shape
carat
color
clarity

So upset!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I just found out that the Plaza in NYC is closing for 18 months starting at the end of April!
My parents got married there in 1969 and I had always sort of wished that I would get married there too. Just a romantic fantasy... but now it''s gone.
7.gif

Although my bf hasn''t proposed yet, I figure it will happen sometime this year. (Friends keep telling me it will probably happen around my bday in April...). However, I do not want a long engagement since I am turning 30 and it''s freaking me out.
I guess I will have to imagine my wedding somewhere else...
15.gif

blue_chica

Shiny_Rock
Aw
7.gif
That sucks ammayernyc...you''re stuck between a rock and a hard place. Maybe you will feel better about possibly waiting for the venue once the proposal comes though, since that''s a sign of forward progress?

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 10:33:40 AM
Author:ammayernyc
I just found out that the Plaza in NYC is closing for 18 months starting at the end of April!
My parents got married there in 1969 and I had always sort of wished that I would get married there too. Just a romantic fantasy... but now it''s gone.
7.gif

Although my bf hasn''t proposed yet, I figure it will happen sometime this year. (Friends keep telling me it will probably happen around my bday in April...). However, I do not want a long engagement since I am turning 30 and it''s freaking me out.
15.gif
What a bummer!! I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to have a wedding there! I can''t believe they would total close the entire operation for 18 months, that will be a huge loss of revenue. Usually a hotel will close parts in an ongoing renovation, so maybe there is a chance you might still be able to be married there
40.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2005 10:33:40 AM
Author:ammayernyc
7.gif

15.gif
Well all this means is that you have to get prosposed to and married by the end of April!!
41.gif
Just kidding...

I''m so sorry...18 months would be a long engagement, but hey, I''m doing 2 YEARS, so it is possible ;-) Maybe you and him could renew your vows or have an anniversary party at the Plaza when it reopens?? Just some food for thought!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
THEY ARE CONVERTING THE BALLROOM AT THE PLAZA INTO RETAIL SPACE?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? Thats just WRONG!! A travesty!

I seriously cannot believe that.. Why would they do that to such a beautiful room?

Have you seen the book "Preston Baileys Fantasy Weddings" ? They have a wedding in the ballroom at the Plaza in there. Its AMAZING and it is what I would want my wedding to look like if I had a billion dollars and 600 guests!
Its sort of my dream wedding location too ammayer.. so I totally know how you feel.

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you could have your engagement party there??????

I was a big fan of Eloise growing up and my mom once took me to the Palm Court in the Plaza for afternoon tea when I was about 8 (we didn't have American Girl then lol).

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to have an engagment party there -- except for two things:

1. It will probably cost something similar to having a wedding there, and I can''t afford to have two events of that magnitude

2. The Plaza is closing April 30th and I''m not even sure that I''ll be engaged by then, let alone be able to plan a party in such a short time...

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
hmmmm if you do get engaged by the beginning of April, then how about an engagement celebration dinner or lunch with both sets of parents (if possible).

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, that won''t work -- both my parents and his father have died, and his mother lives in Florida.

However, I do have lots of extended family, so we might be able to do something there... but they are next to impossible to get together.

Maybe we can just have an engagement celebration for the two of us... if it happens before April 30. Damn boy-time!

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
a celebration with just the two of you sounds like a great way to remember your parents and have a little romance of your own.
1.gif
Even if you are not engaged by the end of April, it might be fun to have a special dinner anyway.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe I can find some way or some friend to convince him to buy the ring and actually propose to me at the Plaza... that would be special!

Here''s for wishful thinking!
2.gif

kanne

Brilliant_Rock
THAT'S A GREAT IDEA
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
(now how can we make him think it was HIS idea?
2.gif
)

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Proposal at the Plaza would great, especially since you won''t be able to have the wedding there. I think you should have a little bird pass that idea onto him.

I''m sure that you will find another great place in NYC. Could you get married in Central Park?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, to get married in Central Park is a lot more difficult than it sounds. You need to get all sorts of permits for the ceremony, band, food... and there''s a limit on how many people you can have. (I work for the city, which is how I know.
9.gif
Not doing research yet...). Besides, there''s always the weather factor which freaks me out. Better safe than sorry with a nice indoor wedding.

I have one friend who may be able to plant the idea in my bf''s head about a Plaza proposal. She tends to say whatever is on her mind, whenever she''s thinking it.
2.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
ammayernyc, I am SO SORRY!!!!! That really sucks. But I agree with everyone that perhaps you and yoru bf (soon to be-FI) can have a romantic occasion there. The proposal would be best, obviously, but even drinks in the Oak Room or treating yourselves to tea some weekend afternoon? I''d enlist the friend though--that sounds perfect
9.gif

So sorry that it will not work out for a reception there, but there are so many amazing spaces in Manhattan, and you and your honey will have the wedding of your dreams one way or the other!

(And Lovey, ME TOO!!!! I was just so enamored of Eloise when I was a kid and also had tea with my mother at the plaza....we have a picture of me posing next to her portrait in her same pose when I was around 12.)

And just in general, I think this is SO f-ed up. It''s a landmark and it makes me so sad to hear this!

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
Aw hun
7.gif
that sucks.... maybe you could marry where your grandparents did? Or where his parents did?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about the wedding site loss...I know how you feel somehwat, recently when we found out that one of our fave restaurants in SF, where we got engaged, had closed!!!! I''m sure they will open something else there at the site but we are very disappointed. I never thought about it going away.
39.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/27/2005 2:13:21 AM
Author: Mara
I never thought about it going away.
39.gif
Thats why you need the engagement sofa to haul around with you for the rest of your life like me, Croi and TeeBee!
3.gif

Amm - I hope your friend can convience your BF to propose at the plaza! That would be very nice. And then take a napkin or something else with the name on it and a nice picture of the room and frame it and keep it forever! That way you will always have your proposal spot.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results