shape
carat
color
clarity

So what do I do??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Okay, well a little while ago I posted about how the prongs on my diamond really bothered me. They were all banged up, not even remotely round. Everyone basically said if I could see it with my eyes alone, then I probably wasn''''t being too unreasonable and to bring it back to the jeweler.

Well, I finally told my fiance that it was really bugging me, and he totally flipped!! He is so concerned that something will go wrong if they have to re-set the diamond. You see, the first diamond he purchased for me was chipped when it was set, and the jeweler tried to get out of the blame (different jeweler than the one who sold us this ring). So he basically thinks that I should be happy with what I have. And of course I am, but I''''m not happy about the prongs, and in decent lighting conditions, I can so see the problems with the prongs (basically, whenever light reflects off the metal, you can see the less than stellar craftsmanship).

So should I just remain unhappy to appease him or what? I mean, with my luck and track record, if I go ahead with this, the diamond will chip or something worse!! Does insurance cover this kind of stuff?? I mean, I was not planning on bringing this to just any jeweler, I had wanted to bring it back to the jeweler who we purchased it from and see if he agrees with me that the prongs are less than satisfactory...Hmmm, maybe I should just start there and see what he says...I would hope that if they agree with the condition of the prongs, then maybe they will take responsibility for the setting of the stone again....Ahhhh, I''''m just so torn... What should I do???

Oh and sorry to ramble, just a little upset and confused right now....

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why not take it back to the jeweler you bought it from. Show him exactly what is wrong with the prongs and see if he will be willing to fix the problem. I would try that first and see what he says. Good luck!
2.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''m confused with the two different jewelers involved. Are they both local? You had jeweler #2 set the stone and it chipped? And then this same jeweler set the second stone but left the prongs messy?

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Stretch,

I seem to remember your post about the prongs. I think you should definitely go back to the jeweler and see what they have to say about your prongs. If you bought your setting and stone from this jeweler I am sure they will honor making it right (if they agree that the prongs should be fixed).

I don''t know how likely it is for your diamond to get damaged in this process (I doubt that it will), but having the original jeweler that sold you the setting and diamond working on it is IMO the way to go.

Good luck!!
2.gif

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Hey Stretch! Guess I''ll return the favor. If the same jeweler that messed up the prongs is the same jeweler that will be fixing it, then wouldn''t it be their responsibility if it chipped? I was wondering that myself since I may have mine reset and its a princess (with those persnickety (is that a word?) corners)).
33.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I have "prong issues" too! The prongs on my last ring were really nasty up close -- all banged up and squashed... I noticed it and it drove me crazy. I think it probably has to do with the skills of the jewelry-setter. Who knew?!!!

So when I recently had my diamond reset by WF I told Lesley that I wanted the prongs "small, rounded, polished and perfect"! I really did! And they are. And to me, it''s a HUGE difference.

I''d get it fixed!

Lynn

Christy42

Shiny_Rock
Love that kitten picture, btw, is that your cat, Stretch?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results