pay the rest by 1/15/05 (6 weeks), but have not been able to get the vendor to agree to get balance with CC guarantee, hold on check etc.
2.) For a wide variety of reasons she expects engagement by X-Mas (my attorney's wife leaked to her my plan!)
3.) I have considered a lesser stone, SI2, H color, but I am afraid I am at the limit of a quality appearing stone, and don't want to compromise appearance or size.

Any suggestions?

incision

Rough_Rock
Isn''t the table a little large? Will make much of a difference? What discount is given by mentioning price scope?

Thanks!

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Any suggestions?
Yup...get a smaller stone that you can affort now... Tell her you''ll upgrade with the birth of your first child.

Good Luck!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That one is deep and has a thick girdle (which is worse for size than depth is, really) - so it does not quite cut it in the spread department. Some 1.5 carat piece would look just this big and come at a better price.

Here's one: 1.55cts 6.5mmsquare G-SI1 and another, just a hair smaller in size 1.5cts 6.4mmsquare G-SI1

incision

Rough_Rock
Well, I must admit I am confused! I thought a thick girdle was good, and a thin girdle was bad? Not true?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you should steer clear of either of the extremes, thin or thick. with thin girdles, you risk chipping on the edges (though, you get more spread--your diamond looks bigger). with really thick girdles, (ct)weight is hidden in the girdle making your diamond look smaller.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2004 9:34:26 AM
Author: belle
you should steer clear of either of the extremes, thin or thick.
The extremes are called "extremely thin" and "very thick", the middleground between them is three categories: "thin", "medium" and "slightly thick".

Honestly, I like to hear "medium" the most and then "thin - medium", but any combination of the three is out there.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results