shape
carat
color
clarity

So what does a good emerald cut look like in person?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Emerald cuts under 3 carats are rather hard to come by around here. I tried Zales and they looked like cut glass... somewhat dirty cut glass at that. In fact, cut glass would have been more appealing. Another place I tried showed me a radiant.
20.gif
Third place didn''t have one, and the fourth had a 3 carat and wouldn''t show it to me.
14.gif
(maybe I should have changed out of my sweats
9.gif
)

So my question is, what do they look like in person? I know they aren''t as sparkly as a round, that they have a different look. But they don''t really look like dull clear glass do they? There are flashes of sparkle, right? Could someone please describe how a real live emerald cut looks?
Thank you.
5.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an old co-worker that has a radiant cut and she kept calling it an EC! Drove me crazy. My EC is very sparkly and throws off lots of light and color and looks nothing like glass. I looked for L/W ratio (I like shorter, fatter ones), the actually step cuts (make sure they were even and a nice pattern). I believe they are coming out with "ideal EC numbers" but I think your eyes are your best tool. Where do you live. Maybe someone can suggest more places for you to look at.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I put this EC antique ring on my 'good to go' list for my bf as the design is rather nice and it's a real 1940's antique. And then I got to wondering what the heck it'd actually look like.
3.gif
I have no idea if I even like EC's.
Size 5.32 x 4.35 x 2.85
Weight .65 carat
Depth 65.5%
Table 68%
V. Good
V. Good
G VVS2
8132d.jpg

8132e.jpg

I'm not looking for perfect or ideal, just pretty.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I kinda suspect that if you had such a negative reaction to the Zales quality ECs that ya probably wouldn''t LOVE LOVE LOVE even the most ideal cut EC.

I''m also not suprised that your BF likes them. Especially if he''s an architecture junkie or modernist in any way.

Hopefully he''ll "hear ya" when you put in your 2 cents about your dream ring (or maybe he''s already bought one???)

widget

Ideal_Rock
I happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE ECs, but agree with DecoDe that they''re not for everyone.

I''d certainly look at a few more to be sure. Hopefully there''s a better place than Zales near you???

I agree that shorter fatter sort of ''asscherish'' ones like this are more sparkly than the beauty you posted:

wgls DBL.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thats sorta like trying to tell a blind guy what an elephant looks like
heheheheheh

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2006 9:41:16 PM
Author: strmrdr
thats sorta like trying to tell a blind guy what an elephant looks like
heheheheheh

Oh GAWD! That was funny.

I had never seen an asscher IRL just seem them on the net when I got mine. I HAD seen emerald cuts though, and didn''t care for them (but that''s because I''d never seen one set east/west, and I''d never seen a well cut one). It took me a while to adjust to the different type of sparkle that a step cut diamond has. As storm said, it''s not something we can explain if you haven''t seen one before.

SO... I would suggest going in to a MUCH better jeweler than Zales. If you can, find out what store in your area has good selection, call them up, tell them you want to come in and see emerald cuts as your fiance has said he likes them and would like you to see them in person before he considers buying one. Set up an appointment, ditch the sweats
2.gif
, and go in. That way they will have a couple for you to look at and will be polite and solicitous to you. If there''s another cut your interested in too... ask if they carry those as well. Most high end stores will be very helpful if you call in advance, sound serious, and go in looking like you can afford what you are looking at.
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
So true Storm!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
An e/c, when it is a good one, looks like looking down into something. It is not as obvious as a faceted stone, but has a quiet elegance to it. I always thought of them as beiing clean and simple. Of course, a gross one is no fun at all!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good EC to me is like looking into an icy hall of mirrors, so quietly fascinating....mesmerising....then BANG! It catches the light with huge flashes of brilliance interspersed with firey twinkles
3.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2006 5:23:07 AM
Author: Lorelei
A good EC to me is like looking into an icy hall of mirrors, so quietly fascinating....mesmerising....then BANG! It catches the light with huge flashes of brilliance interspersed with firey twinkles
3.gif

good description :}
The large flashes come from the middle (huge pavilion facets) and the twinkles will come from the ends mostly.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee - thanks Storm!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is pretty hard to describe in words. I know Ana once posted a 360 show of a gorgeous EC; I''ll have to look for that website.

You should be able to see all the gorgeous steps evenly. There should be a balance of narrow light and dark lines in the center with tiny sparkles like crushed ice at the two ends. When moving the EC from side to side, a rainbow moves from one end of the long steps to the other end (the long steps should light up with fire). The smaller corners should look like icy crushed ice (tiny sparkles).

Hope that helps a little. I''ll go look for that 360 rotating EC show now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results