shape
carat
color
clarity

Soldering rings that aren''t flush

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PrincessClyde

Rough_Rock
Hello all! My e-ring did not have a matching wedding band. Because of it''s design, it was impossible to find a wedding band that would sit flush up against. We ended up just finding the band that looked the nicest with it. Now I am wondering if I should have them soldered together or not. Some seem in favor of soldering and others are definitely against it.

I like the idea of having two rings, just in case I ever want the option of wearing them separate. But at the same time, because of the design of each ring, if the rings move at all on my finger, they don''t look right together. So soldering them together would keep them lined up perfectly and they would always look great. Plus, I would only have one ring to worry about rather than two!
1.gif

I am curious what you guys would do in this situation? Thanks!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20, isn''t it?
1.gif

I didn''t want my rings soldered together, either.....I wanted the option/freedom to wear my wedding ring alone. As such, I was adamant about getting a straight band (instead of a curved one to hug my 3-stone).

In the 14+ months I''ve been married, how many times have I done it....worn my wedding band alone? NONE. I''ve NEVER not worn my e-ring. I''m sure there may still be some as-yet-unforseen time when I''d want to wear only a wedding ring.

If I were to do it again, I''d get my e-ring/w-ring soldered OR have it curved to fit, and I''d simply get a second band--a shared-prong eternity band--for stand-alone wear.
1.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
You could have them soldered together and see how you like it, and if you hate it then have them separated. It''s not something you are stuck with for life.

I couldn''t have imagined not wearing my e-ring either, but then I started volunteering at a wildlife rescue center and there were several factors that combined to make me just wear my wedding band when I go to work. There''s a lot of banging on dirty, rough surfaces; there''s a lot of poopy stuff with diseases in it; my setting sits quite high and isn''t great with gloves, and so on. I didn''t want to spend the day stressing about damaging my precious ring, so it''s easier to just not wear it to work. If I had a set that was soldered though, I''d want a "spare" to wear on its own.

My difficult decision in that case would be whether to get an identical wedding ring to my original, or something a bit dressier. Probably a good excuse to get both
1.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I had my wedding set soldered together and absolutely hated it. I''ve since had them separated. I can''t say exactly why I disliked it so. One reason is that my rings don''t sit perfectly flush either (although they are a set) and I really didn''t like seeing the gap always in the same place. Personally, I like it when my rings move around a bit. Granted, my rings are eternity which means that it doesn''t matter whether they line up. It''s not a big deal to try it and see how you like it. If it drives you crazy always having to set your rings straight, then maybe it''s the right choice for you. It definitely wasn''t for me.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/22/2005 3:25:30 PM
Author: PrincessClyde
Any other opinions?
you can get a 2mm plain band and use as a spacer.

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
lol.. I just asked the same question. wonder how I missed this thread.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I agree with DF that you can use a spacer, but I have to say I tried that and didn''t really love the look or feel of it.

Here is a picture of my rings with a spacer I bought about two weeks ago. I found it to be fairly uncomfortable to add yet another ring into the mix.

It looked fairly the same from a distance to others, but I could easily see the spacer and didn''t really enjoy the look.

bandwithspacer.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Ok, let''s see if resizing this so that you can actually see it works.
2.gif

bandwithspacer1.jpg

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been married for over 6 years and didn''t get my rings soldered for the same reason as you...I wanted the option of wearing just the band. In 6 years I have NEVER worn just the wedding band...it''s always been both or none at all. about a year ago, I decided to solder them because my channel band was always twisting around and it bugged me. I''m glad I did it, and I''m not sure why I waited so long!

Also, if your rings aren''t flush, is it possible to solder them so they are sturdy with the gap there?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its a choice each person has to make.
Someone I know has a nice set that is soldered together and has a plain 3mm gold band she wears when she is gardening or working outdoors or camping.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I dislike soldered rings. For whavetever reason I think it's kind of a way to mess up a beautiful set...by attaching them together in an old fashioned manner. It's just a mental block I have. I also dislike wraps though..they seem so 80's..hehee. The thought of one fat ring that I try to shove over my knuckles bothers me rather than being able to put one ring and then the other one. It's harder to get one larger mm'd ring on than it is 2 smaller ones, whenever I try to put both my rings on at the same time, I encounter this.

I guess for me the soldering is like a permanent solution which would bother me...I also prefer a bit of ring spin as do the others, it just reminds me my rings are there and I like looking at them at different angles or not sitting perfectly flush together sometimes, it's almost like having a few different sets other than one regular one. More visual interest I guess.

I would wear it for a while and see what you think before you get them soldered. Just my thoughts from someone who is not a fan of soldering.
9.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
My original w-set, my DH had soldered together before the wedding, which I wasn''t happy about, but he thought it would look better. So I lived with that for 10 years.

When we got my upgraded set, I told him I didn''t want them soldered!! I''ve had the set since March and when we went to Europe this summer, I would leave my e-ring in the safe and just wear the w-band...especially in countries where pickpockets were known to occur. I''m glad this time around we didn''t solder the set, or else I wouldn''t have the option otherwise.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I actually wear just my wedding ring quite a bit, partly because I never take it off. I have a long list of times when I don''t wear my e-ring: chopping meat, baking, moving furniture or anything heavy, swimming, bathing the cats, gardening, going to foreign countries, etc., etc., etc. Plus, like Mara, I really don''t like the look of soldered rings, so that contributes to it.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Mara and some of the others; I am not crazy about the soldering idea. I like being able to wear my rings separately. Also, someone mentioned the idea of going to places where there are pickpockets; a jeweler just the other day said he recommends always having a "spare" for travel and things like that. I don''t think you need a spare, but to be able to take off the eng. ring and just wear a wedding ring is handy. Around the house when I''m alone, I often just wear my wedding band; there is no need to wear a 1 ct diamond while gardening. But going out I almost always do wear them. Also, Mara brought up an excellent point about a wider ring needing to be larger to go over the knuckle than two narrow ones. So my two cents is, keep them separate. But of course it does depend on how you''re going to wear them.

peachy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/22/2005 1:11:05 PM
Author:PrincessClyde
I like the idea of having two rings, just in case I ever want the option of wearing them separate. But at the same time, because of the design of each ring, if the rings move at all on my finger, they don''t look right together. So soldering them together would keep them lined up perfectly and they would always look great. Plus, I would only have one ring to worry about rather than two!
1.gif
I wore my previous wedding set soldered for a long, long time. Like you, when my rings moved, they didn''t look right to my eye, and having them soldered together was a perfect option for me. I did have a plain band that I used when I didn''t want to wear my wedding set. Eternity style sets, of course, look great no matter how they move...that''s one of the appeals of that style. But if that''s not what you have, and you prefer the look of your rings being perfectly lined up, I wouldn''t hesitate to solder them. It can always be undone. Good luck in your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results