shape
carat
color
clarity

So many choices - help in determining direction....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RA

Rough_Rock
First - I have read a ton of posting on the board over the last week or so and have already learned a lot from all the regulars here. Thanks, but I still don''t know everything I need to as I can''t make a decision.

Can anyone give me insights into the same diamond (confirmed through the GIA report identifier) can be rated by 1 site as fair cut, and another as ideal? I looked a the numbers as best I could (not sure how to get crown height on an Emerald cut stone) on the Accredited Gem Appraisers website and it seems to be ok, but tough to tell without the crown height - do this even exist for an emerald cut)? Here are the details of the stone:

Site 1:
Diamond Details: Catalog ICEJ1151
Carat 1.02 Cut Emerald Color F Clarity VVS2
Report GIA
Cut Quality Excellent
Measurements 5.86x5.51x3.65
Length/Width 1.06
Depth 66.2 Table 60 Girdle stk- Culet None
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence None

Site 2:
Stock Number AA185884
Certificate: GIA
Shape: Emerald
Cut: Fair
Carat: 1.02 Color: F Clarity: VVS2
Measurements: 5.86-5.51-3.65
Length to Width: 1.06
Depth Percentage: 66.2 % Table Percentage: 60 % Girdle: STK-
Culet: None (Pointed)
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None (Inert)

Is cut evaluation really that subjective or is site 2 more conservative and better representing this diamond?

Also any advice on clarity for an emerald cut stone would be helpfull - I want to be sure that I get a stone that is eye clean and am not sure if that is VS2, VS1 or if I have to go better than that.

Thanks in advance.
R

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Well, I cant be very helpful re: the first part of your question, but when it comes to clarity VVS2 is probably overkill...For a step cut, stick with VS2 or better...I would be partial to getting something like an F/G VS1/VS2, this way you can be really sure that there will be no visible inclusions...My EC is G/VS1- and it is beautiful.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I can''t say I agree with Dani that the VVS is overkill, but you CAN go lower and still get an eyeclean EC and either save some $$ or maybe get a little bigger diamond.

My EC is a D/VVS2 and I wouldn''t have gone lower if you had paid me - but this is a VERY personal choice.

Since it''s the same stone that you''re seeing on different sites, is there one that will call it in for you so you can arramge to see it in person? It''s a very square emerald cut - is that what you''re looking for?

I''m not sure if I remember this correctly, so I hope one of our resident experts will help me out here, but I don''t believe GIA grades cut in fancy shape stones - if that''s the case, and it''s the store or website itself determining if the cut is excellent, fair, etc...then I imagine it could be subjective.

You really need to see this stone before you decide if it''s the ONE for you.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Forbidden, the specs you ultimately pick for your diamond is a personal choice, however, if you are looking to get the most value for your money, I would stick with the VS1/2 clarity grades. This way, it will still be eye clean, with no visible inclusions, yet you are not paying such a high premium that goes along with the higher end clarity grades...however, like I said before, I would not go below a VS2, just my $.02...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea where the ''cut grades'' come from... For some online shops, it may be only a quirk of an automated database - assigning words to that slot of the screen based on who knows what entry data there are for hundreds and hundreds of diamonds (probably depth and table - which really doesn''t mean much at all). ''Guess they count on very few buyers ever wondering what that mean anyway, on the assumption that is the seller had the guts to charge a premium for it... it must mean something
11.gif

VS should be very safe, and given the size around 1 carat... dare I say SI1 (there aren''t many fans of that choice apparently, but a few ''eye clean'' diamonds for sure - at least as much as I am concerned). I am not saying ''go look for SI1'' - it may even prove frustrating if a lucky very clean such diamond is not already in your way. But if one comes up, it would be worth looking at, IMO. Especially since emerald cuts with great brilliance are not in the majority, and who knows, there may be such an example of well cut SI around.

My 2c

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2006 4:50:13 PM
Author:RA

Is cut evaluation really that subjective or is site 2 more conservative and better representing this diamond?

Not subjective.. just uninformed. Probably none of those cut scores were assigned after someone looked at the diamond to evaluate brilliance and proportions.
7.gif
If that was the case, most likely there would be some BIG advertisement and a ton of info about it along with the deserved premium.

What you see .. would be silly rules of thumb - so imprecise, they can''t even be wrong!
9.gif

Not sure it is funny, but on a forum talking mostly about diamond cut it is. Especially before you made your choice.
38.gif

RA

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the answers and the feedback on the cut between the two sites.

I think this has all helped me to get a better idea of the clarity I am looking for and I think that I will stay away from the stone with the inconsistencies in cut rating - too many others to take a chance...

Again - thanks for all the information so far - this board is great!!

R

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results