shape
carat
color
clarity

So upset- how accurate is AGA DIY cut grading tool?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I saw the link to AGA''s DIY Cut Grading tool and decided to get out my appraisal and GIA report and plug the numbers in. Sadly, mine came back a 4A. The lowest a diamond could get is a 4B
39.gif

So how accurate is the DIY cut grading tool?
7.gif

Thank you,

Carrie

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Carrie, I am sure you will get some good answers regarding this tool... DON'T WORRY if the numbers on your diamond didn't report as well as you would have liked - numbers are a useful tool but certainly not everything, if you love your diamond that is all that matters!!!! Plenty of diamonds have less than ideal numbers and are INSANELY gorgeous, so don't worry! When better help logs on I am sure you will get some good insightful answers, but enjoy your diamond!!!
35.gif
Numbers can be helpful but don't always reflect the magic and beauty of a diamond. Hope this helps a little.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Carrie, what are the numbers you input into the DIY?

Perhaps we can figure out what brought your stone''s grade down to 4A.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was what I was wondering too Rich, I am not familiar with this programme but possibly the numbers needed to be entered differently etc. But even if this isn''t the case Carrie, I am sure your diamond is beautiful!

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Are you talking about the charts they have up w/depth, table, crown etc. and their rating on the AGA scale? If so, they're just guidelines for stones that tend to be decent, but this is true especially for princess cuts. For princesses just look at, say, the numbers on Paul's Infinity cuts and you'll see that AGA guidelines are by no means even close to perfect nor predictive of absolutely stunning performance.

For rounds they might be better, though...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please give us the specs you filled in and I will check out the workings of the DIY tool. Many people unfortunately fill in wrong numbers.

It is a good screening tool, but not the ultimate way to select any diamond.

I'll try to respond quickly to your data.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Richard,

My GIA report states:

Rectangular Modified Brillant
5.82 x 5.53 x 3.95 mm
1.06 carats
depth 71.4%
table 73%
Girdle slightly thick to thick
Cutlet none
very good/good
VS2
F
No Flor.

This is so nice of you, thank you
21.gif

Carrie

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei (I love your name!),

Thank you so much; you are so sweet!

Yes, I do love my princess cut diamond. I was just surprised and then sad to see it rated so low. However, it''s still beautiful and if I ever upgrade or change my e-ring completely, I would still keep it. After all, my wonderful DH gave it too me
1.gif

Thank you again for your kind words!

Carrie

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you David!

From my GIA report:

Rectangular Modified Brillant (princess cut)
5.82 x 5.53 x 3.95 mm
1.06 carats
depth 71.4%
table 73%
Girdle slightly thick to thick
Cutlet none
very good/good
VS2
F
No Flor.

The DIY cut grading is a wonderful too; it just happened to be the bearer of bad news for me
40.gif

It''s ok, I still adore my e-ring
1.gif

Thank you again!

Carrie

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The thick girdle is a minor fault, not much else is wrong. Do you have the crown height percentage? If the crown height is okay then the stone is not 4A. Many people have accidently put the wrong data into the fields and then get false results.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Using a 10% crown height this diamond is a 1B grade...... Yours may well be less and more typical of most princess cuts, but unless the crown height is quite low, the stone is not a cut class 4 range type.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah Carrie, it looks like your diamond probably falls in a "fine make" (Class 2 or better) category, not in the Class 4 "fair make" category.

You won''t know for certain until you get that crown height percentage.

You must have put some numbers in wrong.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Thank you David and Richard!

My mistake, I was inputing my Depth % for the Crown Height. Crown height is not listed on either my GIA report nor my appraisal.

Thank you again
1.gif

Carrie

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/17/2006 8:55:14 PM
Author: february2003bride
Thank you David and Richard!

My mistake, I was inputing my Depth % for the Crown Height. Crown height is not listed on either my GIA report nor my appraisal.

Thank you again
1.gif

Carrie

I was going to say, that stone''s NUMBERS look nice and there''s no way it falls so low in AGA guidelines.

Hopefully you feel better now.
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great job guys!
36.gif
Yay - don''t you feel better Carrie?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Maybe GIA will supply the crown height on fancy shaped diamonds. I have not seen any of the new format GIA reports on any diamonds except rounds. Has GIA reformatted all their reports or only rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results