shape
carat
color
clarity

So is there anything that is actually safe to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock

According to this article, it appears I should be a vegetarian: http://www.slashfood.com/2009/10/22/grilled-chicken-lawsuit-accuses-mcdonalds-of-serving-cancer-causing-meat/?icid=main|main|dl3|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfood.com%2F2009%2F10%2F22%2Fgrilled-chicken-lawsuit-accuses-mcdonalds-of-serving-cancer-causing-meat%2F# since cooking meat creates a possible carcinogen. However, some studies show that eating high amounts of soy is risky: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sunday-telegraph/soy-cancer-warning/story-e6frewt0-1111112826510. That’s it, I’ll be a fruitetarian! Oh wait, but not grapefruit: http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news/Consuming-Grape-Fruit-Increases-Breast-Cancer-Risk-3A-Study-23263-1/. So I''ll just somehow subsist on ice, then? Nope, that''s not safe either: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2009/01/07/us/0107-nat-sludge.ready.html

Anyone else think that this is getting ridiculous?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the thing. People die. People have ALWAYS died. And now its big business to figure out "why". You can eat nothing but toenails your whole life & then get hit by a bus. You just kinda have to listen to your own body & go from there. I have a friend who was an obese vegetarian for 20 years who lost 60+ pounds when she started eating meat again. Carbs didn''t agree with her & she could never get "full enough" without meat. But then other folks have the opposite results. My Mom went gluten free in the last six months and its done wonders for her energy, ability to travel -- settled her mood swings & given her more mental clarity. Who knew? Targeting gluten is a new thing. My sister thinks she''s a new PERSON now. So SOMETIMES new info HELPS. Dunno. Puzzling.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve given up reading & listening to those people. One day they say fish is good for you so you should eat it more often the next they say fish is bad and should be eaten very little. Better yet, take the pills and skip the fish.

A balanced diet is good for you. Lots of veggies, lots of fruits, some nice lean meats. Bright colored. Lots of colors. The colors are different vitamins and stuff.

Nice fresh high-quality meat isn''t a problem. The mass produced chickens fed a special diet to make them grow faster while they live in a tiny cage in a room packed with other chickens ARE NOT the same as the chickens that are cared for and fed a decent diet. Also allowed to move around and watched to prevent disease.

Same with fish, beef, lamb, whatever.

Too much of anything is bad. Too little of stuff is bad. Just depends on your body how much of which part you need.
Bodies tell you what they need. If you feel thirsty, drink. If you are craving fruit, eat more fruit. If a salad sounds really good, eat it. If a nice steak is all you can think of, get a nice lean steak and enjoy.

Sorry. I''m just so sick of seeing these people who do "studies" and write articles saying that we have to stop eating everything.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
had a big post, then red deco''s response. +1 to deco. haha.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Just eat, enjoy, and eat a healthy balanced diet. These studies are seriously ridiculous. I eat grapefruit every day, I like burnt crispy marshmallows, I drink soymilk, I drink skim milk, I drink chocolate milk, and I love chicken. We are not going to die from eating. Sigh... sorry.... just some of this stuff is over the top.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Eating itself causes oxidative stress and damage to your cells as you break it down to energy you can use. Kind of ironic. A study showed that severely calorie restricting mice (while making sure they had all the proper vitamins and nutrients) lead to a longer lifespan, and so now some people out there are limiting themselves to 500 calories of beans and a multivitamin a day in order to live longer. Personally, I'd rather die a few years sooner and enjoy my icecream sundaes.

Generally speaking though, nutrition is a hazy field at best, randomized controlled trials into almost anything diet related generally have conflicting results, assuming they have a positive result at all. People react to different foods in different ways, etc.

There are so many other things to worry about when it comes to your health, I personally choose to eat a well balanced diet that keeps me feeling healthy and happy. I keep an eye on my general weight, my lipid profile and blood pressure, and don't worry about the rest.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I take it all with a grain of salt... I try to eat healthy well balanced meals.... I can''t keep up with this and that is out each week. Yanno??

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t even want to click on any of the links just in case I might see something I want to eat, hahaha.

Honestly nowadays you can almost always find any sort of article or study on how something is bad for you. Knowledge can be a great thing, but there can be too much of a great thing. Sometimes I definitely think ignorance is bliss!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results